Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A library.  (Read 442 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A library.
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:44:08 pm »

This one might be tricky to code, I dunno. I was looking at the new stuff about skill decreases and it kinda made the OCD fairy start shouting. I thought about it and came up with the idea of a library - a room where dwarves can go to brush up on skills, and to maintain skills they have.

I'd probably set it up so you could get the first two or so skill ranks from studying, that'd represent learning the basics of something without actually mastering all the little tricks of the trade, and after that so that any dwarf studying would be able to regain any lost skill, up to the maximum skill level he or she has earned through working. This way your doctors don't forget how to fix broken bones or whatever, miners don't forget how to dig, whatever.

When the dwarves study could be a nobles toggleable option, possibly the book keeper arranges it so that all dwarves have study time each [user defined time period] and the dwarves will run off and read. (I know book keepers are accountants, but it doesn't really fit with any other noble).

The library itself could require stocking if you want to make keeping one challenging, either with bought books from traders or by having dwarves with the relevant skills write their own. This task would obviously take awhile, and there are a few skills that could play into the quality of the finished book. First is obviously the skill the dwarf is writing about, after that would be teacher and observer, both to represent how easy the book is to learn from, the teacher skill would represent how well laid out it is, and the observer skill would let your dwarf fill the book with useful little things he/she noticed. Obviously the finished books would all use the well crafted/superior/masterwork/whatever system once finished, but these checking against these skills would make an interesting way to determine the end result.