Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make Hauling and/or Running actual trainable skills. (Edited by request)  (Read 2508 times)

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It could probably be easily tied in with the existing toughness, strength, and agility stats.

Carrying lighter objects would encourage the dwarf to run faster, and train agility in the process.
Carrying heavier objects *coughstoneblockscough* would cause the dwarf to be slower (an encumberance system that includes the item being hauled, maybe?). Picking up such a heavy item would be a little strength training in itself, although the heavier the item and the lower the dwarfs strength, the longer it would take to pick up the object in the first place, and would determine overall rate of travel once the speed level is figured in.
Carrying either for a long distance (or maybe just after a set distance in a haul, or by a per-move basis) would help train toughness, which I assume helps the dwarf work longer before needing to knock back a mug of ale or some of that sissy elf-wine stuff, if that's all that is around.
The hauling skill itself would give a bit of a boost to the calculation of stamina/agility (Strength would be if you can figure a way to work it in, a well-versed gripping position that lessens the difficulty of a heavy load, I guess) And, like all other skills, without use, the skill would degrade over time, adding more reason to have task=specific dwarfs  ;D
Oh, and the hauling skill would be a great one to also put in pack-animals once that system is integrated and live, since practice makes perfect to beasts of burden, as well.

However, on a side note, two other things would have to be taken into account. One would be the person leading the pack animal/s out to gather things, would also need to train another skill, animal handling, perhaps. The better the skill, the faster the beast can be coaxed to go, up to 100% of it's actual speed based on it's hauling skill and stats. The more beasts a pack-herder tries to manage at once, the harder it is, and needs more skill to overcome the penalties, as well as the increased likelyhood of the beast rearing up and running away, possibly upending it's cart if carts are used instead of saddlebags, and requiring the herder to go chasing off after the beast to get it back to the cart.

Two would be that, unless by some odd turn of warped humor, dwarves actually learn to ride pack-animals, they are going to have to lead them by foot, the speed of both would be the lowest of the two (especially since riding the pack-animal would greatly increase it's load, but a riding system would of course need another skill, and that's too much for me to think about this early in the day.

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:48:14 pm by Thoranius »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Hauling or Hauling an actual trainable skill.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

Grand Master Sock Lugger is pretty dumb. We don't really need any more useless skills. Stat XP gain needs to be uncoupled from skill gains.

Animal handling might encompass riding in addition to other types of handling. Not sure how big a part the rider plays in keeping the horse calm in battle but it seems like a useful general skill for such purposes.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »

There are only so many ways you can carry something. It's not really possible to hold something more efficiently as you walk from place to place.

MaXMC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:08:24 am »

There are only so many ways you can carry something. It's not really possible to hold something more efficiently as you walk from place to place.

I take it you've never moved an entire apartment, or a house?

There is a reason you can hire professional movers, they know how to lift things (heavy things) without breaking their backs or hurting themselves in general.

I think hauling could be a passive skill. It could even be a trait in dwarves "McUrist likes to carry X around".  I think you should define bulk or size of the object to determine how fast you can carry it.  A ladder isn't particularly heavy but it's pretty bulky so you wouldn't want to run unless you have a long straight. For example.

weulitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:15 am »

There is a reason you can hire professional movers, they know how to lift things (heavy things) without breaking their backs or hurting themselves in general.

Recently saw a documentary about this old (50+) guy in one of these Italian costal villages that basically consists of a steep moutainside covered in houses with steep, narrow (~1m) stairs for roads. He makes his living by hauling bulky, heavy stuff up there - anything you would normally deliver by car and unload with a group of people.

I think the easiest way to implement hauling skill would be to make objects seem lighter for those skilled. E.g. a door with a normal weight of 1000 would only count as 900 for a skilled hauler.
"You'll be pausing to check what that little ~ means every 5 seconds for a while, but before you know it you'll be reading a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress like the guys in the Matrix decipher that green crap that scrolls down their screens."
quoted from Dr.Jonez on the Gamerswithjobs Forum

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:22 pm »

Another suggestion; make furniture hauling skill affect the "building quality" of furniture when it's laid down.

One major advance to this might be that you could have your haulers color-coded, so you can pick out who's a real craftdwarf and who's your 75th woodcrafter turned hauler.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:17 pm »

Another suggestion; make furniture hauling skill affect the "building quality" of furniture when it's laid down.

