Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: 2010 Succession game: Standardcobras! No joes or gnomes allowed!  (Read 8479 times)

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Succession game: Standardcobras! No joes allowed!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:33 am »

DISASTER!!

We were trying to dig out a moat around the enterance and I forgot mining out 3x3 squares = disaster.

QUICK! Prep for surgery! Get him to the hospital! Get-
... he bled to death in seconds.
The other miner fell in the river but was unhurt, but this was still a sad day in Standardcobra history. Now I gotta build a graveyard!

I assigned our boyer temporary mining duties.

What is this?

... As of this moment I have just submitted my resignation papers to the mountainhomes.

....... wow.
In other news the outpost Liason seems more interested in chilling in the dining hall and my office than actually talking to me. The damn elf has been here for *MONTHS* and still hasn't talked to me. Oh well, I don't blame her, I wouldn't wanna go wandering outside during the dry season either.

THIS PLACE IS HAUNTED! THEY DIDN'T LIE!

And thus ends my time as leader of Standardcobras. I leave the next leader with an elf babbling to me, Dark Gnome harassment runs, a possessed Dwarf in the Leatherworker's shop, and the occasional Zombie Goat sighting. Did I forget to mention those? Oh I am so TERRIBLY sorry....

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:32:16 am »

(Depending on if he's avaliable or unavaliable or goes crazy and runs into a wall)
I'm on the waiting list for another succession game, and the discrepancy was that I wasn't sure which game would get to my turn first..

thankyou for putting me on the list!

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:58 am »

That was an interesting first year, I managed to get a dwarf killed, maybe 2, and the dorf I dorfed myself as went on a crazed, cross country rampage chasing after gnomes!

Download file -> http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2109

Not my best fortress ever but I went in with no plan just wanting to throw something up so others had something to work with, something to criticize....

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00:26 am »

Always wanted to give one of these a try (I joined the DF crowd simply because I read the story of Boatmurdered...)

Sign me up!

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:36:15 am »

Always wanted to give one of these a try (I joined the DF crowd simply because I read the story of Boatmurdered...)

Sign me up!

Sounds like how I got into the game! And I'm adding you to the list!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Succession game: Standardcobras! No joes or gnomes allowed!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 06:20:25 am »

This place is a mess... Time to clean it up... Also how longs my turn go for? I'm assuming 2 years, yours went from 1050 to 1052 right?

Snap... I forgot to take pictures... I guess I'll have to take a load at the end.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:24:24 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kutan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:49 am »

Hahaha classic. Anyway, wooh! I can't wait for my turn! With my luck, nothing fun is going to happen.
AY LOL

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:38:46 am »

MY YEARS UP, SAVE CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2115

Self-appointed chief fortress carpenter, Ronin, looked out on the shambles of his new mountain-home with dismay... Nothing was in proportion, the area set aside for farming was not sufficient and worst of all the insults, the dining hall, if you could even call it that, it was more like a feeding trough for common beasts! How the elves would laugh when their traders arrived to this terrible display of dwarven architecture! “You there!” Ronin exclaimed, grabbing the nearest miner’s attention. “Deconstruct those stone-fall traps at the entrance, I will not suffer another moment of such cowardice, if we should be attacked we will stand and fight like real dwarves!” The miner scoffed “A good carpenter ye make Ronin but you know naught of war, those traps are our only protection until…” The wood-cutting axe narrowly missed him by a hair splintering a wooden support by the side of the tunnel. “I said deconstruct those traps you fool, I did not ask for your opinion on the matter.” The miner stood for a moment, shocked, before silently going about this new task, Ronin’s wrath was already legendary at Strandedcobras and there were whispers that he was present at the mining ‘accident’ last season, a revelation that made even the most bold of the pioneers blood run cold. “And after you’re done with that I want you to run by the dining hall, we’ve got some work to do on that too...” Ronin, having retrieved his axe was already half-way down the corridor, leaving the humiliated miner to curse his name in peace.

The mad doctor walked into the expedition leaders office, Teranar himself had urgently called for him. “What’s he done now?” The doctor asked. The expedition leader could barely get out the words, such was his fury “He’s… He’s… COLLAPSED the main supports holding up the dining hall, it’s buried under ten feet of rubble!” The doctor withheld a smile, as good an expedition leader as Teranar was, a fine dining hall builder he was not. “That’s terrible, where is he now?” Teranar grew red with indignation “He’s busy sowing plump helmets amongst the broken tables and upturned thrones! He insists that we need to expand our farms and the dining room was simply getting in the way!” This time the doctor could not suppress a small chuckle, that Ronin, he sure knew how to stir up a fuss. “YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY?” Spat Teranar. “WELL WE’LL SEE JUST HOW FUNNY IT CAN BE!” “Oh?” Replied the doctor.

Ronin had never been more pleased, expecting a reprisal for the little ‘dining hall incident’ he could not have been more surprised when Teranar announced that Ronin was to stand in as chief fortress architect and manager for an entire year! Ronin had already started construction on his first project, a mighty dining hall far into the North of the mountain, connected to the main shaft and ordered everyone that did not possess some kind of skill useful to the completion of such an endeavour to haul all the useless stone lying around into great stockpiles outside. One of the dwarves Asob Urdimisul refused to leave his workshop, muttering about needing leather and shells amongst other things “We haven’t got any shells you idiot, get out here and help with the hauling!” Ronin did not have the time for this, why was good help so hard to find these days?

