Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)  (Read 18349 times)

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 09:58:41 pm »

(Lol at previous post)
This is a good read~
I myself will mine out entire veins of ore and build my rooms in those to keep my fortress as unorganized as possible.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:11 am »

Argh, argh argh military!  :o Trying to get it to work, have run into a few bugs so far, using the forums to circumnavigate them. Running out of playtime (and patience) tonight, so just a little snippit. Oh, the suspense!

Log of Shorost Ômònul, Mayor of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

24th Felsite, 1058

Domas Olonlaz, an animal caretaker/hauler was the first to fall victim to Quothest. The military have been alerted and are assembling, but Quothest has found the mines, which run all the way to the surface.

Erib Nitiggoden, wood burner, was too slow to get out of the mines and was also struck down. I'm not sure why he was in the mines, but am saddened by the loss of two of our own, and will try to console their friends and family.

27th Felsite, 1058

I am thankful that no other dwarves seem to have run into Quothest. There have been plenty of frightened civilians, but no reports of death or injury since the 24th. Some of the dwarves here continue with their work, finding reassurance in their routines, while others huddle together trying to comfort each other. At least we have plenty of food and drink up here, as well as access to beds. The ready availability of these amenities will hopefully help keep morale up and hysteria to a minimum.

1st Hematite, 1058

Quothest is apparently staying in the lower caverns. Most of our dwarves are amassing at the original meeting hall, while our militia arm themselves in preparation for battle. I am not a military dwarf, but I'm not so sure that the best way to arm oneself is to take off all your normal clothing first, throw it around the barracks, then cycle between trying to put it back on and running towards the armor stockpile. A rather traumatised boltmaker reported that there are clothes strewn all over the barracks.

11th Hematite, 1058

The military are well on their way now. The last refugees to reach the meeting point have told us that Quothest has started destroying the furniture in the new living quarters - that this gave them the time to escape unnoticed. They were understandably shaken by the ordeal, but I'm thankful they were unhurt and will not gripe about the furniture that was lost.

We have no way to contact the military in the lower caverns; all we can do is wait and trust that their training has been sufficient.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:51:37 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:36 am »

Nothing to See here, please move along.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:54:22 pm by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 11:28:54 am »

I'll just be here on the edge of my seat. Take your time... take your time...
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 11:34:13 am »

How many of the military will survive? And can this dreaded beast actually be killed?

We await the answer to these questions...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »

I exist! I've been busy, but managed to get some playtime in. ^^ I feel sorry for the dwarves having to haul things from level 20 to level 150...finally worked out some of the military bugs, but there's clothes everywhere that no one will pick up and which will stick the owners in 'pickup equipment' cycles infinitely until you forbid them...

13th Hematite, 1058

A marksdwarf has returned from the battlefield, reporting that Quothest has been vanquished, with one dwarven life lost. We will honour Nomal as a warrior who gave his life while defending his home. The runner also requested medical dwarves as there are various other injuries - Ral is apparently unconscious and has several broken bones.

I am thankful that our home is safe again. Things could have been much worse - the fight against the giant cave spider some time ago is evidence of that.

15th Hematite, 1058

The militia are mostly back to their everyday routines. I have received a report from the Captain of the guard and will attach it to this log.

Spoiler: Battle Report (click to show/hide)

Ral remains critical, I have been told our doctors are doing what they can. Quothest was the largest and most dangerous foe that Spatteredcave has faced and our military have acted bravely and with great courage.

24th Hematite, 1058

Another beast has arrived! We have not had time to recover from the last attack, and our military have to be called into action again! Nökor Stibmerbothon, a great hairy sauropod with large mandibles. As tired as our military are, we must defend ourselves.

28th Hematite, 1058

...Okay, Nökor was definitely not in the same league as Quothest. The Captain of the Guard and a Marksdwarf took him out by themselves, while the rest of the military was trying to catch up to them. They had gone ahead trying to save Ushrir, a gem cutter, who was unfortunately struck down before help arrived. Melbil, the Marksdwarf, is not in the best condition but Id managed to remain unscathed throughout the battle. Id has not deemed this battle important enough to write an official report on, simply that the creature bled out after a sword strike opened an artery.

More work for our doctors. It's a good thing we have more than one now.

