Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 34010 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »

So basically, people would be happy either with -

An x-com with mechanics like classic rainbow 6 (overhead map, orders to teammates, tactical approach to situations)

or with something like Valkyria Chronicles (which is pretty much the same system X-com used. Why so much hate on it anyways? Everyone I know who has played it has loved the game. Even if the AI is a total moron)

As long as it has a strong base building and research element?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

Eh, it looks like the general consensus here is that both of those would be too far from X-Com to really be an X-Com game, even if they were pretty cool.

I don't like Rainbow 6 types of games because the AI just can't ever keep up.  It's frustrating when people get killed just because you weren't the one controlling them at the time.

And maybe Valkyria Chronicles would be too far out there--but then I've never played it, so...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:20 pm »

So basically, people would be happy either with -

An x-com with mechanics like classic rainbow 6 (overhead map, orders to teammates, tactical approach to situations)

or with something like Valkyria Chronicles (which is pretty much the same system X-com used. Why so much hate on it anyways? Everyone I know who has played it has loved the game. Even if the AI is a total moron)

As long as it has a strong base building and research element?

I could live with that, yeah. I'd like permadeath in the field though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15:28 pm »

Yeah, implentation matters, obviously.

As far as VC goes, it DOES have permadeath in the field, you just rarely see it. (if your soldiers bleed out, which takes 3 turns, or the enemy gets close enough to coup de grace. The enemy, however, never does this on purpose because the AI is incredibly stupid.)

Anyways, VC combat mechanics would be very similiar to an x-com game if you made them 3d, and made a few other relatively minor tweaks.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »

VC has destructible terrain?!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:21 am »

VC has destructible terrain?!
Some, not anything huge but a lot of barriers and the like can be blown up

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:59 am »

i'm watching this and hoping the game is enjoyable. if it's not x-com maybe it will be a sort of pre-x-com (your guy goes on to found x-com or something? who knows.

I don't think it will live up to the name, it'll be somewhat fun though (I liked both bioshocks)

I think a VC system would work really well if it was polished a bit differently. VC looks very cartoony (obviously on purpose) and that might work well for VC but it wouldn't for x-com. For x-com it would need to be darker, soldiers and aliens would need to be a bit less animated and terrain would have to be destructible.

The youtube video posted earlier with the UFO intro music redone was awesome.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:25 am »

Ooh, I hadn't thought about it in a pre-X-Com type of thing.  That's kind of a neat idea (though it wouldn't explain why X-Com has no tech at the start of UFO)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:17 am »

Ooh, I hadn't thought about it in a pre-X-Com type of thing.  That's kind of a neat idea (though it wouldn't explain why X-Com has no tech at the start of UFO)

well in the screen shots I'm seeing a revolver and a pump shotgun. if these actually work against aliens then perhaps its an explanation why such weapons don't really work against aliens (they improved their alien's resistance?) in the future when they try round 2 (X-Com UFO) and humans have to resort to the bleeding edge of technology to even harm aliens. (In my LP I explained such a scenario where the only conventional weapons that have an effect on the aliens is a high caliber solid metal/steel piercing rounds and of course, high powered explosions)

I'm pretty used to making shit up to justify whats going on in X-Com. Taken at face value many things don't make sense. But that's half the fun.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 10, 2010, 12:59:36 am »

If the X-Com 'canon' is basically a lot of people making junk up, then would this count? It's an LP of a war between Russia (backed by X-COM) and Germany, a spin-off of Squeegy's X-COM LP.

I don't know what happened to some of the TinyPic pictures...gah. They either display 'the picture has been moved' or they just place stupidly random pictures in place of my picture. Guess I won't rely on Tinypic then.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:04:14 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2010, 03:32:31 am »

Here's what's wrong with VC:
-School girls with guns (not really gameplay, but I really hate this).
-Lol-tanks firing in small arcs.
-Manual aiming.
-Interruption without actual interruption - are we gonna be dodging bullets now in TBS? And the reaction fire just looks worthless. The guy with a panzerschrek (or something) just stands around like a fashion model while a tank drives in and fires at people and only some guy with an SMG actually fires.
-Perspective shifting - if the game actually put you in anything close to a difficult scenario, it'd be pretty damn hard to devise an actual strategy when constantly going into behind view.
-One at a time - I don't know if this is just something in that video, but apparently every soldier has their own turn and you have to move them from start to finish before going on to the next. Either that or the perspective shift is so slow and clunky they prefer to move every soldier from start to finish and be done with it.
-Pretty long turns there - we see someone jump out of cover, run up to an opponent, take aim with a sniper rifle, shoot a headshot, taunt the enemy, run back to cover, jump over and finally run further to some more cover. All in one turn. Or even worse, a tank just drives past another tank and shoots it in the rear while that tank just sits around and does nothing.
-Jarpugish attacks - "undodgeable shot!".
-I don't want my TBS contolling like everything else on the market. Just leave manual movement out of this.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2010, 04:19:36 am »

By "pre-X-Com" I actually meant this new FPS sort of thing., not that awesome-looking Cold War era thing.  I mean, it's all alternate-universe variations on "aliens attack from Mars, pretend to be at peace with world governments, and do not fall into comedy tropes".  But having one guy doing this investigation and shooting sounds like a pretty viable prequel to the X-Com series.

Of course, he's going to end up singlehandedly blowing up the alien menace, I'm sure, but...meh.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:55 am »

Here's what's wrong with VC:
-School girls with guns (not really gameplay, but I really hate this).
-Lol-tanks firing in small arcs.
-Manual aiming.
-Interruption without actual interruption - are we gonna be dodging bullets now in TBS? And the reaction fire just looks worthless. The guy with a panzerschrek (or something) just stands around like a fashion model while a tank drives in and fires at people and only some guy with an SMG actually fires.
-Perspective shifting - if the game actually put you in anything close to a difficult scenario, it'd be pretty damn hard to devise an actual strategy when constantly going into behind view.
-One at a time - I don't know if this is just something in that video, but apparently every soldier has their own turn and you have to move them from start to finish before going on to the next. Either that or the perspective shift is so slow and clunky they prefer to move every soldier from start to finish and be done with it.
-Pretty long turns there - we see someone jump out of cover, run up to an opponent, take aim with a sniper rifle, shoot a headshot, taunt the enemy, run back to cover, jump over and finally run further to some more cover. All in one turn. Or even worse, a tank just drives past another tank and shoots it in the rear while that tank just sits around and does nothing.
-Jarpugish attacks - "undodgeable shot!".
-I don't want my TBS contolling like everything else on the market. Just leave manual movement out of this.

It doesn't sound like you've actually played the game which is a shame. It's a very different blend between realtime and turnbased - the turns are based on a movement point bar like X-com, though, just not as obvious since they move both more freely and more smoothly (from the absense of a grid).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2010, 04:28:08 am »

Valkyrie Profile 2 (weird name coincidence; same team maybe? totally different theme) has a weird movement system similar to Valkyria Chronicles that I didn't quite like.  You could move around freely in realtime, but things only happened when you acted.  So you could stand there, nothing would happen, but when you started running towards the monster, it started moving too.  It felt...clunky, even if it WAS a decently accurate simulation of real-time combat without requiring good reflexes.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2010, 05:17:16 am »

Random question: Am I the only one who prefers to

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

by letting a harmless race like Floaters or... no, actually, pretty much just floaters. Anyway. By letting them find and raid my base?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32