Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33922 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »

The only hope we have is that the go for the more, Rainbow 6, or SWAT 4 feel. Punishingly difficult, demanding tactical thinking and severely punishing run-and-gun style game play. If it ends up playing more like Halo, or Call of Duty, then it cannot be even remotely compared to it's forerunners.
QFT
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »

It could still stand on its own merit.  Imagine a well-done sequence where you're in a large, congested building (Hotel, for example) at night, no power, and you start hearing Chryssalids howl.  Pretty soon you can hear them on the walls outside, and you see dark shapes leap across the outside windows.  The entire hotel has been infested.  It wouldn't be X-Com, but it could be an intense mission.

That's not to say a SWAT 4 or old Rainbow Six style game wouldn't be incredible.  It'd be the best thing to happen to the franchise since it came out.
Shoes...

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »

Right.  But why brazenly call it "XCOM(sic)" when it really has nothing similar to the original games other than the core characters?  Are they implying "This is the new X-COM; FPS is now the focus, we might do some TBS spin-offs if you're lucky?"  Is someone going to take Master Chief, put him in an Adventure game and call it "HALO" and claim "it retains the core spirit of Master Chief (because Master Chief is in it)"?  Gordon Freeman the RTS is the same because it has a suit and aliens and the G-Man?  Where then do we draw the line on were reinvention is 'acceptable' to the integrity of a franchise?

That's not to say a SWAT 4 or old Rainbow Six style game wouldn't be incredible.
I can see if failing with disastrous results if done improperly and I don't think the studio producing the game has the right staff and angle to pursue that; I doubt it was in their original blueprints as well.

It'd be the best thing to happen to the franchise since it came out.
That's because nobody's tried to make the base game better, they've tried to beat it at its own game.

The best thing to happen to the franchise since it came out would be for someone to not build a game better at being X-COM than X-COM, but to make X-COM surpass itself.  They don't need to re-invent, they need to innovate.  Everybody who has tried to 'one-up' X-COM has failed: that's because cloning the game and putting it in a different light with different gameplay doesn't work (UFO has thoroughly proved this and TFTD, despite being a great title in and of itself with some glaring flaws, was not an improvement over the original -- it was more of an expansion to the original).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:50:50 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2010, 08:56:19 pm »

Reinvention is good. This is a 'reskinning'- as far I can tell, they're putting X-COM imagery over any old FPS.

Mind, they COULD make a good FPS game that embraced the style of the X-COM games. They could. But they almost certainly won't. I'd be happy to eat my words, mind. But that's just not usually what this sort of thing constitutes.

Oh, bonus points if the game becomes a success for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with X-COM and people wonder why they made an X-COM RTS when it was such a great shooter.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 09:09:29 pm »

This isn't a reskin.  Terror From the Deep was a reskin.
Shoes...

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »

But...
But...
I love X-com.
They better not screw this up.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:43 pm »

This isn't a reskin.  Terror From the Deep was a reskin.

I meant, with a typical shooter being the base, and all of X-com being the skin. Not a reskin of X-com.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2010, 10:08:20 pm »

Oh lord! God has abandoned us. there is no hope. Xcom shall be destroyed violently, all as god sits and laughs while playing DF. 2K has ended life as we know it.
Hello Hunam

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2010, 01:29:23 am »

Gordon Freeman the RTS is the same because it has a suit and aliens and the G-Man?
A half life 2 rts could actually be kind of cool, when you think about it...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:41 am »

True, but in proper context you should consider it as:  An RTS with Half-life 2 characters.  Not made because of Half-life 2 but for the willingness of its fanbase to part with their coin and because they thought HL2 needed re-invention.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:49:39 am by Firgof Umbra »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 02:16:55 am »

God, I -really- need to knuckle down and work on that X-Com fan game that's very similar gameplaywise to the original, except you play as backwoods survivalists instead of the best of the best, reversing the number of forces you field vs. the number of forces the enemy fields.

Now THAT is somewhere you could still go with the series.  I need a team though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 02:22:12 am »

God, I -really- need to knuckle down and work on that X-Com fan game that's very similar gameplaywise to the original, except you play as backwoods survivalists instead of the best of the best, reversing the number of forces you field vs. the number of forces the enemy fields.

Now THAT is somewhere you could still go with the series.  I need a team though.

Write an extensive Game Design Document and you might get some people to help you :)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 04:23:32 am »

True, but in proper context you should consider it as:  An RTS with Half-life 2 characters.  Not made because of Half-life 2 but for the willingness of its fanbase to part with their coin and because they thought HL2 needed re-invention.
True, but just think how much potential for awesome there would be if it was handled right. :D
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 04:31:46 am »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-wars

Looks like HL2: Wars wasn't quite as dead as I first thought.  This looks like a new version.

I'm glad.  The old version had massive potential, but also mind-numbingly bad controls, performance, and stability.  Haven't tried this one out yet, but it looks like it's added a skirmish feature (which was DESPERATELY needed in the old version).

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2010, 08:11:27 am »

It could still stand on its own merit.  Imagine a well-done sequence where you're in a large, congested building (Hotel, for example) at night, no power, and you start hearing Chryssalids howl.  Pretty soon you can hear them on the walls outside, and you see dark shapes leap across the outside windows.  The entire hotel has been infested.  It wouldn't be X-Com, but it could be an intense mission.

That's not to say a SWAT 4 or old Rainbow Six style game wouldn't be incredible.  It'd be the best thing to happen to the franchise since it came out.

I think I already played the level in Resistance: Fall of Man.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32