Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on Realistic Organ Damage  (Read 1033 times)

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Realistic Organ Damage
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:18 pm »

I was playing the new version and had dwarves getting various injuries. I was curious how organ damage was implemented in the current version. After a little looking, I found the answer seems to be 'not much'. Tissues can be used to model structure and (limited) functionality loss, but these don't handle effects like those caused to real organs.

For example: If a real person were stabbed in the stomach so that the intestine was perforated, all kinds of nasty bacteria and toxins would be released into their abdomen. This would cause all kinds of nastiness from nausea with fevers and swelling to necrosis. Injury to other organs also has similar effects. Broken bones could cause lung/organ damage (due to small pieces clogging clogging the small capillaries).

Some of these effects may be possible to add using the syndrome system. Could organs be set to contain a toxin that would be released when the organ is punctured or broken? What other nastiness should occur when specific organs are damaged?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Thoughts on Realistic Organ Damage
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:31 pm »

Unfortunately, the syndrome system is limited to contaminants or injections.  The best you could get is possibly making a gaseous or liquid internal layer in an organ that has a syndrome that the creature isn't immune to, and you run the risk of them infecting themselves before any wound is dealt.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »

Even if this were possible, I would see it being borderline pointless.

Almost all semi-serious organ wounds are fatal bloodloss OR suffocation wounds.  Mangled or MISSING organs are pretty much death in a couple of dwarf-seconds.  Bruised implies not-pierced/cut.  Pierced/cut organs are usually fatal bloodloss wounds.

Even then, in the super-slim chance that a dwarf DOES survive a non-bruise internal organ injury, than you'll have players just flipping levers to flood hospital rooms because the dwarf becomes a hopeless case that doctors would just waste time on trying to stabilize only resulting in death and time lost not caring for other patients that need help.

Right now, it just seems that blood loss seems to do all the work for that kinds of stuff.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

Even if this were possible, I would see it being borderline pointless.

Almost all semi-serious organ wounds are fatal bloodloss OR suffocation wounds.  Mangled or MISSING organs are pretty much death in a couple of dwarf-seconds.  Bruised implies not-pierced/cut.  Pierced/cut organs are usually fatal bloodloss wounds.

Even then, in the super-slim chance that a dwarf DOES survive a non-bruise internal organ injury, than you'll have players just flipping levers to flood hospital rooms because the dwarf becomes a hopeless case that doctors would just waste time on trying to stabilize only resulting in death and time lost not caring for other patients that need help.

Right now, it just seems that blood loss seems to do all the work for that kinds of stuff.

Speak for yourself... The more crippled the dwarf the more cherished he/she should be! I build monuments to my battle-scarred vets.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »

Speak for yourself... The more crippled the dwarf the more cherished he/she should be! I build monuments to my battle-scarred vets.

Depends on if the dwarf earned it.  A random dude who got shot with a goblin arrow?  Who cares.  The guy who rushed in and killed a squad of them?  He's earned it.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

Hehehe nice...I personally honor my vets even if they are only fresh recruits....they kept the fort alive!

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:10 am »

Depends on if the dwarf earned it.  A random dude who got shot with a goblin arrow?  Who cares.  The guy who rushed in and killed a squad of them?  He's earned it.

Most dwarfs are migrants, and fledgling fortresses are (depending on how much Fun you want to have) dangerous. They deserve a badge of honor just for showing up. Think of the courage it takes for cheesemakers to leave the safety of the Mountainhome; the only thing they know for certain, is that it's uncertain.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:50 am »

Well, cheesemakers actually have a use now, so they aren't quite as expendable.

Of course, doesn't mean they get monuments just for surviving.  Taking a really long hike is the easy part!
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:04 pm »

Monuments and care are all well and good for an injured dwarf of any skill, even if he's going to die.  He's given his life for the fort, and that's a dwarf's dwarf...

...as long as it doesn't interfere with getting a legendary hammerdwarf with his head gushing blood from a unlucky roll of the dice a cleaning, suture, and dressing.  I dislike losing two dwarves because I wanted to give one with a bolt in his stomach special treatment before his unpreventable death.  While it's nice and may actually save his life just barely, but it's a huge gamble if you've got multiple wounded dwarves (which is going to be likely any time there is a siege).
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.