Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions to enhance the Demon  (Read 419 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions to enhance the Demon
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

I was thinking about how an adventurer should be able to kill the demon, but a fortress shouldn't be able to, and how to do this without simply causing the "end game" screen to come up.  I mean, right now, drawbridge defences would make this pointless, but nevertheless.  Let's just focus on military might.

An old thought I had had was to give the Demon the power to drive dwarves mad.  If it's a 50% chance per dwarf in the fort, that'll easily end the fortress, while allowing the adventurer a 50% chance of getting close.  But there are other methods that could work too.

Give the Demon a "Base strength", and then have it get stronger from there depending on how many creatures are near by.  It adds the strength of others to its own.  This would also make it a necessity for an adventurer to kill all the random wandering monsters before tackling the Demon, and since the adventurer's own strength is also added to the Demon's, it will always be a tough fight (but if it's 1-on-1 it should still be possible.  VERY difficult, but possible).

Any other ideas?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to enhance the Demon
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

I always saw the adventure mode as being the typical 'hero' of stories, someone the gods or some higher power chose.

ONE man destroying a demon who took out a fort isn't 'stupid' its EPIC. The unbalance is on purpose I beleive. While fort mode is about controlling NORMAL dwarves, adventure mode is about controlling a 'special' being.

Maybe the fight should be harder, but you don't NEED to look for an explanation

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>
Give the Demon a "Base strength", and then have it get stronger from there depending on how many creatures are near by.  It adds the strength of others to its own.  This would also make it a necessity for an adventurer to kill all the random wandering monsters before tackling the Demon, and since the adventurer's own strength is also added to the Demon's, it will always be a tough fight (but if it's 1-on-1 it should still be possible.  VERY difficult, but possible).

Any other ideas?</STRONG>

The demon gains strength from the creatures you kill. That would make the fight more challenging, as you would need to focus on the big guy while hordes of little ones stacked five high are taking potshots at you from all sides.

Kind of makes a little bit of sense. The demon gains strength through the death of other creatures.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

Zombie dwarves anyone?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

the demon doesent need to be EPIC, but it should be powerfull, instead of a demon being able to kill an entire fortress alone make it so the demon causes all the creatures in river,chasm and magma to go nuts, so now all the crocodiles an snakemen swarm from the river, the chasm spews out batmen/ratmen/whatever, and from the magma comes several realy strong magma mini demons and the demon itself.   this would make it so that you could see how your fort dies (and how many demonic minions would die).
then when an adventurer comes by to kill the demon there would be less enmies at the fort because the demon has ordered them all to attack nearby sttlements.

But if the fort is on a glacier or remote location then they would all stay in the fort making the adventurers job extremely hard.

Nexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

Thats a great idea, Pitchblack.  Some of the monsters could spread to the adjacent lands, causing trouble, maybe even making majors and kings generating quests for adventurers to get rid of them.  Then, after a few missions, the adventurer could find a hint, either an object of some sort with engravings from your fortress or a map (or both).  The demon could become a real civilisation-like power, capable of raising real armies if left unchecked for too long.

The challenge of staying alive during the demonic invasion is a great idea too.  Of course, in the end the fortress would succumb, but making the monsters miserable before that sounds like a lot of fun.  Imagine finally arriving with an experienced adventurer to your old stone halls, littered with decomposing or already skeletal remains of a desperate battle. (I dont think monsters would be too keen on cleaning up  :p )

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

And how about, after the fortress dies, the demon can even bring back dead dwaves as skeletal/zombie dwarves (do zombies decay into skeletons eventually?). They could have the stats they had in life, too, so you would have to fight your zombie/skeletal army, too!

Edit: AND the ones in graves... scary!

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

I'd opt for the standard "need mythical/special armor" route to defeat the demon. Find three different pieces and you can clear out the fort. Or something.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

I think you definately should be able to at least try to fight the demon in fortress mode. It would have to have some dramatic introduction or something, too. Like, you're happily mining adamantine when suddenly:

A great fire is spreading through the tunnels! Flee!

And we're talkin' a wall of fire engulfing your mining operations. This would merely set the stage for the big fight, however. Once the demon is spotted:

A mighty demon has been unleashed from it's prison! All is lost!

Obviously, it starts annhialiting everything in sight. I think the demon should be made more powerful altogether, really. So even your best dwarves don't stand much of a chance. If you do fail to stop it, it should start unleashing hell on the overworld. Sending out minor demons and such, and this could make adventure mode seriously interesting.

Just my $.02.  :)

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nukeitall:
<STRONG>I'd opt for the standard "need mythical/special armor" route to defeat the demon. Find three different pieces and you can clear out the fort. Or something.</STRONG>

Maybe once magic is in the game and we can actually create special equipment like this.  Until then, I don't like the idea of there being some special equipment that only exists because the world generator decided to put it there.  It just kind of seems to go against the spirit of the game.

Edit:
Also, the demon needs to have some way of dealing with geographical limitations that would allow a player to basically seal it off, like collapsing rooms or whatnot.  It should either be able to burrow through rock, or if that isn't feasible it should be capable of teleporting.  Otherwise it would be too easy to pull off some sort of cheesy exploit.

I also really like the ideas of Pitchblack and Nexus.  The demon ought to bring forth all sorts of minions and really have an impact on the surrounding countryside.  I mean, these are supposed to be immensely powerful beings who could only be sealed away for a time.  They ought to have more effect than just chilling in the back of a cave somewhere.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: ricree ]