Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 33954 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2010, 01:39:46 pm »

Is there something I can read or something, so I get the general gist of the game? At the moment, I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
Personally I prefer to figure stuff out for myself, but try this (as well as the rest of the wiki).

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

Alternatively, you can also watch some let's plays. That's how I got hang of it. (Although some advice, even though armed bombs don't go off in your inventory, you do not want to carry them arround. Especially with the entire team, neatly packed together in the same room. Managed to win that mission.)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2010, 03:53:28 pm »

Watched one video for 3 minutes, good enough, all I needed was the interface down.

Also, awww yeah, just recovered my first UFO. 6 man teams are awesome.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

Man, the new XCOM (not X-COM :P) game sounds awesome. Let the Indie developers develop X-COM, I prefer this version :P

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2010, 04:12:38 pm »

This doesn't Feel like X-Com to me. This howeve, does.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »

I had a look at that first look article, and... it's just not xcom. X-com is sending in a load of military recruits with rubbish weapons against the aliens. It's a valiant battle of brute strength, skill, numbers and technology against the aliens where anything can die to anything.

If that's the case, then why do you only send a small squad of people to take out the aliens (instead of sending 100,000 troops to kill one alien scum)? Why are you only limited to, what, 100 recruits, tops? And how come X-COM is billed as an elite fighting force, funded by all the major superpowers?

I'm not saying that this game is X-COM, I'm just confused how come X-COM gained this reputation for being an organization of incompetent draftees with flashlights who make money through selling weapons... Just because you play that game that way doesn't mean that's how it is officially in the fluff.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2010, 04:22:05 pm »

The answer is simple. It's cheaper. Nations like cheap, no matter how close their doom's day is.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2010, 04:56:00 pm »

Link fixed.

And actually, remember that X-Com is a VERY SECRETIVE fighting force, that is plausibly denied to be funded by all the major superpowers.  The aliens don't infiltrate governments by just getting one guy in...they're actually meeting with humans all the time, they have spies working high-up, "infiltration" is just when they take CONTROL of governments.  Also, a huge number of the civilians actually do support the aliens, and they buy into the propaganda that the terror missions happen because the aliens are displeased with what they've done, or that just bowing your heads is a wonderful solution.  Remember, "terror" is more "shock and awe" here...  Convince the humans not to fight you.  Lots of humans would rather that X-Com wasn't there!

So.  This is what it's like to be an alien:  We fly over the Earth, and then this ship comes up out of nowhere to shoot at us.  We can't trace it, we think the area's mapped out, but they're sneaky.  Their ship is stealthed.  They shoot us down.  We go to all the major governments in the world!  They all deny it.  We look through their goddamn bank accounts, talk TO their military--yes, we have aliens at every major military site, we're probably playing human nations against each other, selling them alien tech, etc--and no matter how hard we look, we can't find any trace that human militaries are the ones who shot us down.

Then they go to our crash site, and they kill us.  But our UFO took pictures.  We have their faces.  We research, find out what government they're working from.  And...nothing.  These elite warriors are people who aren't even IN records, they weren't war heroes...nothing.  It's like they never existed before they fought us.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2010, 05:02:46 pm »

I had a look at that first look article, and... it's just not xcom. X-com is sending in a load of military recruits with rubbish weapons against the aliens. It's a valiant battle of brute strength, skill, numbers and technology against the aliens where anything can die to anything.

If that's the case, then why do you only send a small squad of people to take out the aliens (instead of sending 100,000 troops to kill one alien scum)? Why are you only limited to, what, 100 recruits, tops? And how come X-COM is billed as an elite fighting force, funded by all the major superpowers?

I'm not saying that this game is X-COM, I'm just confused how come X-COM gained this reputation for being an organization of incompetent draftees with flashlights who make money through selling weapons... Just because you play that game that way doesn't mean that's how it is officially in the fluff.
If we were to question its realism, then we'd probably have to begin with why it's not millions of aliens invading rather than a few hundred.

Although normally I like to imagine the big fights (army-scale) are going on off-screen and you're merely the spec-ops going in for the enemy leadership. A good remake/successor should try to simulate this, I think (like having these abstract armies in the world duke it out with the aliens and let you go after the crucial objectives in the battle).

EDIT: Or what Sowelu said. I'm not sure how the conflict works in X-Com.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2010, 05:13:38 pm »

The only one thing you have to question is why you're the only one downing UFOs. You start with -two- fighters and only the x-com bothers shooting UFOs.

One would imagine countries would have many many more fighters and if they were that worried, they would shoot them down.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2010, 05:56:42 pm »

I was talking abiout the new X-com game, which AFAIK is entirely set within the USA.

'Cause noone outside of the USA plays X-Com of course. :P

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick, I followed a link assuming the site on the other end was related to the new x-com game. I then commented on what you said. So I too was talking about the new x-com but the screenshot that gave me hope was for a different game, xenonauts in fact. Sorry for the confusion.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »

I was under the impression that the fighters you have are two of the best in existence, probably belonging to the japanese Kiryu-Kai before they were transferred to you and that most governments just don't have good enough craft to catch them. The few that do are limited to their own airspace and in a chase you almost always end up crossing over multiple countries.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »

Well, remember.  You can only chase down UFOs because the aliens have a hard time FINDING you.  Do you think the USA's fighter jets, with their human weapons, could take down a battleship, or even a supply ship?  Your ships are insanely fast and maneuverable compared to other human craft--do you think the USA's jets could even catch up to UFOs, let alone dodge their plasma beams?  It would be a slaughter.

...And then, for the sin of even trying to shoot their craft down, the aliens would send some terror crafts to hover over every state capitol building and play Independence Day.  Yeah, the White House is probably too heavily defended, but the aliens could still make people regret that their country shot the aliens down.

X-Com doesn't care if it makes civilians unhappy, they know they're working for the greater good.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:44 pm »

You know, at least I hope it will have some form of online mode.
OH CRAP I RECOGNIZE THAT PICTURE! Those two set pieces ALWAYS got smashed up next to each other! It was great fun.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »

Link fixed.

And actually, remember that X-Com is a VERY SECRETIVE fighting force, that is plausibly denied to be funded by all the major superpowers.  The aliens don't infiltrate governments by just getting one guy in...they're actually meeting with humans all the time, they have spies working high-up, "infiltration" is just when they take CONTROL of governments.  Also, a huge number of the civilians actually do support the aliens, and they buy into the propaganda that the terror missions happen because the aliens are displeased with what they've done, or that just bowing your heads is a wonderful solution.  Remember, "terror" is more "shock and awe" here...  Convince the humans not to fight you.  Lots of humans would rather that X-Com wasn't there!

So.  This is what it's like to be an alien:  We fly over the Earth, and then this ship comes up out of nowhere to shoot at us.  We can't trace it, we think the area's mapped out, but they're sneaky.  Their ship is stealthed.  They shoot us down.  We go to all the major governments in the world!  They all deny it.  We look through their goddamn bank accounts, talk TO their military--yes, we have aliens at every major military site, we're probably playing human nations against each other, selling them alien tech, etc--and no matter how hard we look, we can't find any trace that human militaries are the ones who shot us down.

Then they go to our crash site, and they kill us.  But our UFO took pictures.  We have their faces.  We research, find out what government they're working from.  And...nothing.  These elite warriors are people who aren't even IN records, they weren't war heroes...nothing.  It's like they never existed before they fought us.
Somehow, this reminds me of V and X-Com is like the 5th Column. You'll have to check out the series to understand what I mean.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32