One major advance to this might be that you could have your haulers color-coded, so you can pick out who's a real craftdwarf and who's your 75th woodcrafter turned hauler.

haha after working as a removals man, (my stepdad is one for a living, and I've helped out alot) you see how much care you have to put in to not scratch or dent peoples property going up stairs, round tight corners, low ceilings, tight doorways.. it's a hard job!

you have to be strong, but very careful! and a good eye for space. office blocks and flats are evil to move out of! lol

anyway, as true to life as this skill would be, I think 'hauling effecting quality' would be detrimental to dwarves.. I mean, we have enough trouble with nobles as it is without them being fussy and trying to claim a scratched table on the Urist McHauler's insurance when it was like that in the last location ;)

but I do agree with being a better hauler, it would be better than just a 'peasant'. the speed should definately depends on the bulk and mass of the item, and the hauler's strength and hauling skill will increase the speed. It could also be a way of strenghening your militay! haha!

you could also apply it to 'nursing' and have your food/drink fetching for the wounded be faster and faster!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:12:28 pm by Maxxeh »

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »

I'd like it if it only trained strength and whatever affects tired. Again, moving stuff is actually a skill, albiet a fairly unrecognized one. Though if Urist Mcpumpman can get stats from turning a pump probably with some simple control, shouldn't Urist Mchauler?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:28:32 pm »

We don't really need any more useless skills. Stat XP gain needs to be uncoupled from skill gains.

This, although I'd say minutiae skills, not useless. The mechanics are already there for the game to measure skill less tasks and still apply xp. For example, people get paid in the dwarven economy for completing all sorts of jobs that don't raise skills.

It should be at the lowest level of skill gain though, adjusted so that only really full-time haulers that are fully employed get appreciable stats out of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

They do that differently now than they did back in the "dwarves'" day.  All they had then were wagons, mules, and donkeys - and few people had sufficient furnishings to merit more than a pack mule.  Nobles and the "rich peasantry" (as you might could call them) didn't need to move often.

As a side note, strength, agility, and toughness have been divided into several stats in the new version.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:34 pm »

Hi.

"There are only so many ways you can carry something" does not mean "There is only one way to carry things," which seems to be what you've inferred.

To expand on what I wrote earlier, there's pretty much a 'right way' and a 'wrong way' to hold something as you carry it. For pretty much anything presently in DF, you can learn the right way to carry its real world equivalent in a minute or two, if that, and thereafter you know it for the rest of your life. You're not going to continue to refine and get better at carrying something beyond a certain point, which in DF terms would probably be represented by very low number of experience points.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:03:05 am »

I think hauling could be a passive skill. It could even be a trait in dwarves "McUrist likes to carry X around".  I think you should define bulk or size of the object to determine how fast you can carry it.  A ladder isn't particularly heavy but it's pretty bulky so you wouldn't want to run unless you have a long straight. For example.

I'm a professional mover. The only real skill involved is placeing things correctly on the dolly/coordinting movement with the other guy when carrying something. The rest is just brute strength. The main advantage to hiring somebody, apart from not having to do it yourself, is the specialty equipment that we have.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:42:44 am »

Lol do you only move places with big corridors and doorways? With no stairs? High ceilings? Because it's not all about brute strength if you want to keep the owners house and property intact! Lol
you can only really use a dolly to go from the lorry to somewhere on the ground floor,(if the doors are wide enough and you don't have steps outside) everything else is more difficult than that!

Particleman, you're saying there's only one way to PICK SOMETHING UP. once you start carrying it through narrow dorf corridors, it'd get a whole lot harder!
This is mainly made difficult from the bulk of an object. The mass is just strength I agree.
Try picking something bulky but light up, even a box that's an awkward shape, and try running through your house and up the stairs. Unless you have a bigger house it's be a pretty hard job,(I live in England, in a place with alot of smaller houses) but the more you do it, the more techniques you learn. 

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:45 am »

I'm a professional mover. The only real skill involved is placeing things correctly on the dolly/coordinting movement with the other guy when carrying something. The rest is just brute strength. The main advantage to hiring somebody, apart from not having to do it yourself, is the specialty equipment that we have.

Then again, the only real skill in wearing armor is putting it on, but armor user skill at least used to affect how fast you move wearing armor.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:04 am »

Make Hauling or Hauling

Hauling or hauling?  Would you like fries with your fries?
Pages: [1] 2