Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33991 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2010, 12:47:37 am »

I've always been effective with the autocannons.

Also, I use laser rifles all the way from beginning to end. They're my main weapons and the strong people use heavier weapons.

As much as the alien rifles do more damage, being able to shoot fast and non-stop without worrying about ammo when the map is destructible is great.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:49:22 am by Soulwynd »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2010, 12:57:35 am »

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2010, 12:58:12 am »

Soulwynd: Yeah, but Mutons are too durable for boolits to do much.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2010, 01:03:35 am »

Oh of COURSE it's in comic book style.  But it's ABOUT people who take themselves dead serious!  The characters aren't on to it.

So then they wouldn't mind having a katana, or even an energy katana for that matter if it looks badass and kills shit.

Hmm.  Weirdly, I think they would be more impressed if it looked more 'utilitarian' than 'badass'.  That just seems like the kinds of fellows they are.  But I rescind my objections to katanas...I just think it would be weird to have a squad of people all armed with katanas.  :P

I've always been effective with the autocannons.

Also, I use laser rifles all the way from beginning to end. They're my main weapons and the strong people use heavier weapons.

As much as the alien rifles do more damage, being able to shoot fast and non-stop without worrying about ammo when the map is destructible is great.

I have a massive love affair with AC-HE ammo.  And if you are a huge fan of autocannons, using AC-IN plus exploiting a game glitch could conceivably be awesome.

Autocannons are even cooler in Apocalypse, because you can have three guys firing AC-HE rounds on full-auto AT ONCE in realtime, while walking shoulder-to-shoulder down a hallway.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2010, 01:27:21 am »

Meh I wouldn't pay 50-60 dollars for any game no matter how good it is.

Also, X-com FPS, no just no, probably par usual mainstream fps developers will put a linear storyline on top of it with no freedom.

Nothing wrong with linearity if the game is fun.  The Half Life games are practically rail shooters, but they're awesome.

Maybe for you, but not for me, Half life isn't entertaining for me, at least for more then five minutes.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2010, 01:39:09 am »

I thought the Half-Life games told a good story, one time each, as long as you also considered it fun to look around and take in the scenery.  If this X-Com game tells the pre-written story of a single X-Com agent, then, well, that's alright for me--it's just not a strategy game.  Just like the Warhammer novels are not the Warhammer tabletop game.

Spinoffs aren't always a bad thing.  I mean, the Warhammer brand ended up getting Blood Bowl.  A lot of the out-of-genre games end up getting cancelled though...like Starcraft: Ghost (which people in the SC fandom thought was going to be awesome!) and that Warcraft adventure game that got cancelled because of WoW (which also looked awesome, but might have been awful).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2010, 01:48:14 am »

Soulwynd: Yeah, but Mutons are too durable for boolits to do much.
It depends how many shots you can get in them. Of course, I play with xcomutils, so weapons are slightly different from stock. Chrysalids bother me more than Mutons when I'm purely on laser rifles.  With Mutons you can take cover, Chrysalids often run fast enough to get to you. I tend to have one or two guys with missile launchers that I often put in a place where they can see most of the map. So I have artillery cover. High explosive rockets help, even more with the mini launcher later.

My ufo recovery team is more geared towards stun-baton, heavy weapons, and a couple grenadiers. Invading ufos can be a pain in the ass some times.

I have a massive love affair with AC-HE ammo.  And if you are a huge fan of autocannons, using AC-IN plus exploiting a game glitch could conceivably be awesome.

Autocannons are even cooler in Apocalypse, because you can have three guys firing AC-HE rounds on full-auto AT ONCE in realtime, while walking shoulder-to-shoulder down a hallway.
What game glitch? I've honestly never looked into any x-com glitches. I've always loved it stock & xcomutils modified, so I didn't bother reading about that stuff. I do enjoy setting aliens on fire however. Specially in dark missions. It's just to awesome to have a weapon that can replace your flares, sometimes I just auto-fire at random to light the place up.

I rarely use RT in Apoc. Only when I'm feeling lazy while recovering UFOs. But it's awesome in TB as well, specially the incendiary ammo when spotting aliens inside a room. You light the entire room on fire, move back, take your next member to set a mine on the doorway, really really evil. You have to be careful tho, some aliens are completely immune to fire. I assume the whole fire in a room + mine tactic would be harder to do in real time, since the aliens would start moving out right away. With turn based you have time to use a second soldier -after- the first guy set the room on fire.

About the half-life bit... Well, I felt HL2 and above were a torment... I regretted buying them and only played because I bought them. Simply horrible if you ask me. I can't imagine a linear x-com game without random shit happening actually being good. X-com is famous for replayability and the randomness of the encounters. That really really ruins half the fun and durability out of anything x-com themed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2010, 02:08:14 am »

He's referring to the fact that fires (and smoke) in the early X-Com games were hideously bugged.

First of all, they do pitiful damage over a long span of time (not really a bug, but still an annoyance), and have a piddling amount of on-the-spot impact damage.  However, any unit standing in a fire will receive impact damage from any other incendiary explosion.

What this means is that you can fire a shot at some muton, and paint the area around him with flames.  Now he's standing in a flaming tile.  Toasty.

Then, take your squad of AC-IN rookie troops on the other side of the map and get them to autofire at a nearby farmhouse in the hopes that they do, in fact, manage to hit the broad side of a barn.

