Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Is there a law against world domination? ???  (Read 7309 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a law against world domination? ???
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:37 pm »

The problem then becomes: how do you choose a successor? Step 1: be immortal, otherwise your perfect empire with crumble. There are no other steps.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

If you can achieve world domination under those criteria, immortality should be a piece of cake.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »

The closet we had was Germany twice and Japan.
Citation that they were not totally out matched by the USSR/Russia and therefore had no chance?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2010, 10:29:14 pm »

The problem then becomes: how do you choose a successor? Step 1: be immortal, otherwise your perfect empire with crumble. There are no other steps.

Clones. 
Shoes...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:32 pm »

The closet we had was Germany twice and Japan.
Citation that they were not totally out matched by the USSR/Russia and therefore had no chance?
Oh sorry. I meant them as example as world conquerers in the modern world. Allies and Axis has totally taught me that it was a long hard shot for them to win, but they could have.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:47 pm »

Also time machine, go back 70 thousand years to Toba, lot less people to take over and you can be the literal father to humanity!

Also no laws as such that long ago.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2010, 12:21:14 am »

There's no law against world domination per se, but balance of power has been a keystone of international diplomacy ever since the War of Austrian Succession
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:12 am »

Clones. 
Correct.
Druid91, to poke a big hole in your gun control plans.

A: your subordinates have guns like you said? What happens when one of them wants to take your absolute power and they turn on you.

B: you can make a gun with 3 dollars of crap metal, a nice bicycle repair kit and a couple hours work.

If you can ever establish world domination, even if benevolent and perfectly legal, you will have established a president that every fascist, schemer and power tripping nutjob will be chomping at the bit to inherit.
Yes, as I said sure you could make guns, what do you do when my troops are using vehicle mounted firestrikes*? and better guns? and bulletproof armor?

* A recently built laser weapon that was designed to be able to burn through tanks at full power, it is also accurate enough to shoot missiles down
Remember the big memo leak of Citicorp saying they were above the law and were becoming a Plutonomy?
Citation?

I don't think it would take a googleplex amount of money to do so. The GWP is only like 50 trillion dollars or so.

So things like the Geneva Conventions wouldn't apply to you, and various other UN resolutions also wouldn't apply to your Corp. So exploding shells, chemical warfare ect... can be used legally against you.
Which means we can use them too, and just to make it a moral question in order to give the the more developed nations pause we would follow the Geneva convention just to make them feel like ***'s for not following them.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2010, 06:27:46 am »

If you can find a way to dominate the world without violating any existing international laws or the bill of human rights, then I'll gladly be your subject since you'll have achieved world peace

Would a nanotech style virus that constantly altered your state of mind to keep you content and happily believing a certain person was in charge of the world count as violating those rights? Not that mind of course, you wouldn't be allowed to mind or even consider wanting to mind. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:39:47 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 06:32:53 am »

Remember: It's only genocide if you lose
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 06:49:30 am »

Remember: It's only genocide if you lose
Nope still genocide, We just call it something else, the same way a preemptive counterattack is striking first.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:28 am »

Destroy all life and spend the rest of your days ruling a barren wasteland.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Also note that global economic domination breaks laws against formation of monopolies. So that's no go either.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19:59 am »

Which is why multiple puppet companies are used.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59:21 pm »

If people in positions of power are your employees then you're guilty of bribery. If they aren't expect laws designed solely to screw you over.
Well, if you remove the employment part (really, what's up with that?) it could work. There's a difference between bribery and lobbying, and it's mostly in the amount of cash you throw at the politicians.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6