Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33894 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2011, 02:09:18 pm »

Like I said, Spoony is way more emotional about X-Com than I am.

But what Virtz said.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »

Spoony wasn't screaming BETRAYAL on E3 2010 at the top of his lungs to the people people stopped and stared at him for nothing

I saw that, it was such a..humiliating moment for gamers. I mean, I've played every X-com game, I've played the ufo series, I've worked with a mod to try and restore content to Apocalypse, but by the grace of some living deity, that was so horribly BAD. That was just so far into drama queen territory that I cringed when I realized that's the main way X-COM gamers are reacting, but in public now? No, just no.
So blatantly kissing ass is ok but the opposite isn't?

Blatantly kissing ass, huh? I guess It's not really a good thing to do either if you scream it in the middle of the room.  :P

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

Thanks to the existence of UFO: Alien Invasion, OpenXcom, UFO: The Two Sides, Xenonauts, and the UFO: Extraterrestrials series, it should hopefully become bloody obvious to the world what the true spirit of X-COM is.

But that could also be hopeless optimism.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »

...No ...DNF was terrible because they made a terrible game.

Everyone keeps throwing out Terrible..It's Fricken average! Stop using the hype to justify calling it terrible. Kung Fu Panda the Game is terrible, Big rig racing is terrible. Duke nukem was AVERAGE.

Besides, it was what Gearbox salvaged from that incompetent game studio. I'm just hoping for better releases in the future now that gearbox has it.

As a pedantic point, "terrible" and "average" are not mutually exclusive. The average per capita income worldwide is pretty terrible, if you ask me. And, yes, the average AAA game is something I'm not willing to spend any time playing, because it's pretty terrible.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:48 pm »

Thanks to the existence of UFO: Alien Invasion, OpenXcom, UFO: The Two Sides, Xenonauts, and the UFO: Extraterrestrials series, it should hopefully become bloody obvious to the world what the true spirit of X-COM is.

But that could also be hopeless optimism.

Eh, I've played UFO: Alien invasion and if it gets finished it will be worthy to be counted along with X-com. Even in it's semi-finished status right now it's really fun to play. And xenonauts looks promising :)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:18 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/26/twenty-minutes-of-narrated-xcom/

So here's a decent sized playthrough of XCOM-in-name-only. It doesn't look terrible but it's certainly not anything resembling what I know and love. I'd probably play it.

The level design seems really uninspired though. The enemy sure spends a lot of their resources creating waist-high walls in the streets
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:14:27 pm by Tilla »

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2011, 01:21:33 pm »

A step in the right direction from what they showed earlier, but still not close enough for me.

In the comments on the RPS article some dude is saying "like Fallout 3 there was an FPS in the making that got canned".
Nope, not true. There was a 3D Fallout cooking, but with the ISO view, all the game mechanics intact etc.

The X-COM FPS that got canned we never really saw more than some CG footage from, but what was shown retained the look and feel of the X-COM universe, if not the mechanics.

And this, to me, this is the big thing about these sequels. They just don't look or play like the originals at all, so why get us all excited by announcing a sequel that is so in name only? It doesn't make sense.

At least they've handled the "Shock" IP a little better.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »

At least they've handled the "Shock" IP a little better.

Did they?

Except keeping it from the same viewpoint (first person) I'm still pissed how much they departed from System Shock 1 and 2. And even just looking at it as a separate game universe, I did not enjoy Bioshock at all. It felt pretty, but unpolished in the areas that mattered.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

meh.

I want an X-Com style game, not a FPS. I couldn't care less about the exact setting. It'd be OK by me if they ripped off the "secret agency vs aliens" from X-Com, but I'd not mind some other, not-exactly-the-same game (eg: zombie pandemic game using more or less xcomish mechanics? Count me in). What I care about is the type of game, not the manual's backstory.

I fail to see the point of acquiring X-Com's IP if they are not going to follow through with a real X-Com game. Might as well have saved themselves time and money and use their own original story.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

I fail to see the point of acquiring X-Com's IP if they are not going to follow through with a real X-Com game. Might as well have saved themselves time and money and use their own original story.
They are doing their own original story. And then just plopped the X-Com name on it.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:00 pm »

Which they are. As far as I can tell, the story of this reboot has a completely different story to the original X-Coms (besides having the agencies named the same and fighting aliens from space). In fact:

Quote from: 2K Marin’s Jordan Thomas
Candidly, it just wasn’t “XCOM” enough for the hardcore fans of the original games at 2K Marin, who serve as our creative conscience. So over the past year, we’ve made some pretty aggressive design changes, in pursuit of the feelings that we experienced when we played the original games.

For those of you who don't know, Jordan Thomas is the Creative Director for 2K Marin, and he's almost out-and-out saying that the game has nothing to do with the originals.

EDIT:
They are doing their own original story. And then just plopped the X-Com name on it.

Ninja'd.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »

Because they probably expected all of the old X-COM fans to reappear and buy the game because it was a new X-Com, then forgot about that and went in the complete opposite direction.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:10 pm »

hence my puzzlement at their usage of the name. They know or they should know that the people who liked the original x-com wont get a wholly different game just because of the label, and that the general, non-xcom, fps public won't care about that label when deciding whether to buy it or not. So why go through this at all?

I just don't get these pseudoreboots of franchises.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2011, 04:32:10 pm »

Yeah, I'd rather it was either more of the original X-Com lore or named differently. But at least it looks like they're making an interesting game.

At the very least, it's not just another generic FPS.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:05 pm »

GODDAMNIT! WHY MUST ALL REBOOTS BE  FOREVER RUINED? NOOOOOO!

Count me into the pact. :(
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32