Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33945 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:39 pm »

puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat.
I hope you like trains, because this sounds like it will be on rails.
players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits
Or in other words, it will be a squad shooter where you order men around. And they can die.
coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences
Things will pop out of walls in gimmicky "boo!" moments.
...that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension.
Player won't have magic exosuit, and the enemy AI will suck to the point of the player having no idea what is wrong with them.
By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy
Or in other words, it is a console FPS. I thought we already went over that.

And no, I am not optimistic when it comes to "re-imagining" that which was once good.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 05:40:33 pm »

I'm not optimistic of these changes at all.

I hear BioShock has some spiffy rails.  I don't expect this to be much different.

Expectations: Just another FPS like CoD/Halo.  Boring.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »

Just because they promise:
"players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits"

Is NO guarantee the player will be able to actually chose those "risky strategic gambits".

If I tell you to run through a tunnel filled with Sectoids with nothing but a 9mm Pistol, I can justly say you have been, "placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits".

"Placed in charge" means you do the grunt work.  "Through risky strategic gambits" simply means your grunt work is dangerous and supposedly planned to achieve some larger goal.  Not neccesarily determined so by you.

By the way, my biggest complaint is that I just do not like the FPS genre as much as I like the turn based combat genre.

I heartily suggest everyone play a REAL FPS with aliens, research, government agents, UFOs, advanced weapons, and insidious alien plots to take over the world.  I of course refer to the following game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2010, 07:43:16 pm »

Heyyy, I liked Bioshock!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »

Destroy all humans was awesome. I didn't play the sequels though. I heard they weren't as good, despite fixing some gameplay issues.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

Prediction:

It will come out, and critics will love it.  Several people here will buy it, the rest will pirate.  All will play through it at least once, probably more than once, complaining the whole way.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

If the main aspects of the strategical part of the game are kept it will be better than just saying it's a fps. Ie. If we get to manage our personal, money, equipment, base (including building it), and have a whole globe to act on, it will have 50% of approval from me.

But knowing these modern game bastards, chances are they will throw in a stupid story in where you have locations in like, washington (plug in fallout3) to go to and have pathetic history based fps missions that are always the same through every gameplay (plug in half life).

So yeah, without knowing more, I have a bad feeling about this. And you know what happens once someone who owns an IP kills it (plug in shadowrun).

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2010, 09:27:12 pm »

Prediction:

It will come out, and critics will love it.  Several people here will buy it, the rest will pirate.  All will play through it at least once, probably more than once, complaining the whole way.

Which critics?  The ones who critique games or the ones who write advertisements for games disguised as reviews under threat of being fired?

If it's the latter you're saying basically nothing, if it's the former you're just jumping to the conclusion that the game will not suck based on almost no evidence.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:29:30 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »

Hey, Half Life is an awesome game!  >:(

Kidding. But I still love it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2010, 09:36:16 pm »

if it's the former you're just jumping to the conclusion that the game will not suck based on almost no evidence.

As opposed to jumping to the conclusion that the game will suck based on almost no evidence.

There's no such thing as reviewers anymore.  There's reviewers paid to write ads that look like reviews, and reviewers who tear down everything in a vain attempt to not look bought.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »

if it's the former you're just jumping to the conclusion that the game will not suck based on almost no evidence.

As opposed to jumping to the conclusion that the game will suck based on almost no evidence.

Yes, exactly.  Although I'm inclined to agree with these people more since really, that's the way things have been going lately, and I can think of a lot more ways it could suck that are a lot more likely than way in which it could be good.  Then again maybe I'm just a pessimist.

There's no such thing as reviewers anymore.  There's reviewers paid to write ads that look like reviews, and reviewers who tear down everything in a vain attempt to not look bought.

What about amateurs?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2010, 10:13:25 pm »

Prediction:

Probably true. This is exactly what happened with Fallout 3
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:22:56 pm by Tilla »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:23 pm »

The only way I could forsee this coming out even moderately decent would be if they merely replaced the tactical squad battles with fps squad based battles. The problem is, according to their website that isn't what they are doing. :(

The player has to play as Mr. FBI agent through a story driven (and as such likely linear or at most non-linear in the sense that DA:O was non-linear) campaign in which there is much pew pewing of aliens. Aliens which of course will have exceedingly stupid AI to compensate for both the crappy console joystick aim and movement limitations and the supposed frailty of the player. And of course by the end the player will probably end up singlehandedly fighting off an alien army and the boss battle against the one controlling said aliens, since that is always what fps endings entail. X-Com, rest in peace.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »

If they keep the strategy elements I can see it working, but frankly, the best thing about X-com was how at the start, the Aliens Are Better, Faster, and Stronger. You're going to get butchered at first. Your men will die in droves to bring you precious Pyrrhic victories until you can research their stuff. Then you start discovering the secrets to their gear, having a few really good soldiers who survive battle after battle and become elites, etc.

That can't happen in this because (1) you're FBI, not X-com, so if you get alien weapons it doesn't make sense. Have fun not being able to damage the Mutons, you poor fucker; and (2) if you die it's game over because you're one character on the ground, not the faceless overseer of X-com (or of the FBI for that matter), so there's no real worry of having a whole squad wiped out by Mutons/Ethereals/Chrysalids/FUCKINGANTHINGWITHBLASTERBOMBS and having to build them up again.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »

Maybe if they made it like Ghost Recon (the first one) with X-com metagame? I'd pounce on it. I don't think much more can be said until they release more info.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32