Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Touch of Armok: blood everywhere  (Read 4020 times)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
The Touch of Armok: blood everywhere
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:13:39 pm »

Two of my dwarfs went insane so I had the military test out their new steel axes. Now every dwarf in the fort is covered in the blood of their insane brothers. Everything they touch gets smeared with blood. Every level of the fort from top to bottom, the outdoors, the brook, even z-levels and rooms that weren't mined out yet when the dwarfs were hacked to bits. Blood pours down stairs, fills the well, paints the Depot, carpets the entrance, fertilizes the crops, my dwarfs are clothed in blood. The blood has been spreading for years. When I open the floodgates to water my farms, their blood magically appears in water (they were killed 5 z-levels below the surface, nowhere near the brook) and it coats the walls with more blood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this a bug, or do dwarfs just naturally have 10-50 thousand gallons of blood in them, or have I just been blessed by the Blood God?
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: The Touch of Armok: blood everywhere
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »

I consider all three things ou said the truth!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:14 pm »

I've seen this too, in my fort after initial goblin raids. Mine wasn't in the main part of the fort, though, and it was still annoying. A fellow forumdwarf suggested that it was because the dwarves get blood on them, which they then clean off. On being cleaned, the blood falls to the ground. Rinse, repeat. BLOOD CYCLE.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:17:05 pm »

Something else I noticed is that you need a seed pool.
This could be from a innocent wildlife creature you killed, or the guy you dropped a z level to test the health care.
Once there is a seed pool, it will absorb blood and spread.
In one of my forts I had something similar to what you had, but there was 20 different types of blood.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:19:32 pm »

I say we keep this blood, its so awesome and too useful for our crops!  8)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:02 pm »

Is this a bug

Does it crash the game? Will it destroy your fort for no reason? Does it hinder the game in anyway?
If no, then it is a feature  ;D
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

I got this bug too. A kobold thief was killed by my heroic military (mostly beaten to death with training swords, despite the fact they had perfectly good iron swords equipped too... guess they just like random cruelty) on the surface. He never made it into the fortress.

I have a water storage hall that gets its supply from an underground river/lake that is not connected to the surface in any way. There are a few wells in my dining hall (about 20 or so z-levels deep!) that get their water from this well.

And about a year after this one kobold's death, his blood suddenly started appearing around the wells! And it keeps spreading, covering the floor of my legendary dining hall with blood.

My dwarves must be used to it by now though, because they eat in the dining hall without issue...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »

I got this bug too. A kobold thief was killed by my heroic military (mostly beaten to death with training swords, despite the fact they had perfectly good iron swords equipped too... guess they just like random cruelty) on the surface. He never made it into the fortress.

I have a water storage hall that gets its supply from an underground river/lake that is not connected to the surface in any way. There are a few wells in my dining hall (about 20 or so z-levels deep!) that get their water from this well.

And about a year after this one kobold's death, his blood suddenly started appearing around the wells! And it keeps spreading, covering the floor of my legendary dining hall with blood.

My dwarves must be used to it by now though, because they eat in the dining hall without issue...

Dwarves clean themselves off at wells. This means that all the crap they're covered in lands on the floor by the wells. This raises interesting possibilities for poisoned blood...

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:21 pm »

Should be getting some nice, horrific engravings out of this.

Strawberry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »

I made a swimming pool, and marked it as a meeting area.

It was grey after about 5 minutes, from the 8 different kinds of blood in it.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:50:31 pm »

We're looking at this problem all wrong. We need more blood smeared on everything, and see if we can't encourage Armok himself to make a guest appearance. ::)
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:07:12 pm »

Yeah I keep getting blood deposited at my well too from dwarves cleaning themselves, but surprisingly my fortress inhabitants seem to be fairly conscientious about mopping it up - at least in the main fortress area. There's blood all over the walls of the access stairwells and outdoors which no one cares about though. Also there are 8 different types of blood spatters mysteriously floating in the air at each level of the waste incineration chute.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »

If it is a bug, its the most awesome bug ever!

I love what you have done with the place.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »

Yeah I keep getting blood deposited at my well too from dwarves cleaning themselves, but surprisingly my fortress inhabitants seem to be fairly conscientious about mopping it up - at least in the main fortress area. There's blood all over the walls of the access stairwells and outdoors which no one cares about though. Also there are 8 different types of blood spatters mysteriously floating in the air at each level of the waste incineration chute.

I keep my dwarfs busy so they never get around to mopping blood. But now the blood of my fallen dwarfs has been joined by the blood of Slexsmul Masnamamlu, Hill Titan. Though their bodies are long since rotten, their blood will live on forever.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:56 pm »

I have found at through testing in arena that water does wash blood away so right now I am planning three 10z levels waterfalls to clean any dwarf who enters any of the 15 dining rooms in my fort.
Pages: [1] 2