For every shell they slam into that building or into that dirt, the muton will get "hit" by it. And if a buddy of his is also standing in some flames?  Well, he gets hit just as much.

Due to the low damage of incendiary weapons, this isn't exactly a massive advantage over standard firearms.  But it does let you score some cheap glitchy hits when you're lighting up the playing field.

Note that it works on your guys too.  Be careful about plunking people down in burning territory.  If they're standing in smoke they'll also get hit by the magic impact damage, but it will be stun-based instead of burn-based.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2010, 02:16:13 am »

Aha, something similar (except opposite) happens in Apoc in turn based gameplay.

If you stand still during gas/smoke/fire, you take no damage, but moving gives you damage. So if you're in stun gas, smoke, fire, you just have to stand still to stay safe.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2010, 02:25:49 am »

I'm rather subdued over the new X-Com game. I was rather excited when I first heard about it.
 I think its going to be nother Splinter Cell: Conviction. Great game but horrible splinter cell game.

Great game but horrible X-Com game.

I'm not to insane, I dont want it to be isometric 16-bit graphics or anything or for the turn base mechanic to be there. It should move along with modern game design elements. The gaming world progress for a reason.

However, I feel that a FPS shooter is far removed from Base Mgm., and squad tbs strategy game. I think its going to be something closer in feel and execution to an MiB clone. Thats fine, however I dont want an MiB game, I want an X-Com.

I'm waiting for a Demo. I'm highly skeptical and rather subdued.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2010, 08:03:55 am »

Having just played 11 hours straight of the original X-com, I feel entirely justified in saying that this new game is NOT going to capture what made X-com great in any way, shape, or form.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2010, 08:06:16 am »

I'm not to insane, I dont want it to be isometric 16-bit graphics or anything or for the turn base mechanic to be there. It should move along with modern game design elements. The gaming world progress for a reason.
Turn-based is an insane, outdated idea now?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

Having just played 11 hours straight of the original X-com, I feel entirely justified in saying that this new game is NOT going to capture what made X-com great in any way, shape, or form.
Actually, gonna elaborate on this while it's fresh in my mind.

Also, I'm going to be doing a lot of comparisons to Mass Effect 1 & 2 so be ready for that.

Geoscape/Battlescape
Legit X-com has two interfaces: Logistics and DEATHKILLMAIM. Indubitably, our faux X-com (heretofore referred to as FBI-com for obvious reasons) will claim to have these as well, which is a claim I don't agree with. That claim appears to be no more true for FBI-Com than it is for Mass Effect (either). The Geoscape has a realtime map, your data graphs, your UFOpaedia, your base selector, and two intercept options (the Intercept button or clicking on a base on the globe). Within the Base screen, to the right of the image of your base's layout, you have the option to switch to any other base, the base info button, your soldier roster, your aircraft logistics screens with subscreens for each craft, the build facilities button, Research Screen, Manufacturing screen, Transfer interface, Purchase/Recruit and Sell/Sack interfaces, and (naturally) the Return To Geoscape button. These are all presented in a nice, orderly fashion as a list down the right side of the screen. I don't have to spend two minutes waiting for the goddamn elevator to move twenty feet and wonder why there aren't stairs. I click, and I'm there. No fluff. No unnecessary dialogue "HEY U WANNA RECRUIT SOLDIERS?" "YA I WANNA RECRUIT SOLDIERS" or other such bullshit to artificially add to Steam's disapproving 63 Hours Played glare. I want better stuff to kill aliens? Research > Add Project > Assign X Scientists, DONE. I want to manufacture stuff? Basically the same process with the question of how many things I want made. I don't have to run around the FBI HQ or the Normandy or what the fuck ever. I hit my goddamn buttons and it's done.

Within the DEATHKILLMAIM interface
Yeah, it gets its own section. Your options in FBI-com are pretty clearly going to be "Forward" "Backward" and "Shoot." I don't know about you guys, but after the freedom to approach problems literally however you wanted (From "The alien is probably waiting there - I'll use my laser rifle on autofire at the tile I think it's hiding behind!" to "Rocket to wall, kthxbai" to "I'll throw rookies through the door until the alien runs out of TUs") I don't think FBI-com is going to satisfy. They're going to want linear maps, scripted encounters, triggered events, and, well, basically not do what X-com let you do - anything.

Actually have X-com

You may have noticed X-com was a game where aliens were fought by X-com and 2k's game is a game in which aliens are fought by Not X-com. This is a likely source of problems to people who rather liked X-com. The only solution to this I could think of was if X-com recruited you, but we all know what happens to rookies in X-com.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:59:39 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2010, 10:05:43 am »

Actually have X-com

You may have noticed X-com was a game where aliens were fought by X-com and 2k's game is a game in which aliens are fought by Not X-com. This is a likely source of problems to people who rather liked X-com. The only solution to this I could think of was if X-com recruited you, but we all know what happens to rookies in X-com.

Objection! That rookie has enough TUs to take on both Aliens!
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2010, 10:19:48 am »

You know what's funny, Arsenic Panda? They said they played x-com for hours... Well... I've played it for 10 years... They didn't get anything of what x-com is about. The interviews are really really sad when they state their ideas... Picking the name x-com for a game they thought of before they played x-com was their biggest mistake. If it had any other fucking name, It might have been a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32