Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33934 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #360 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »

I may get lynched for this.... but I think it looks rather intersting... is it the sequel everyone was clamouring for? No. But if you take it as it's own game, it looks kinda cool.
That depends on whether or not you find linear corridor shooters fun. I don't. I found Modern Warfare to be the most boring thing ever.

And while they did allow at least the minimum of back-tracking in their last game (Bioshock 2), the trailers kinda suggest something more like COD, where you're just put in some disconnected combat scenarios with a bunch of AI goons and watch a bunch of cutscenes. But I dunno, might be wrong.

Although why they desperately wanted to make it an "XCOM" game is baffling. Most X-Com fans ain't looking for an FPS and this game doesn't even reuse any of the concepts from X-Com. Not even the freaking history, they break that right off the bat by putting it in the 50s because Fallout 3 and Bioshock were popular or something. Either way, they could've just called it UFOShock or UFO: Back to the Future Warfare and saved some money.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 11, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #362 on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:28 am »

I may get lynched for this.... but I think it looks rather intersting... is it the sequel everyone was clamouring for? No. But if you take it as it's own game, it looks kinda cool.
That depends on whether or not you find linear corridor shooters fun. I don't. I found Modern Warfare to be the most boring thing ever.

And while they did allow at least the minimum of back-tracking in their last game (Bioshock 2), the trailers kinda suggest something more like COD, where you're just put in some disconnected combat scenarios with a bunch of AI goons and watch a bunch of cutscenes. But I dunno, might be wrong.

Although why they desperately wanted to make it an "XCOM" game is baffling. Most X-Com fans ain't looking for an FPS and this game doesn't even reuse any of the concepts from X-Com. Not even the freaking history, they break that right off the bat by putting it in the 50s because Fallout 3 and Bioshock were popular or something. Either way, they could've just called it UFOShock or UFO: Back to the Future Warfare and saved some money.

XenoShock: Alien Defensenstrator.

Enter FBI Agent Dick HardAce, a hardboiled cop to the bone, but one botched booze-bust too many puts him on a time-out, handling missing person cases for the bureaou. What would be a simple questioning leaves Dick with more questions than answers, and one less car. (And one smoking crater where a sickeningly Utopian 50ies style urbanity once sat)

As HardAce struggle to untangle the webs of deceit and cover-up, dodging bullets too alien to comprehend he realise he is now embroiled in something much bigger than the bureou, much bigger than the US of A. Hell. As the non-eucledian geometry start disintegrating the landscape, maybe this case is just a little too big for reality itself.

Good thing he brought his gun. Otherwise he'd been in over his head.

Edit: Name did not test well with the manly crowd. Prefixed it with Hard for emphasis.
Edit2: Needs more SPHESSH MEHRENES.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:02:56 am by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 12, 2011, 06:51:23 am »

FU. Seriously.

As for the original matter, I think it's their advertisement campaign. They've made a game about aliens called XCOM and not similar to original beloved XCOM games at all. So everyone who knows XCOM runs around and yells "Dudes, wtf, they've made a game called XCOM which is NOT XCOM! RAGE!"

If you think about it, this debate has much bigger advertisement value than good trailers or banners.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 12, 2011, 07:45:07 am »

FU. Seriously.

Just mentioning things that sell, sadly enough.
Also: Temper, I was clearly joking.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:59:59 pm by Cajoes »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #365 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:16 am »

I think that the game has potential as a fun fps.
Now this would be alright except they are trying to
sell it as XCOM and not just another fps. I can think
of a number of ways to make a fps XCOM game but
from what I see they are not and don't plan to. All
that seems to be happening is that they can't stand
just letting the internet rape my childhood and decided
to take a personal hand in the ruining of all I hold dear.

The best way I can see to make a fps of XCOM is
that instead of having a single character you play as,
what happens is that its just like XCOM but the battles
are in real time and you control a dude who when he
dies you get bumped into the next guy inline till you run
out of living dudes.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #366 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:50 pm »

A tactical FPS/3PS? That would actually work better.

Think of it like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six meets XCOM.

Another though just came to mind: I wonder if anyone has thought of making any Frozen Synapse mods with XCOM in mind? That could be an entertaining concept; though rather tricky to execute with how it sounds.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

If it was even close to say, a more polished SWAT 4 it would be acceptable as a tactical fps. XCOM

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »

If it was even close to say, a more polished SWAT 4 it would be acceptable as a tactical fps. XCOM

"Get on your knees!  I said GET ON YOUR- Oh, shit, it doesn't have knees..."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

*A blank stare appears on your teammate's face.* "YoooURe eeeen mmmmY way, Siiir." *He drops a grenade at your feet.*

SELFEDIT: I don't see why there needs to be any polish. Seems like SWAT 4 would work perfectly with just a reskin of everything.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2011, 07:48:43 pm »

*A blank stare appears on your teammate's face.* "YoooURe eeeen mmmmY way, Siiir." *He drops a grenade at your feet.*

SELFEDIT: I don't see why there needs to be any polish. Seems like SWAT 4 would work perfectly with just a reskin of everything.

More polish mostly meaning AI that isn't the pants on heads retards of SWAT 4 :P

The more I think of this idea the more I like it, if they absolutely insist on making XCOM into an FPS. Think about SWAT levels: you can never be sure how many enemies there will be or where as it randomized the maps each time. Just add RPG/strategy elements and permadeath of squad members and it would work well.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »

More polish mostly meaning AI that isn't the pants on heads retards of SWAT 4 :P

The more I think of this idea the more I like it, if they absolutely insist on making XCOM into an FPS. Think about SWAT levels: you can never be sure how many enemies there will be or where as it randomized the maps each time. Just add RPG/strategy elements and permadeath of squad members and it would work well.

And what I was saying was at certain levels of pants on headedness, treachery(in the form of psi control) and idiocy(in the form of bad AI) are indistinguishable.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2011, 02:25:24 am »

FU. Seriously.

Same. FU = funny unit. I always thought that spesh mehrines are a funny type of unit.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:14 am »

FU. Seriously.

Same. FU = funny unit. I always thought that spesh mehrines are a funny type of unit.

Oh I mistook your acronym for the more commonly used shorthand for "F*** You". My mistake.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »

How could you? :P

More on topic: it's a bit strange how they've placed it in 50th, and a bunch of dudes with tommy guns take out teleporting extradimensional aliens... Everything screams BULLSHIT to me.

If it was set in a future metropolis, like in XCOM 3, and aliens would be weird organic beings having trouble adapting to our world, it would be at least somehow believable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32