Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 34008 times)

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

We all know that he'll probably hit a friendly, even if he takes an aimed. GRENAAAAAAAADE TIME!
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2010, 10:32:41 am »

Nonsense, hit him with a stun bomb then fire an incendiary rocket in there, let the aliens burn!
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2010, 11:40:34 am »

You know what would be an amazing mechanics system for a new x-com game?

The valkeryia chronicles system.

Seriously, if you havent played it, do so - its a modern turn based system that works really well, and I could see a similiar system making an AMAZING modern x-com game.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:18 am »

IN THIS THREAD: ACTUAL, GENUINE X-COM DISCUSSION INTERSPERSED WITH 'BAWWWWWWWW' ABOUT HOW THE NEW GAME IS GOING TO SUCK EVEN THOUGH THERE'S NO ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE OR EVEN A DEMO OUT YET

IN OTHER WORDS, THE INTERNET AS USUAL

TO THOSE WHO AREN'T CONDEMNING IT OFF THE BAT I SALUTE YOU

Seriously, if you havent played it, do so - its a modern turn based system that works really well, and I could see a similiar system making an AMAZING modern x-com game.

That is... actually a pretty good idea.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:55 am »

IN THIS THREAD: ACTUAL, GENUINE X-COM DISCUSSION INTERSPERSED WITH 'BAWWWWWWWW' ABOUT HOW THE NEW GAME IS GOING TO SUCK EVEN THOUGH THERE'S NO ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE OR EVEN A DEMO OUT YET
No, but we have fucking interviews of what they plan for the game and that's rather enough to not label it a x-com game. Might be a good game, just not right for the x-com title. That's what pisses x-com fans off.

Now go be a jerk elsewhere and learn self-caps-control.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:42 am »

Valkyria Chronicles
No.

IN OTHER WORDS, THE INTERNET AS USUAL

TO THOSE WHO AREN'T CONDEMNING IT OFF THE BAT I SALUTE YOU
I salute you for being the first person I've seen on this forum to seriously write in capslock. It says a lot about you.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:26 pm »

The game may be okay, but I doubt there is any reason to call it x-com. I don't think many people are condemning it as a bad game, unless they dislike the genre or the developer. What people are angry about is that they are selling a chicken sandwich with bacon instead of chicken. May be good, but calling it a chicken sandwich is a lie.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2010, 12:47:19 pm »

What if it's chicken bacon?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »

That's awesome.  Just make the developers listen to that song, and beat the awesome into them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2010, 01:08:48 pm »

That's... actually sounding pretty cool.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »

I'm pescetarian.  I don't eat chicken or bacon.  Or even chicken bacon, whatever foul mutation might produce that.

But that's utterly and completely besides the point.  I'll still refrain from judging this thing until I get to try a piece of it myself, but I don't think I'll be watching it too closely.  And no, I wouldn't wish Valkyria Chronicles-type movement on anyone.  Seriously, what were they thinking?

Now, as for what kind of time progression might be nice in a "revamped" X-Com...  I don't see any problem with turn-based, but I do think the game would do well in a realtime environment, provided they managed to get a good enough AI to fend for itself in some way.  Turn-based would be more faithful to the original series, what with reaction shots and the "mutual surprise" facets.

I've actually been thinking about a kind of X-Com -"like" game.  However, I thought it would be nice to take a break from the usual alien attacks and go for demons warping in from beneath.  It would allow for an easier explanation of why there are close-combat "terror" units in the enemy force, which was a little weird with the otherwise high-tech aliens (sure they were terrifying, but there are long-ranged weapons of terror too).  You wouldn't have the game aspect of shooting down enemy UFOs, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.  All depends on how it's worked out.

Otherwise, it would be pretty much the same concept...  Demon portal opens up somewhere, some imps pop through and start terrorizing the populace, you grab a couple squads of ill-equipped soldiers and toss them into the fray, you start researching the demon corpses to find out what makes them tick and (more importantly) what makes them stop ticking, eventually the gates get bigger and bigger and the demons coming out get nastier.  You could have semblances of a hellish civilization with various types of hell-powered "machines", and you could even go the DooM route of having the demons start incorporating our technology into their designs (almost a reverse X-Com, innit?).  Eventually the ruling class of demons would start to appear with their powerful psychic abilities, and you'd have to start looking for willful minds in your own stock in order to combat the threat.

Endgame would be about a titanic demon gate that you would have to let them open up so that your own guys could go through and fight the menace on their home turf.  This would provide a plausible explanation for why failure of your first attempt would result in losing the game (which struck me as a little weird in X-Com, since you could theoretically just build and equip another Avenger to head out to Mars and beat up the alien forces as they try and recover from the last assault).

Yeah, so the idea is riddled with holes, but c'mon...  I think it's probably best if X-Com is left to X-Com, and that something else just be made in its spirit.

Also, shooting demons with tank cannons.  You know you want to.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »

Yeah.  I always wanted to have a demon go hulk on my tank. :(

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

X-com enforcer is a shooter.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2010, 01:36:56 pm »

X-com enforcer is a shooter.
That game never happened.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2010, 01:50:41 pm »

No, but we have fucking interviews of what they plan for the game and that's rather enough to not label it a x-com game. Might be a good game, just not right for the x-com title. That's what pisses x-com fans off.

Now go be a jerk elsewhere and learn self-caps-control.

You could still just wait to try it out instead of going on about how it's going to suck as an X-Com game based on some pre-release interviews. Yes, yes, you've been playing it for ten years, they've played it for a few hours, it isn't going to be the X-Com we know and love, etc. etc. I'm cautiously optimistic as to its chances at being good as an X-Com game instead of just a good shooter, although even I'll admit that's doubtful, to say the least.

I salute you for being the first person I've seen on this forum to seriously write in capslock. It says a lot about you.

Bah, I can talk out of caps just fine. I probably should have added one of those /sarcasm tags or something since it doesn't translate to text well.

EDIT:

And then I just hit upon something that would make FPS X-Com good, guaranteed. STALKER. X-COM EDITION. Or, to elaborate, this upcoming FPS, but with STALKER style gameplay. You know it'd be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:01:46 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32