Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Is there a law against world domination? ???  (Read 7295 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a law against world domination? ???
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:50 pm »

I mean if none of my employees are in positions of power, and if we are talking about after the fact I change the laws without having broken them.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 05:52:21 pm »

So none of your employees are in position of power yet you somehow end up in a position powerful enough to change the laws? Then my original point stands, the people who are in power will pass laws to prevent you getting to the stage of being powerful enough to change the laws.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 05:53:55 pm »

What about the current super corporations who are almost there as it is?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »

Almost being the key word, and I don't think I know of any corporations who actually do anything other than try to make money which is vastly different from world domination. If any of them turned to actually trying to rule countries you can bet those currently in power would stop them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 05:58:36 pm »

Unless they started doing a good job of it (which I bet could happen).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 07:25:04 pm »

They can try but it is not going to happen.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »

Suddenly, you own the world:

what do you do?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »

Sell the thing, way to much work to upkeep.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »

who could possibly have enough money to buy the world?

bill gates is short a google or two.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »

Teh SpaCe AleAns?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »

Remember the big memo leak of Citicorp saying they were above the law and were becoming a Plutonomy?
Citation?

I don't think it would take a googleplex amount of money to do so. The GWP is only like 50 trillion dollars or so.

As far as I know, there isn't a law that prevents World Dominations. The closet we had was Germany twice and Japan.

Though I doubt heavily if you could do it legally. There are host of laws and regulations both International and domestic that regulate, control and limit various aspects of power. From mutations laws, to market control laws ect.

Eventually you'll need to contest a countries sovereignty. This isn't illegal. Countries are allowed to go to war. Corporation which has ties with no sovereignty would be interesting though. Corporations (And you'd have to be a corp of some sort if aren't a country) are treated as a meta person. A singular entity when under laws. I don't believe a singular person can declare a legal war.

So things like the Geneva Conventions wouldn't apply to you, and various other UN resolutions also wouldn't apply to your Corp. So exploding shells, chemical warfare ect... can be used legally against you.

You couldn't take on the 1st world nations at first or ever. They're mostly allied with one another and have a strong standing military. They also have something that you and your corp would have a hard time doing so.

Renewable continual resources. A country through internal competition generates a lot of wealth and its mineral & monetary wealth is generally very mighty. It has a ready means to continue doing so and land resources to do so as well. As soon you declared war, any asset known about probably be ceased through the world and shut down.

So I think no matter how it starts as, it'll boil down to an endurance match were actual countries have an advantage here that will be hard if impossible to match or out match.

So if you took on a none aligned world. There slots of them in South East Asia, Africa and South America. It would just be an expensive endeavor no matter how its done. It also take /alot/ of time to reconstruct and/or reshift their economy to support your agenda. This is assuming that there wouldn't be continual internal strife.

So overall I think it would just be impractical and impossible in a modern world. I also think it would be impossible to due so in a lifetime.

But yea there no law strictly saying 'No taking over the world!'. However, I find it hard press to do so illegally. Eventually you'll break a law on some level somewhere to do so.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:33:11 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »

Teh SpaCe AleAns?

show me these space aliens.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:11 pm »

Teh SpaCe AleAns?

show me these space aliens.

Ahem.

Just kidding [size=0.5]or am i[/size].

If I happened to gain possession of the world, I'd probably set up a still and a tower cap farm.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »

Druid91, to poke a big hole in your gun control plans.

A: your subordinates have guns like you said? What happens when one of them wants to take your absolute power and they turn on you.

B: you can make a gun with 3 dollars of crap metal, a nice bicycle repair kit and a couple hours work.

If you can ever establish world domination, even if benevolent and perfectly legal, you will have established a president that every fascist, schemer and power tripping nutjob will be chomping at the bit to inherit.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 09:21:34 pm »

If you can find a way to dominate the world without violating any existing international laws or the bill of human rights, then I'll gladly be your subject since you'll have achieved world peace
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6