Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33921 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #375 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:54 am »

http://gaygamer.net/2011/06/e3_11_interview_jordan_thomas.html

Nice to see they aren't putting in an exaggerated gay stereotype like in most other games.   
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:20 pm »

What... The... Fuck... Are... They... Doing... To... My.... X-Com... Brand... Name...?

Nobody fucking cares about your sexuality, specially when you're busy trying not to get destroyed. Because this is a great moment to state you take it in the pooper, or you're a pussy muncher, or you have fucked half the girls in the base. Shyeah right. This is turning out worse than Mass Effect. -_-

Fucking consoles, I hate you all.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2011, 12:09:21 pm »

That is slightly worrying, named characters with depth means that it might end up at a point where no-one dies outside of scripted scenarios, which suggests linearality, both very non-X-com things. On the other hand if it's just scientists/engineers/people in charge it could be fine, but the people you'll spend a lot of game time fighting alongside being emotionless while others aren't just seems strange. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe it's time to give up hope of it being X-com at all- if you haven't already (x-com with a different setting and play perspective could still potentially be somewhat x-com).

Still it does suggest it could be a well written linear game, so maybe I might just have to pretend it isn't called X-com and enjoy playing it rather than pretending it doesn't exist.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »

It was already stated it was linear with near-zero replayability.

Not that x-com itself wasn't linear, but it never really told you exact what you had to do next, you had to find out for yourself most of the time. The replayability of the x-com series comes from the fact it's extremely random and thus constantly challenges you to face different scenarios. Kind of like chess, the goal is the same, but the way you reach it constantly changes.

So far:
-No base modification
-Probably no sort of resource management
-Recruits have personalities and thus I doubt they will permanently die unless it's scripted
-Nothing has been said about skill progression on recruits yet (not that I've seen at least)
-Any tactics? Or is it just a plain CoD shooter?
-Capturing alien weaponry seems more like a gimmick to imitate x-com than a necessity.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

In that interview from last page, the speaker said that we were able to capture alien technologies in tactical scenarios.
The way I heard it was that they're actually (side)objectives given to the player, which would suck big time.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »

In that interview from last page, the speaker said that we were able to capture alien technologies in tactical scenarios.
The way I heard it was that they're actually (side)objectives given to the player, which would suck big time.

Side objectives? Have they even played X-Com? Screw the civilians and grunts, I must have need the heavy plasma weaponry.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 16, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »

Secretly I've never actually played the original X-Com even though this doesn't seem like a good idea from what I've heard of it. I REALLY enjoyed Jagged Alliance 2. Would I enjoy the original X-Com too?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »

Secretly I've never actually played the original X-Com even though this doesn't seem like a good idea from what I've heard of it. I REALLY enjoyed Jagged Alliance 2. Would I enjoy the original X-Com too?

I think the combat in JA2 was probably a lot more fun/interesting than in X-Com.  My biggest fond memories of X-Com were all of the menu screen where you are directing research and choosing what to do on a global scale.  But its been such a long time since I played it that my memory is a bit hazy.

I'm kind of looking forward to this new X-Com, because I like 3d shooters and a 3d-shooter in the x-com universe strikes me as fun.  It WOULD be really cool if they had the same kind of research/develop sections between missions, but I'm not holding my breath.  It'll probably feel more like half-life than x-com in the end.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »

I don't think this is set in the XCom universe.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2011, 06:37:28 pm »

I think it's worth a try. It's... in a similar genre as JA2, but the games are still pretty different. You don't worry about losing people so much in X-Com. (Or at least, I don't. Some people reload after every death.) In JA2 though, you did have a somewhat limited and very fixed number of mercenaries you could recruit. And some of them cost enough that it was prohibitive to have to rely on them too much. In X-Com, your number of potential recruits is basically limited only by your funds with none of them costing more than any other.

Jagged Alliance, to me, feels more like an RPG than a Strategy/Tactics game. Every person has their own story and personality and you do feel bad about losing them in almost every case. (Screw you, Biff.)

In X-Com, it's more like chess. Yeah, your guys are going to level up, and get better, and you may even grow attached to your higher ranked players (Queens, knights, rooks, bishops, etc.) But everyone starts out as a pawn. And unless you're playing it more as a roleplaying experience than a strategy game, you're not going to care about losing a one, two, or a dozen pawns. At least not beyond how hard it hits your bank account.

This is reflected in the settings though.

Jagged Alliance, you have mercenaries, most with better things to do beyond fight for a small country nobody's probably heard of. They're just doing it for the paycheck. They have hopes, dreams, feelings. (Screw you, Biff.) 99% of them would much rather get out of it alive rather than complete the mission.

In X-Com, the fate of the world is in your hands, so what if a couple hundred people have to die to save it. These people are volunteer soldiers, and supposedly the best of the best(Perhaps the best that volunteered, as some of them seem incapable of hitting a barn, literally.) and are prepared to meet their fate. (At least up until the point where their commander gets killed right in front of them, people start getting mind controlled and a blaster bomb takes out half the squad. Also, screw you, Biff.)

In X-Com, if these people don't do their jobs, there won't be a world left living on for them.

In Jagged Alliance, if these people don't do their jobs, oh well, one more ruthless dictator in the world won't really change the status quo that much.

To me, those are the main differences. Everything else can be equated, perhaps not perfectly, but at least close enough to call them similar games. JA2 has a deeper story, but X-COM is more purely a war game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:39:06 pm by sluissa »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2011, 09:32:31 pm »

Spoony is even more emotional than me about it:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/06/16/e3-2011-xcom/

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:18 pm »

Guy's the game may not be like the original X-Com but atleast we are actually getting a new X-Com Game. The Companies know that an X-Com strategy game would not sell well, sure it would be great to have it but it would be a big risk made by the company for little profit.

Im personally going to buy this game and enjoy it.

* Bdthemag activates his flame shield.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »

It's exactly this rectal spray kind of thought that lead to this crappy X-Com.

It's a fucking petitio principii. Anyone who has gone to a single class of logic/philosophy in class would recognize it and shake his head.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:13:37 am by Soulwynd »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 17, 2011, 09:58:25 pm »

It's exactly this rectal spray kind of thought that lead to this crappy X-Com.

It's a fucking pretitio principii. Anyone who has gone to a single class of logic/philosophy in class would recognize it and shake his head.
You know that you could have just said circular logic, instead of making me have to google that. Besides you know about how Duke Nukem Forever was terrible? Thats because the expectations of games today is different then it was before. Lets say a new X-Com strategy game is released, chances are it would be deemed bad.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2011, 10:17:29 pm »

but atleast we are actually getting a new X-Com Game.

I don't know where you've been getting your news, but this is not a new X-Com game. It's got nothing in common with XCom besides the "ALIENS ATTACK! EARTH IS UNPREPARED!" premise, and the name.

Lets say a new X-Com strategy game is released, chances are it would be deemed bad.

A game isn't just "deemed" bad. Whether a game is bad or not is a matter of individual opinion; Reviews are also individual opinion, likely based on more detail and thought than any random person's opinion, but still not fact. Even metacritic will not tell you whether any given person will enjoy a particular game.

P.S. Have you not noticed Xenonauts?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32