Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the World through Fortress mode  (Read 899 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing the World through Fortress mode
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:55 am »

I was thinking about all the overly large scale projects that people do, namely damming rivers and flooding the mountainside with magma.

Eventually, I think it would be awesome if this created a persistent change to the region outside of your fortress site.  For performance, it would probably be easiest to do the recalculation when a fortress is abandoned, but I think it would be more interesting if the changes were calculated seasonally or annually so that, even if you don't see it happen, the landscape changes as you play.

Damming the river should remove its tiles downstream, and depending on the presence of aquifers, possibly even change biomes downriver.  Rerouting the water off a different edge of the map could cause the river to be generated again in a different direction.

Pouring magma onto the hillside and watching it flow off the map should scar the landscape around your site, and eventually create a new obsidian layer with no plants growing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the World through Fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56:02 am »

Pouring magma onto the hillside and watching it flow off the map should scar the landscape around your site, and eventually create a new obsidian layer with no plants growing.

(Solidified) magma is actually extremely nutrient rich.  It takes a few years for the plants to show up and break the obsidian (and other igneous rock types left behind) into arable land.

You ever seen pictures of Hawaii?

Its a volcanic island made of obsidian.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:08 am »

(Solidified) magma is actually extremely nutrient rich.  It takes a few years for the plants to show up and break the obsidian (and other igneous rock types left behind) into arable land.

Not just the obsidian (which is silica), but also volcanic eruption also bring up "valuable" potassium and other chemicals (valuable for plants).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:13:06 am »

Not just the obsidian (which is silica), but also volcanic eruption also bring up "valuable" potassium and other chemicals (valuable for plants).

I was trying to find a reference on why lava flows made for good soil, but couldn't. :-\

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:13 pm »

Right, but I was refering to a newly cooled obsidian layer.  Certainly if you wait a few years it should start getting plants in it again.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »

(Solidified) magma is actually extremely nutrient rich.
...oh, damn, you remembered to add "Solidified". I had a whole slew of possible jokes to post ???.

Gasp! Can we start fortresses there?!
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »

Putting the prime farmland near active volcanoes is also a damn fine balance trick.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »

Putting the prime farmland near active volcanoes is also a damn fine balance trick.

Gives whole new meaning to "a (crashing and) burning economy"