Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33942 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:59 pm »

I liked Bioshock 2.

:(

Okay, okay, it wasn't THAT bad. But still, they were standing on the shoulders of giants, you gotta admit.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:56 pm »

It's not that I mind FPSrs but every time X-com has attempted to stray from the tactical squaddy-chessy-shooty formula*, it hasn't exactly turned out well.. To quote: "Enforcer."

*or International-Para-Military-Organization-Management-Simulation

So.. X-bawks exclusive.. I don't even...
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2011, 11:52:23 pm »

Trying to use a brand name to sell a PC game to the unsuspecting 360 masses.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48:37 am »

I'm honestly looking forward to it. I know, I know, pissing against the tide and all that, but I really am looking forward to EFF-BEE-EYE against MALEVOLENT OIL-BALLS and WEIRD GEOMETRY (amongst other aliens) shenanigans.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

Sorry, but they probably fucked that up as well now.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »

The oil-slick things look a little bit like the Micronoid Aggregate things from Apocalypse, if you squint, and behave somewhat like Brainsuckers. An optimistic interpretation is that the reboot is going to present an Elseworld where the enemy faction from Apocalypse contact the Cydonians much earlier, take a fancy to Earth and try to get a foothold before we have the technology to put up effective resistance. Not the best premise I've ever heard for an alternate continuity, but good stories have been produced from far worse.

There's only so far a good story goes to make up for uninteresting gameplay, however, and the footage in the trailer on the official site didn't fill me with confidence. I would love to see a squad-based tactical FPS in the same vain as SWAT 4 or the Rainbow Six games set in the X-Com universe, but we didn't see much in the way of small-unit tactics in that video, did we?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:35 pm »

I would love to see a squad-based tactical FPS in the same vain as SWAT 4 or the Rainbow Six games set in the X-Com universe, but we didn't see much in the way of small-unit tactics in that video, did we?

I just got Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 this last weekend, and dug up this thread to post the same thing.  Which...apparently I got beaten to.  Not my usual genre, but busting down doors with two other guys to hose down some sectoids or autofiring heavy plasma blindly back over a crate at a Muton (before he vaporizes the crate) sounds like great fun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »

I was excited for it and won't beat the stain on the ground that used to be the "Nothing can be as good as <classic game> and anything trying is the devil" horse.

The 360 exclusive thing killed it for me though.  Oh well :s
Shoes...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:33 pm »

PAH!

I have a framed X-Com Alliance poster. Comming soon to Windows 95!

I have nothing else to add, and feel ashmed for bumping this thread.

PS, we should play Rainbow 6 3 some time. It is on steam cheap I believe.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »

The game gets a date, March 2012.

And here's their trailer they'll be showing around E3:

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/x-com-project/1172488p1.html

Still not that impressed. I want to like it, but when they say "tactical experience" all I hear and see is "blah blah blah FPS, blah blah blah."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »

Honestly, I would really go for a FPS/RPG/Strategy hybrid where the combat is first person, but you have to develop the weapons and your team like in the original. Sort of like a strategy game that then shifts to a squad based tactics shooter whenever you encounter aliens or something. I kinda doubt that this would be near to what the game is when it comes out, but hey, it would be awesome.

If the game isn't total crap when it comes out, I'll probably buy it cause I like the idea of it. But don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything amazing out of it. That sort of optimism just leads to disappointment. I don't mind FPS's from time to time, but I doubt this game will be a great game to buy for complex strategy...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »

Honestly, I would really go for a FPS/RPG/Strategy hybrid where the combat is first person, but you have to develop the weapons and your team like in the original. Sort of like a strategy game that then shifts to a squad based tactics shooter whenever you encounter aliens or something. I kinda doubt that this would be near to what the game is when it comes out, but hey, it would be awesome.

I'd really appreciate something like this, deeply. A real blend of the genres.

This doesn't look anything like that however. If it's got regenerating health at all, it's already lost the lethality that made the first one so nerve wracking and interesting to play. And your whole team looks like a bunch of AI mooks too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:35:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »

We're talking about a con-fucking-sole game here.

They've already alienated any x-com fan they might have had, so they're going for the CoDKids with shoot and level up!

/rage

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

Wow, that trailer looked really generic. It looks kinda..dull.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »

If what the devs have said about it is anything to go off of, they just pasted X-COM onto the title for brand-awareness stuff.

I'll still buy it because, hell, it looks fun.

You guys getting angry about this need to chill out, geez.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32