Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The shells! The shells!  (Read 3368 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: The shells! The shells!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:10:18 pm »

I don't know if it works or not, I haven't tried it yet.  I just put it together in a few minutes by taking the [SHELL] and [BONE] tags that I saw in the templates for shells and bones, slapping them on petrified wood, and changing the name and tile.  I'll build and test an upgraded version of this now.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:43 pm »

Okay, attempt #1 didn't work out so well, but I'll try again.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 05:04:36 pm »

Would it work with an extra step, maybe?

Fossil -> Dug out to give "fossil boulder" -> Custom reaction that takes fossil boulder and produces shell and bone -> Use shell

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:20:16 pm »

No, I think I figured out the problem: when I get an error message, it's always "needs unrotten bone/shell body part".  I interpret this to mean that it has to come from an animal, and thus be "____ bone".

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »

If it were so easy as to make a reaction to turn an item into a shell, we would already have a working reaction, but presently no one knows the working product to produce a shell.

I figure it may have to do with the CORPSEPIECE or CORPSE or FISH_RAW, but none of it seems to work.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:25:13 pm »

I'm pretty certain it's the fact that all true bones/shells etc. are labeled through in-game processes as the body parts of some creature.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »

It might be possible to make a plant be have a shell, though...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »

Oh!  I've got an idea!  What if we combined the raw files for plants/stone and animals to try and butcher a rock?

EDIT: ...or get a "Rough-hewn turtle wall"...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:41:59 pm by Arkenstone »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 05:45:19 pm »

Oh!  I've got an idea!  What if we combined the raw files for plants/stone and animals to try and butcher a rock?

EDIT: ...or get a "Rough-hewn turtle wall"...

I hope you're sleep deprived right now, because if this is your normal thought process.... *shudder*

;D

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:38 pm »

No, seriously, we should try messing things up and seeing what actually works; I think that the butchering a rock idea was actually a good lead on to stuff like "fossil bone," "fossil shell," "fossil tooth," etc.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 06:00:18 pm »

No, seriously, we should try messing things up and seeing what actually works; I think that the butchering a rock idea was actually a good lead on to stuff like "fossil bone," "fossil shell," "fossil tooth," etc.

I don't think you'd be able to butcher it unless you made it a creature.  At which point you wouldn't be able to put it into stone layers.  And you'd have wandering fossils.

Actually, that would almost work in a demented sort of way.  Make a Fossil creature.  Make it appear in all non-water Biomes, but making it water breathing and immobile on land.  Assuming wildlife races aren't tracked through worldgen the way civilizations are, you should end up with a creature that occasionally spawns on any map, and subsequently dies, allowing you to butcher it.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 06:03:19 pm »

They are; that's how you end up with no fish in the first place!

Pages: 1 [2]