Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming Non-Dwarven Ruins!  (Read 1685 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming Non-Dwarven Ruins!
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:03 pm »

So, while I can't give the specific history of the site, due to me accidentally leaving on "World History Starts Obscured" in worldgen...I have found an awesome new type of reclaim to play on.

The Non-Dwarven Ruin!

The site in question was one I found in adventure mode. It seems to have been the victim of many, many wars between goblins and humans, each of which seem to have built their own style of buildings on the property at different times. There are three goblin towers on the site, many intact human buildings that seem to have been abandoned...not /that/ long ago, as they still have fresh food but looted shops, and older, completely ruined human buildings.

Its a new type of challenge for me. I have to figure out how to deal not only with the three goblin towers, but the widespread human buildings. I've spent my entire first year using all of my dwarves to build a massive wall around the site; otherwise it would have suffered the same fate all the other inhabitants obviously suffered.

Amusingly enough, the first group of wild animals I found...mountain goats...spawned on the snow-covered roof of one of the towers.

This should be fun! Had to find it in adventure mode first though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Reclaiming Non-Dwarven Ruins!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »

YO QUIERO!

(In English: I want)

Please. Screenshots and gen data.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:06 pm »

Ditto. Give us this!

Now, how exactly did you unlock the reclaim? Was it from the beginning? Or were you allowed to reclaim it only after your adventurer discovered it?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »

I had to discover it manually in adventure mode, and then go find it manually in Dwarf Fortress mode. There isn't any 'easy button' to push to find it. Its just like visiting any inhabited site, except its a ruin, which is why I had to find it in adventure mode first. There was nothing from the Map screen to tell me it was anything special, the only way I knew was by going there first.

Unfortunately, the bitmap image DF has spit out of the ground layer is 12 megs! Holy crap! I don't know how you people post those things to this forum; Imageshack won't touch it.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »

so you didn't get it through the actual reclaim function?
was it put onto your map after you found it in adventure mode, or was it always there?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:52 pm »

You open it in paint and save-as a png.  It becomes over 9000 times smaller.

I mean, the 12 meg bitmap.  It's large only because it's a bitmap and bitmaps are huge images with no concept of compression.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »

Actually, you can tell if a town is a ruin by looking at its symbol; ruins display the same symbol as buckets (don't know what it's called, looks somewhat like a 'u'.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6565/groundlevelendofyear1.png

Note: I dug out those extra tunnels, and built the wall but everything else on the map was there before. Its not even that huge of a deal, I always knew you could have multiple types of sites stacked together like this, ever since you had species conquering different types of sites...it just never occured to me to do anything with it in fortress mode.

Note the two ruined human houses, one stuck into the mountain, the other on the southern portion. The other human houses were pretty normal, except a few near the south had furrowed sand atop their floors, which all seems to be gone now.

The major challenge was just trying to figure out how I'd defend this sprawling settlement from a siege. The wall was a bit of a cop out, an easy, non-dwarven solution. But it was the best that occured to me.

TO ISGC: It was always there, but I couldn't tell it was a ruin without having been to it. I had no way of knowing whether or not it was inhabited from the Fortress mode map screen. Even if I did know it was a ruin, I wouldn't have known it was anything other then just a few empty human buildings. The thing that interests me is that its a mostly-intact ruin resulting from multiple civilizations inhabiting it.

Edit: Urist has posted while I'm typing. It looked like a crown for me on my screen, but I use a custom tileset so I'm not how that all translates out. I don't use DF without a tileset.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:48 pm »

I hope you made those walls 2 levels high. Else the gob's will be able to shoot Straight over them.

Overall though. This is the coolest site ever.
How tall are the goblin towers?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:53 pm »

Not including the roofs, which can all be accessed:

1 2, and two 3's. The lower two are the threes.

Also, no, I only made them one level high. Oops! I'll do the next level next winter.

Created in DF v0.31.02.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know if it will work for everyone, because I have the Community Combat Rebalance mod...I don't know if that'll affect Worldgen stuff or not. My other minor mods shouldn't affect worldgen.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3204/newbitmapimagebb.png

There. I got an image of the reclaim site. It'll look like a...I have no idea what, but it'll look like something. As noted above, your mileage may vary. If you know what to look for though, I bet you could easily find one yourself, now.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:40:20 pm by lastofthelight »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »

If you have access to goblin civs in that place, take warning... those obsidian towers probably add a TON of worth.  Expect ambushes with multiple squads early on  :o

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:02 am »

I love taking over fresh ruins, mainly in Kobold Camp though, I always seem them as a scavenger tribe when they're not founding a new village.

But yes you can also engrave I think every surface you can access in Towers.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 04:37:50 pm »

Thank you very much.

EDIT: the place you pointed out keep spawning a dwarven civilization. I would love to have this place you have. Is there any way for you to post the save?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:10:12 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.