Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33927 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2011, 04:25:16 pm »

Honestly, I would really go for a FPS/RPG/Strategy hybrid where the combat is first person, but you have to develop the weapons and your team like in the original. Sort of like a strategy game that then shifts to a squad based tactics shooter whenever you encounter aliens or something. I kinda doubt that this would be near to what the game is when it comes out, but hey, it would be awesome.

Me to.  I actually like the idea of a FPS version of X-COM. 

I'll wait to see the reviews though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »

If what the devs have said about it is anything to go off of, they just pasted X-COM onto the title for brand-awareness stuff.

I'll still buy it because, hell, it looks fun.

You guys getting angry about this need to chill out, geez.
The rage is not about the game itself. The game might be fun, even tho it now looks like a CoD game and I bet death will become meaningless as well.

The rage is from knowing they acquired and killed the x-com franchise and we will never ever see an x-com named game that has what x-com had, ever again.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2011, 06:56:24 pm »

X-Com Enforcer, anyone?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2011, 07:14:51 pm »

What? I can't hear you.[1]

1. It has never happened.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

X-Com HVE<JHFVEf anyone?
Sorry? X-Com what now?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 04, 2011, 12:01:11 am »

On a semi-related note, all the x-com games are on sale at impulse though I'm not sure for how long. I played the original a while back, but now I have all of the games for under 5 bucks. Not bad.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 06, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »

It would be one thing if this looked like a remarkable shooter/strategy/whatever-it-is hybrid. Or even a nongeneric shooter. As it is, it looks bland and uninteresting, perhaps annoying, considering that if they bring in anything, it's "You have to research the enemies guns before you can find out how to pull the trigger." And to be honest, I wasn't that wild about that in the original X-COM, either.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 06, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »

Oh, cool! A new X-COM game is coming out! I'm going to be the first to buy it and the first to be awesome at it and-
is set to make a comeback as a first-person shooter

ಠ_ಠ

*loads revolver, points it to head*

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

Eh, hand a 18th century musketeer an M-16 and see how well he handles it. Most wouldn't even know how to aim in the first place, and when the magazine was empty they'd start cleaning the barrel.

Using a FPS battle mode would be cool if it used very well-developed AI and you played more as the commander than the Rambo grunt doing all the work. X-Com was a tremendously entertaining tactical game in addition to a very strategic game. 20% of the awesome came from just having every trooper with his own name, rank, skills, stats, kills... getting rid of that for generic clones or doing away with it completely removes the emotional attachment players get from being in charge of their private little platoon. Joseph McMillian, that guy from day one with great reflexes and a few spectacular kills during the last year, now becomes Joe Redshirt, who got killed in UFO crash #15. A shame, really.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2011, 12:40:18 am »

Oh, cool! A new X-COM game is coming out! I'm going to be the first to buy it and the first to be awesome at it and-
is set to make a comeback as a first-person shooter

ಠ_ಠ

*loads revolver, points it to head*
A wiser person would point it towards the developers heads.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:54 am »

Boy, it's too bad they're not doing anything else with X-Com, right guys? I mean, there's no plans for any X-Com stuff or anything. Yep.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2011, 01:43:04 am »

The thread title is very misleading. I thought it was talking about the classic strategy franchise but instead it talks about a new game name Xcom not X-Com
X-com was long dead.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:41 am »

At the very least, they seem to be keeping the theme of using alien technology, an adapting to use it against them, it might not be too terrible, right?

Right?

Right guys?

...Right?
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »

I may get lynched for this.... but I think it looks rather intersting... is it the sequel everyone was clamouring for? No. But if you take it as it's own game, it looks kinda cool.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:17 pm »

I may get lynched for this.... but I think it looks rather intersting... is it the sequel everyone was clamouring for? No. But if you take it as it's own game, it looks kinda cool.
as its own game it might be fun.

As its own game Enforther is actually kinda fun.

The rage comes from the misuse of calling the game "XCOM" while keeping none of the beloved bits of the franchise
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32