Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33978 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2010, 05:01:19 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII, your avatar is mesmerizing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2010, 07:16:26 pm »

Awesome

Its an awesome idea. 
Though, I see allied AI getting replaced alot in the early stages...  Random person generator for the win. 
I guess when you can start requisitioning certain soldiers and equipment... (and get denied for it) is when allied AI start being more reliable.

What this dream Tactical Squad Based FPS X-Com game need to do is allow you to 'run away' to fight another day, also 'lose' the battle and ground/territory.  Especially seeing as you can perma die and get replaced.

LeoLeonardoIII, your avatar is mesmerizing.
Thats what I said.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:26 pm »

Kagus' idea would be really awesome if done right(with destructible terrain), but would never be done at all since as has already been said, it wouldn't be popular enough to make gigantic wads of cash.  Maybe some indie dev will make it though.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »

Ugh. I don't really care about seeing terrain get destroyed. If I wanted to blow stuff up, I have Mercenaries.

But there are games where you start as a grunt, get random missions, and slowly get promoted your way up the chain of command. I have an Xbox360 game called "Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires" where that happens (although I'm a terrible grunt). I also have a phone game called "Uni" where you also start up as a grunt and get promoted when you obey orders from your idiotic commander and complete incredibly difficult and stupid missions.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »

I think Kagus's idea would be awesome, except that the AI would be intolerable, never quite good enough.

But I've been wanting and imagining games along those likes since forever, so..
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

See, I'm alright with a stupid AI. Incompetence exists in real wars too. :)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

or with something like Valkyria Chronicles (which is pretty much the same system X-com used. Why so much hate on it anyways? Everyone I know who has played it has loved the game. Even if the AI is a total moron)
Here's what's wrong with VC:
-School girls with guns (not really gameplay, but I really hate this).
-Lol-tanks firing in small arcs.
-Manual aiming.
-Interruption without actual interruption - are we gonna be dodging bullets now in TBS? And the reaction fire just looks worthless. The guy with a panzerschrek (or something) just stands around like a fashion model while a tank drives in and fires at people and only some guy with an SMG actually fires.
-Perspective shifting - if the game actually put you in anything close to a difficult scenario, it'd be pretty damn hard to devise an actual strategy when constantly going into behind view.
-One at a time - I don't know if this is just something in that video, but apparently every soldier has their own turn and you have to move them from start to finish before going on to the next. Either that or the perspective shift is so slow and clunky they prefer to move every soldier from start to finish and be done with it.
-Pretty long turns there - we see someone jump out of cover, run up to an opponent, take aim with a sniper rifle, shoot a headshot, taunt the enemy, run back to cover, jump over and finally run further to some more cover. All in one turn. Or even worse, a tank just drives past another tank and shoots it in the rear while that tank just sits around and does nothing.
-Jarpugish attacks - "undodgeable shot!".
-I don't want my TBS contolling like everything else on the market. Just leave manual movement out of this.

-All the girls in the game are above 20, and most don't look like schoolgirls at all. But I see your point.
-The mortar weapon for the tank has low range because of it's big splash which would make it unbalanced.
-Manual aiming is there because headshots deal more damage. The AI also tries to headshot you.
-Some classes (Sniper, Lancer(Dudes with rocket launchers) don't have passive fire, mainly because their weapons have very limited ammo.
-Planning can be done from the Map screen, which shows the terrain, camps, and units. From here you can choose any unit to use. Units are not used in sequence, you decide who to use. Repeated use of a unit lowers their action time each time till next turn.
-The levels can be rather sprawling so they give you time to move around in it. The Scout class units can move very far but have low attack power, compared to Lancers or Shocktroopers who are powerful but can't move as far.
-Each unit is unique and has traits that take effect in certain conditions. Some are good, some are bad. Generally people with more bad traits have higher stats. You can hire recruits at the base and build your strike force however you want it.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2010, 12:58:58 am »

Destructible terrain is important to X-com players because of our time-honored tradition of making doors instead of using ones we find.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:58 am »

Although really, to me at least, being able to blow away a HILL in an FPS is not all that important.  I mean, it would be freaking sweet.  But as long as I can make a hole in a wall that I can walk through, remove a roof, and annihilate the existence of an inconvenient truck or gas station, I'm happy.  So very, very happy.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:55 am »

But what if you don't want to go over the hill? What if you want to go through the hill? Use your plasma to make a tunnel?

Sure, it's not efficient, but since when do DF players prioritize efficiency... at all... anywhere?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2010, 01:24:15 am »

You basically want Worms-COM then. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2010, 01:32:41 am »

Worms has a certain flair to it, yes.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2010, 01:33:16 am »

I want Dorf-com.x-com,but replace all the humans with dorfs with blaster bombs and stun rods.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 11, 2010, 01:36:09 am »

Worms was fun but it's not like being able to level hills in original X-com made it Worms. *Shrugs*
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:40 am »

I honestly can't remember any game bar the original two Red Factions and Worms 3D where you can tunnel through to your objective. RF:Guerilla added ludicrous destruction of buildings, but from the gameplay vids it seemed you can't do much to landscape anymore.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32