10th Galena, 1058

The doctors continue to monitor our injured, while the other dwarves repair the damage caused by Quothest and continues with preparations for moving. Several more bedrooms have been outlined and are waiting for masons to build the walls. In clearing out the lower caverns, we have stocked up an enormous amount of wood - I don't think we have to worry about running out for years.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »

The first FB was made of some sort of rock, correct? I wonder, are you going to butcher it? I find the thought of your dwarves eating it funny for some reason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:32 pm »

The first FB was made of some sort of rock, correct? I wonder, are you going to butcher it? I find the thought of your dwarves eating it funny for some reason.

Butcher the limonite beast.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 02:12:53 am »

Butcher the limonite beast.

There was a "Chunk of Quothest's Limonite" or somesuch on the same tile as the corpse. The corpse has gone somewhere now, I don't know if it's been butchered, dumped or what. >.>

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39:21 am »

omg... this has been epic :) i'm really loving the descriptions and the general narrative ;D its been fun so far :P

the image of Quothest is actually really really cool btw :P keep it up, i'm looking forward to it XD
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 10:30:43 am »

Check the stocks screen. See if it's been smelted or something.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:53 am »

Well if you REALLY wanted to break the habit (Truth be told I do it too) you could just play drunk for the first two years (Kids, don't drink and Dwarfortress!) but as is your in for some FUN! I tried it once, forgotten beast put an end to me, so good luck buddy!
Wow, I can't believe I had never thought of this previously. Putting dwarf fortressing drunk on my to-do list for sure. Now i just need to scrounge up the cash for another bottle of Cap'n Morgan.
Just NO.

I once tried to play deadly drunk just for lulz, and I was stuck within my first years because I've spent about an hour deciding where do I want to place my first mastercraft statue >.<.
It gets worse for me when I am drunk, because I am aware that I am and I try to "think rationally" which leads to lots of wasted time on some stupid aspect.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:29 am »

Well if you REALLY wanted to break the habit (Truth be told I do it too) you could just play drunk for the first two years (Kids, don't drink and Dwarfortress!) but as is your in for some FUN! I tried it once, forgotten beast put an end to me, so good luck buddy!
Wow, I can't believe I had never thought of this previously. Putting dwarf fortressing drunk on my to-do list for sure. Now i just need to scrounge up the cash for another bottle of Cap'n Morgan.
Just NO.

I once tried to play deadly drunk just for lulz, and I was stuck within my first years because I've spent about an hour deciding where do I want to place my first mastercraft statue >.<.
It gets worse for me when I am drunk, because I am aware that I am and I try to "think rationally" which leads to lots of wasted time on some stupid aspect.

DF is not about "rationality," it's about insanity.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 11:59:21 am »

Deon, looking at your icon, why am I not surprised that you've attempted to play the game drunk? Not much playtime today, but enough for a few entries. ^^

13th Galena, 1058

Have the caverns got a huge arrow pointing to them somewhere on a map stating "Free food for beasts, come on in!"?

Another beast has appeared - Stongun Rasmespuzbad. This one was spotted at the top of a cavern area - it's a great feathered mayfly, with three short horns. There's been reports of a green gas around it, which is probably poisonous... and since it's out of reach, we have to wait for it to come close enough before we can try and fight it.

1st Limestone, 1058

Stongun has been buzzing around, being quite the pest at times. I am aware of a few dogs which have run after it, but it simply flies away after breathing poison on those around them. This seems to be the only attack it uses and it only hovers around people for small periods at a time. It is hard to kill something that moves so much, so the military dwarves haven't really attempted yet - a few workers have been scared when it drops into sight from the ceiling, but run away quickly enough to not be hurt.

I've also been informed that a lone lizardman elite wrestler has crawled into our mines from somewhere in the lower caverns. It has been knocked unconscious but has trapped a glassmaker on the stairwell. I've assigned the glassmaker some dogs to see if they will finish the wrestler off.

21st Limestone, 1058

After a long, LONG time chasing down both a) Stongun the monstrous mayfly (he can fly. This makes him hard to catch) and b) the rogue lizardman elite wrestler which decided to live in our mines, both are vanquished. We have lost a couple of dogs, but all dwarves appear present and accounted for. This is a relief.

In fact, I was not aware that Stongun had been killed - certainly there were no military orders to attack near it. The military had been called to deal with the lizardman wrestler, so I guess if they had wandered past Stongun on the way they may have slaughtered it and then continued to the mines.

I have a feeling it will not be long until we see yet another intrusion - and I am not impressed at how many beasts have apparently been 'forgotten' in this area.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6