Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding material choices to crafting, masonry, carpentry, and other workshops.  (Read 736 times)

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since it's possible to choose the type of material used at the metalsmiths forge, why not at the other workshops as well?  It would be a great boon to the micromanagers out there, (we all know who we are) to personalize each dwarves bedrooms with blocked walls and furniture goodies out of the materials they like. As it stands currently, you have to eliminate all intake of the raws of the task you want to perform to prevent a new material of the wrong type becoming available to your dwarven laborer, mark all materials except the single one you wish used with forbids (which can be a real pain in the rump, if your bookkeeper isn't quite up to snuff yet and you have to hunt through rediculous z-layers of area to track them all down), or, slate a storage room full of them to be made, and hope that you get one or more of the one you need by sheer chance. Or do the single specific storeroom for every single base material related to the craft, and do the restrict to burrow method with your crafter, but again, it's just crazy.

Please, for the sake of all your OCD players, at least give the idea a once over  ;D

And, as always, awesome, enveloping game. I've waited for something like this for ages! Keep up the good work!

P.S. On a side note, another small additional feature along the same lines would be nice. If your bookeeper is high enough to have accurate counts on all your current materials, is there any chance that instead of having to skim the stocks screen before each build setup, if instead you could have it list when choosing the item construction in the workship the number of tries you have the materials for? Just wondering  ;D

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Metal selection is a bit more meaningful than choosing between a dozen different types of rock or wood. The work orders system should be utilized for custom jobs like these, ranging from "make black door" to "have this specific dwarf encrust this specific item with this specific gem in this specific workshop."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I currently do this by banning all non marble from being used in the stone screen. If I could tell my masons to use marble and my mechanics to use bauxite then let any stone craters use the rest my life would be easier :)

I support anything that lets me indulge my OCD issues.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, but when you've got a mayor or higher wanting that extra spiffy office/living quarters and the like, it is much easier if you can furnish them with furniture out of the materials they like to finish off those requirements. I mean, how many randomly made thrones are you going to make until he gets his fire opal encrusted cobaltite throne?  ;D And like I said, it's for the OCD players out there who like to give each of their subjects a room tailored to their likes/dislikes to prolong the time before the downward spiral of madness-mayhem after a few deaths. Although, I agree with you on one point, the menu in the metalsmithing shop is a bit long as it stands currently, making them available through the manager job queue would be easier, and make more sense.  However, adding the type to the make stone block choice in the stonecrafters shop would be a nice bonus as well, since the block is more like choosing a type of metal to smelt than say making a maple throne, for example.  ;D

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry about that, I found myself lacking the patience to slog through 14 pages of search results, for fear I might forget what I was going to post about before reaching the end of the list  ;D