Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reinstate house Râsh / Armies of the Undead  (Read 1263 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Reinstate house Râsh / Armies of the Undead
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

The idea:

Like in version 23, when you have reached a sufficient number of deaths (100?), the house Râsh noble will arrive.

What does it do:

When the house Râsh representative is present, wildlife becomes undead (if it is not already on an evil map).

Next to that, a new form of invasion gets unlocked: your dead dwarves raise from the grave to haunt you. Undead dwarves will come from coffins, graveyards or if you lack those, random locations INSIDE your fortress.

Third but not least, the Râsh noble can control (tame) undead that you have captured in a cage trap. You cannot assign the undead to other dwarves. Imagine your Râsh noble heading out with 20 skeletal elephants and a zombie Titan to meet that bronze colossus  :D

(Extra: The house Râsh noble arrives with a pet giant cave spider. Free webs for everyone!)

(Extra: If your house Râsh noble dies, all undead he commands will turn hostile and he will raise as a wraith that can pass walls, kills children and destroys masterpieces. Mweheheheh. Insta-tantrum)

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reinstate house Râsh / Armies of the Undead
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

Why would the dead rise up when some sort of mortician dwarf arive? Also it is stupid that the wildlife would die and rise up.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

If you have nothing better to do than troll you can better do nothing at all.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

Trolling? Well your idea just sucks. Why the hell whould dead dwarf bodies rise up when some crazed noble dwarf arive. Whould you be happy when your rotting corpse of your wife of some other love one whould rise up? Of course not. If that crazed House rash dwarf whould arive he would immedialty be killed by the other dwarfs.

But your idea can be used for evil necromancers, who will sneak in to your fort or steal some corpes or try to destroy your fort, so that he can creat a army of the undead.

BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

It would be interesting to see a Necromancer's workshop and process corpses and bones with skulls, as opposed to randomly undead wildlife.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

You could be more civil, Doler.  You can say "I don't like that idea" without calling it stupid.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

This idea seems more like a game breaker to me. Why would all wildlife suddenly die and rise as undead because some dwarf arrives? And if it did, why would the dwarves even welcome him in the first place? You'd think they'd chase him away with crossbows and sharp farm tools at first sight.

And having that happen as soon as you get 100 dead would just make me abandon every fortress after 100 dead unless I could turn it off. Not that I ever had that many dead, but still...

No... This needs elaboration.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

I am sorry that i was a bit harsh. This sugestion can work when some evil guy comes to your fort and rise the undead. I can understand that a dwarf can raise undead animala legally, but a dead dwarf?
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

Perhaps it would take a special fey mood reserved for the Rash representative to create an undead dwarf. It would be interesting to see this undead dwarf go on to lead an otherwise normal life, performing tasks but never eating nor drinking, perhaps sleeping in a coffin and never seeing the outdoors.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:27:00 pm »

Looks to me like multiple possiblilities for a house Râsh noble. I like the idea of a noble who can tame the undead beasties. Some of the other ideas, not so much.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

This idea sucks. If I wanted to be raped I'd make megabeasts appear once a day and have ten times the health.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>Perhaps it would take a special fey mood reserved for the Rash representative to create an undead dwarf. It would be interesting to see this undead dwarf go on to lead an otherwise normal life, performing tasks but never eating nor drinking, perhaps sleeping in a coffin and never seeing the outdoors.</STRONG>

Now this idea I like! Also the idea of training undead animals. You could even "hasten the process" by merely adding an option to the Butcher's Shop to instead of merely slaying and cutting up a tame animal, to specially prepare it for rising as an undead. Hmmm... Alchemist's Workshop extracting embalming fluid somehow? I can just see it: Your regular war dogs might choke on the occasional bone or two, but war zombie dogs don't need to breathe, so that [BONECARN] tag isn't such a nuisance!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Necromancers and stuff have been suggested before, and I don't see why dwarves, who get nothing but bad thoughts from dead and dying things, would embrace one as a noble.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

House Rash has nothing to do with Necromancy. They're undertakers, not liches. Sorry, this idea is misplaced at best.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »

I would suggest that a noble should't be a necromancer.  However, I think that there should be a small chance that a dwarf having long periods of exposure to corpses and miasma could become some kind of degenerate, and if he is then struck by a fay mood he could become a necromancer and start building some kind of frankendwarf or raising zombies or somesuch.  Maybe he performs a curse that causes him to come back as a vampire dwarf after he dies...  Lots of possibilities.

You could "force" Necromancer dwarves to be created by locking them in a room specially prepared with rotting corpses (dwarf corpses should only count).  But to prevent exploitation, maybe only 1 in 8 dwarves would actually become necromancers (and they'd still need a fay mood to do it).  The rest would just go insane or become severely depressed when exposed to that much death.  This way there's a bit of a risk involved.

Once you've got your necromancer(s), his skill can improve as he experiments with his abilities.  Maybe even have a special workshop that only gets unlocked after you have your first necromancer.  There he can make more powerful versions of undead without having to use the other workshops.  I would imagine frankendwarves would be made at craftsdwarf shops during fay moods...

One interesting thing could be allowing a vampire dwarf to eventually become a noble or to attract a vampire noble.  Maybe there's a dark order of vampire dwarves hidden away somewhere with their own nobles who only get involved in fortresses where necromancy is accepted.  Could even base some interesting subplots on this...

For those who don't want to accept necromancy, there could be an option on the justice window that toggles "Necromancy is illegal".  Then any dwarf found to be practicing necromancy gets jailed/executed.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Rob Allen ]

Pages: [1] 2