Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gave up a night of DF to watch "The Pacific" - Some musings  (Read 4309 times)

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gave up a night of DF to watch "The Pacific" - Some musings
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:58 am »

Well, I don't think anyone has suggested that each episode of each program needs to fairly portray each element present in such a huge war. But there is an interesting trend.

Film 1 about the PAcific theatre comes out. It just happens to be about the US. Marines.
Film 2 comes out. It's also about the Marines.
Program 3 comes out. Same old.
Program 4.

Now, once in a while you'll get the odd out-of-left-field program that features someone else. But it generally gets ignored, or hasn't received enough funding, owing to the fact that it's not about the US Marines, which has proven to be such a popular formula thus far.

Before long, popular culture around the world widely believes the US Marines won the 2nd world war. (An obvious overstatement of the problem. For illustrative purposes only.)

This is not to disparage any of these programs individually, each of which may or may not have treated their subject matter appropriately. But market forces edit our understanding of history. My initial question was whether or not this program would add to the problem as discussed.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 11:45:00 am »

See, now this is what my grandfather meant by what he said. Thank you for the clarification!
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 02:10:44 pm »

There's more than a few films about the Pacific theater that don't focus on the Americans, you know. Some are quite popular but I get that they'd be popular outside of America only in most cases.

EDIT: not that I don't agree. The vast majority are about America.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:31:36 pm by Jackrabbit »
Pages: 1 2 [3]