Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reinstate house Râsh / Armies of the Undead  (Read 1264 times)

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reinstate house Râsh / Armies of the Undead
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

Would there be a penalty for accepting necromancy? Do having the Frankendwarves around create unhappy thoughts? Dwarf was forced to endure seeing a spouse re-animated for menial labor. Maybe the necromancer dwarves can accidentally summon demons when they are doing their thing

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Good idea.  Though I wonder what kind of negative effects having a cadre of vampires living in your fortress might produce?  You'd have to keep a stable of live animals/prisoners for them to feed on, lest they turn to your populace as a food source...

This brings up a number of interesting applications to criminal punishment...

There's all kinds of possibilities.  Lycanthropy (werewolves), ghoulism, malevolent hauntings, rampaging zombie hordes...  There's about a million horror movies to draw upon here.

Ixen-bay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

I think the effect would work better if House Rash PREVENTED undead dwarves.  And then, failure to bury dwarven corpses properly might result in dwarven wraiths or revenants or some such.  

Gameplay wise, this would be the best of both worlds.  Those who want to play a fortress being overrun by its own undead can simply choose not to bury the dead properly, and to knock off the noble who prevents it.

Those who wish to prevent the undead menace should be more assiduous about taking care of the dead.  As is, there is relatively little penalty to letting some random immigrant's body rot on the other side of the map.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

To implement this idea before magic is insane, even so, this is incredibly game-breaking. I'm perfectly fine with House Rash remaining undertakers.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

At the most I'd expect the Rashidian to begin holding funerals that lessen the negative thoughts coming from having a friend/spouse/fellow dwarf die
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anticheese:
<STRONG>At the most I'd expect the Rashidian to begin holding funerals that lessen the negative thoughts coming from having a friend/spouse/fellow dwarf die</STRONG>

"...was comforted by a stirring eulogy recently." I like it!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

While I wholly support more zombie uprisings, I agree with the person earlier.

Why would the start of this be tied with the House Rash noble? Is he some sort of scheming mad scientist using dwarven neurotoxins to reanimate the dead?

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Sorry for coming in late, but I too would like to ask how you thought the Råshid was responsible for raising the dead?  Like suggested above, the house Råsh should embalm and prepare bodies for burial, arrange funerals, and with dwarven bureaucracy, fill out the death certificate.

The later thing (involving filling out forms) could delay burying, and it would sort of be something like a punishment to the player for having so many dead dwarves.  Heck, while I'm here, I'll say this.  If the economy is active and the Råsh has arrived, dwarves and their loved ones would have to buy a coffin or tomb from him.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

On a kind of related note, what exactly causes the dead to rise, anyway? What makes an evil zone evil? Demons, so-called dark forces, etc.? I'm assuming this'll be fleshed out a lot better in later versions but I'm wondering if Toady has come out and said if there's a force or party behind the living dead and the blighted lands.

Also, the mortician shouldn't make zombies. If anything the guy should prevent zombie attacks by mandating proper burials for everyone. (Maybe in lead caskets entombed in realgar.)

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>Why would the start of this be tied with the House Rash noble? Is he some sort of scheming mad scientist using dwarven neurotoxins to reanimate the dead?</STRONG>

"Let me give you some green color and you will ask for more, you will see that you've never felt this way before.  Party without limits of sex and don't be blue!  Move your dead bones bones bones, the secret will keep you alive!  Move your dead bones bones bones!  You'll dance for the rest of your life; reanimate your feet!"

Pages: 1 [2]