Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows should be called kill zones.  (Read 1331 times)

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows should be called kill zones.
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »

Because lol I dug out a little room that was gonna serve as my safe zone during a siege, I assigned a dwarf to it, then the next (real life) day I forgot about it. So today (two days after I assigned the dwarf) I found my dwarf starving and dehydrated! I had completely forgotten about it, luckily he survived after I unassigned him. But wow.
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows should be called kill zones.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:11:40 pm »

They should leave the burrow to eat and drink. Did it say he was "starving" or was he just flashing a brown arrow?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

They should leave the burrow to eat and drink. Did it say he was "starving" or was he just flashing a brown arrow?
Are you sure? When I get around to using burrows I want everybody to eat and drink in whichever burrow they're assigned to, not travel 300 units to some other burrow just because they're in the mood for a puppy tallow biscuit.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:53 pm »

IIRC, Toady said that using burrows to have unwanted migrants starve to death in a corner of your meeting zone will not work, as they would eventually seek out food elsewhere.

I haven't tried this myself though.

Time for SCIENCE!  ;D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

I think they are supposed to leave their burrows for food only when starving or dehydrated.  If there is food and drink available in their burrow they shouldn't get to that point.  Makes me think them not flipping you off in ASCII, and leaving their burrow for food is a bug.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:52:42 pm »

IIRC, Toady said that using burrows to have unwanted migrants starve to death in a corner of your meeting zone will not work, as they would eventually seek out food elsewhere.

Time for SCIENCE!  ;D
Yes, I think the least we can ask is that you put some effort and imagination into your fantasy immigrant death camps instead of telling them to stand in a corner until they die.

Maybe at the least flag them all for smelting and have them work the furnaces like a real despot.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:43 am »

Time for SCIENCE!  ;D
Yes, I think the least we can ask is that you put some effort and imagination into your fantasy immigrant death camps instead of telling them to stand in a corner until they die.

Maybe at the least flag them all for smelting and have them work the furnaces like a real despot.

Or better yet, flag them all for melting and have them be worked inside of the furnaces like a real Dwarf.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:49 am »

Time for SCIENCE!  ;D

Tested this by changing the civilian alert level, sending all 30 dorfs to an empty room. They all starved/died from thirst. Haven't tested it with non-civilian alert level burrows yet.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:25:05 am »

I assumed that they were supposed to leave the burrows unless you turned on burrow-only restrictions, but that such wasn't working yet.