A planter stumbled through the entrance of the mountain-home, “Ronin, migrants, we’ve got at least twenty coming from the East!” “Ugh more mouths to feed? Well I guess we could always use more haulers.” Ronin sighed. It had been a whole season already and the lazy layabouts still hadn’t managed to get all the stone out of Strandedcobras, at this rate nothing would get done by the end of the year! Realising the impossibility of the task before him when no-one could even provide him with an accurate idea of what building materials he had access to Ronin appointed a Record Keeper (seeing as Teranar seemed to be content to lock himself away in his office all season with some elvan liaison). Ronin thought himself not an unreasonable dwarf for all his faults and attempted to have the elvan liaison killed so that Teranar may perform his record keeping duties and free up another able-body for hauling duty. The military however, no-doubt taking some oath of un-dwarvfly pacifism refused to attack said elvan liaison. “Incompetent fools, the lot of you.” Ronin screamed. Why the queen had decided to waste his talents with the likes of this lot Ronin would never understand. That idiot Asob Urdimisul had finally done something useful today, dying of thirst after wandering the wild all season. One of the haulers took half a day retrieving his body and burying it inside the mountain-home, what a waste of half a day…

A fey mood struck one of the other carpenters today, he got all excited over creating a palm barrel… I’m trying to build a dining hall that will be talked about for centuries to come and this lunatic commandeers one of my workshops for a week to make a palm barrel… If the military weren’t busy off picking flowers somewhere I would have him packed inside said barrel and fed to the carps… Palm barrel… *Sigh*…

Haha, a stroke of good luck today! An elvan caravan travelled here from pansy-land with 18565 dwarf-bucks worth of goods (including two caged tigers)! I happily seized all said goods and sent the stupid elves on their way. They said that they’d be back… Ha… Let them come… This fortune will feed my slaves… I mean workers for months!

Ugh, more idiots commandeering workshops, this time to create a floodgate or a grate or something… I didn’t even take notice… Suddenly the palm barrel doesn’t seem so bad… More migrants too, we now have over 50 dwarves, thank goodness I had the foresight to put up those extra farms.

Well I completed the dining room and the farms as well as stocked us with enough food to last another few seasons… It will have to be enough for now… My time as overseer is up… May the next person to take the reigns of power continue my good work!

NOTE: I didn't achieve much except generally improving the fortress layout, I hope in the future I can have another turn and have a bit more fun :P.

PS - You can't see it from the picture but the farm extends three levels down and the new dining hall has a room of equal size above it dedicated to food storage... I suggest that the workshops inbetween the farms and the dining hall be converted to food orientated ones... I was in the process of moving the seed barrels down to the farms when my turn finished... Have fun Kutan!

PPS - I almost forgot... ONE OF MY DWARVES MADE AN ENGRAVING ABOUT AN ELF NAMED CACAME!!!!!!! It's the Red E, check it out... Please don't engrave the shit out of the dining hall... I want each new turn a few new engravings so we can get a gradual picture of all our accomplishments!

PPPS - I apoligise for my terrible writing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:55:33 am by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »

Awesome, I was just trying to toss things out there to at least get the base of the fort made, its already looking in much better shape! :)

Also did that elf ever leave or did she spend the *ENTIRE* year in my room? AND DID THOSE GNOMES COME BACK?!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »

Awesome, I was just trying to toss things out there to at least get the base of the fort made, its already looking in much better shape! :)

Also did that elf ever leave or did she spend the *ENTIRE* year in my room? AND DID THOSE GNOMES COME BACK?!

Gnomes are dead, elf won't leave, I even tried to force a squad to kill it, didn't work, they just stood around.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 02:16:40 pm »

Actually something else, our nation did conquor some elves at some point, that's why our fort liason is an elf. And has been in my room for a year. Obviously holding heavy negotiations. ;)

Kutan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

Standardcobras Overseer Log - 2nd Granite:
I've just been appointed as the new overseer of Standardcobras. Immediately, I can say that the condition of the fortress is a little grim; the severe lack of military is alarming, specifically after reading the notes of the previous overseer and their decision to seize an Elven caravan with no concern or preparation for repercussions. Another major concern is the obscene amount of disorganization and laziness I've seen everywhere in this "dwelling," if I can even call it that. These two things are of extreme importance to the prosperity of Standardcobras and will take priority in my next year as overseer.

Standardcobras Overseer Log - 6th Felsite:
Today marks the arrival of new beards. The fortress has been fairly uneventful aside from minor expansion. The disorganization was worse than I had forseen and I've had to completely replace and reorganize the work areas. I've also laid out new plans for a barracks to assist in training our soldiers, it's nothing special and I fear that I won't be around to see my fellow Dwarves make use of the facility, nonetheless I expect my successor to appreciate it. Various other facilities and rooms are being mined out as I write this entry, one of which I'll write about once I deem it's worth doing so. I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, but there's a strange female Elf liaison wandering the fortress, I can't decide whether to "deal" with her, or to observe and record her actions.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:44:31 pm by Kutan »
AY LOL

Monkey King

• Bay Watcher
  • I MUST HAVE BODY PARTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

That is too funny. I have immortalized our mad doctor in my profile.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »

Kutan: Oh good, we need a stronger defense force other than Teranar chasing dark gnomes across the countryside. Also did anyone finish my moat? I got distracted and forgot about it.

Also I noticed the following:
When did Teranar become a Legendary Axedwarf, Eral Athelkosh become a Legendary Fighter, and the miners become legendary??

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 11:18:10 pm »

Kutan: Oh good, we need a stronger defense force other than Teranar chasing dark gnomes across the countryside. Also did anyone finish my moat? I got distracted and forgot about it.

Also I noticed the following:
When did Teranar become a Legendary Axedwarf, Eral Athelkosh become a Legendary Fighter, and the miners become legendary??

Me... Every dwarf had to chip in and do his bit. They sort of trained up really fast somehow.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8