Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 35120 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2010, 10:20:47 pm »

By Amok, we must turn hell into obsidian.

Suggestion for mega project: Make your entire hell layer into pure obsidian.

That's actually my plan for handling hell. Dig to a pipe, fortifications on one side, set up the massive magma/water plumbing to those fortifications, and start building myself an obsidian flavored layer cake.

At least, I think I remember hearing that fortifications don't count as breaching the tube. Hope not.
Nah, they still reveal it, it just keeps the demons from getting into your fort.
I've heard reports of steam (or similar materials) demons going through fortifications but I've never seen it.

Gaseous Demons can and will go through fortifications, they're also pretty much unkillable, as nothing can hurt them.

If you have Gaseous Demons, then you lose.

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »

When I breach hell, I go into it with this music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlLuBh3FeN4
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2010, 10:42:16 pm »

That's actually my plan for handling hell. Dig to a pipe, fortifications on one side, set up the massive magma/water plumbing to those fortifications, and start building myself an obsidian flavored layer cake.

At least, I think I remember hearing that fortifications don't count as breaching the tube. Hope not.
Nah, they still reveal it, it just keeps the demons from getting into your fort.
I've heard reports of steam (or similar materials) demons going through fortifications but I've never seen it.

Gaseous Demons can and will go through fortifications, they're also pretty much unkillable, as nothing can hurt them.

But aren't their melee attacks worthless so the only danger is breath attacks? When I breached my first time all of the breath attacks I encountered bounced off of my dwarves' +pig tail shoes+.

Of course, it's not like you could run a fortress with gas demons running around scaring everyone to bits. If the demons don't get them then the tantrum spirals from inevitable starvation deaths because the demons are guarding the food stockpiles will.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »

But aren't their melee attacks worthless so the only danger is breath attacks? When I breached my first time all of the breath attacks I encountered bounced off of my dwarves' +pig tail shoes+.

Of course, it's not like you could run a fortress with gas demons running around scaring everyone to bits. If the demons don't get them then the tantrum spirals from inevitable starvation deaths because the demons are guarding the food stockpiles will.

Depends on the demons; the first Gaseous Demons i ran into were clouds of gaseous iron. Their ambient heat was so high they just melted all my Dwarves.

The next lot i ran into were clouds of poison, that didn't go well.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2010, 01:32:52 pm »

By Armok, we must turn hell into obsidian.

Depends on the demons; the first Gaseous Demons i ran into were clouds of gaseous iron. Their ambient heat was so high they just melted all my Dwarves.

The next lot i ran into were clouds of poison, that didn't go well.
How did we get 5 quotes in without noticing he spelled Armok wrong?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »

If they path through water and magma and destroy doors, could this be used to cause them to encase themselves in obsidian by destroying the door between water and magma, while simultaneously sealing off the passage they were coming through?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2010, 04:17:40 pm »

If they path through water and magma and destroy doors, could this be used to cause them to encase themselves in obsidian by destroying the door between water and magma, while simultaneously sealing off the passage they were coming through?
The whole water/magma deal is a little problematic. The flows are not very dynamic, so what you get is the one square where they first touch (namely, the square where the door was) turning to obsidian and blocking off the flows and pathing.

One possible solution could be to force them to path through magma or water under a bridge-floor with a layer of magma or water on top of it, and either moving the bridge or allowing the demons to destroy it. The top layer should fall and immediately turn all of the bottom layer into obsidian with encased demon refuse.

The problem is deciding how to deal with yon deamons. You could bank on them being likely to evaporate water and go with a magma lower layer, then end up with Snow Demons eliminating your magma. Either recipe for demon layer-cake has a possibility of failure.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »

how about a one-tiled vertical exit from hell, with a constant obsidian making pump machine overhead.. demons go to exit, demons get crushed, rinse and repeat for YEARS untill demons are all gone.  ? maybe?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »

Some demons can't be crushed (by all reports, at least). Spirits of Fire couldn't in the last version, for instance.

That's the reason for encasing them in obsidian rather than merely caving things in on them.

Now, as to where an uncrushable demon goes when the open tile it's standing on turns into an obsidian block dropped from several stories up... I don't know. That would be a fun death message to test.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2010, 11:01:29 pm »

Okay. A Y-shaped pronged tunnel. Hell's at the bottom, 1x1 everywhere. Magma pumps in one side, water, the other. They combine at the center of the Y and form obsidian blocks, fall, smash, and kill any demons trying to come up. for megabonus work it so that there are enough pumps on both side that there's a constant 7-deep magma and water flow on each side.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2010, 12:42:13 am »

couldn't you just flood hell and suffocate the demons?or do they not need to breathe?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2010, 09:06:38 am »

couldn't you just flood hell and suffocate the demons?or do they not need to breathe?

They do not breathe.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

robfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2010, 10:37:54 am »

By armok i have a plan  :o Send in Kittens with modified slade claws. (Caste: "Killer kitty") which also like to have a few catsplosions.. so lots of killer kittys for all :D

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »

and add max_edge to slade so the claws actually matter.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »

and add max_edge to slade so the claws actually matter.
Why slade? Just add a few more digits to adamantine's max_edge and let it flow.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12