Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 35065 times)

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »

I'm sure water and fire demons breed to make steam demons all the time :D
Tarran cancels read forum; too insane.
Tarran has gone stark raving mad!

Hey, this isn't Call of Cthulhu.

Although, it would be hilarious if there were demons whose appearance was so horrific and contrary to the laws of nature that it drove dwarves who fought it insane.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »

So... What happens if you breach hell, cap it, and leave it capped until demons fill hell up completely?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »

So... What happens if you breach hell, cap it, and leave it capped until demons fill hell up completely?

Coidzure... you know what happens when there is no more room in Hell.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »

Coidzure... you know what happens when there is no more room in Hell.

Your FPS drops to 0.00000000000000000000.......0000001

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:40 pm »

By the way, has anyone unleashed hell then observed what happens in that world afterword? I'm planning to do most of my playing in a single giant world, so I'd like to know.

Specifically, do demons interfere with surface life elsewhere, what happens if you try to reclaim, and what happens if you try to visit as an adventurer?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »

Well, don't they still show up as liasons from the Humans after a while, no matter how they end up on the surface?

Granted, they'd have to wander off of the map on the surface...

It would definitely make one wonder what would happen when the Demon diplomat from the human Merchant Princes shows up at your fort with the other demons still running around and setting fire to the landscape...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »

Well, don't they still show up as liasons from the Humans after a while, no matter how they end up on the surface?

Granted, they'd have to wander off of the map on the surface...

It would definitely make one wonder what would happen when the Demon diplomat from the human Merchant Princes shows up at your fort with the other demons still running around and setting fire to the landscape...

*DAMN* I want to see this... a showdown between the demons trying to burn kill and destroy everything, and the (more experienced) demon trying to work out trade agreements...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2010, 01:10:05 am »

By the way, has anyone unleashed hell then observed what happens in that world afterword? I'm planning to do most of my playing in a single giant world, so I'd like to know.

Specifically, do demons interfere with surface life elsewhere, what happens if you try to reclaim, and what happens if you try to visit as an adventurer?

If you lose a Fort to Hell, do not reclaim the fort.

Jesus wept, don't do it, think of all the poor Dwarves, don't do it for the love of mercy!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:23 am »

Jesus wept, don't do it, think of all the poor Dwarves, don't do it for the love of mercy!

So, if I wanted to lose a fort with the intention of reclaiming it some day, and wanted to use Hell as the mechanism, I would, what...

Open hell on a time-delay, with a failsafe/dead-dwarfs-switch that will seal it back with obsidian after only a few of the beasties have escaped.

Then roll through with an adventurer bringing some good-old-fashioned murder, then reclaim?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:42 am »

So, if I wanted to lose a fort with the intention of reclaiming it some day, and wanted to use Hell as the mechanism, I would, what...

Open hell on a time-delay, with a failsafe/dead-dwarfs-switch that will seal it back with obsidian after only a few of the beasties have escaped.

Then roll through with an adventurer bringing some good-old-fashioned murder, then reclaim?

If you reclaim a Fort that has surface access for the Demons, when your reclaimation force arrives the demons are still there.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2010, 01:48:58 am »

Don't know about other surface life. It seems possible that the legends would identify a demon as "escaped," but you would have to wait possibly decades to see any changes.

On the other hand, if you bring an adventurer to a demon-infested fort, you will undoubtedly be Falcon-punched into a wall mere dozens of frames after being spotted.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:37 am »

If you reclaim a Fort that has surface access for the Demons, when your reclaimation force arrives the demons are still there.

The failsafe renders the number of demons finite (obsidian plugs their hole), then the adventurer renders the number of demons zero. Assuming this were an exceptionally tough adventurer, at any rate.

If the adventurer can't do it, I'm guessing I could kill at least *one* demon with a well-though-out reclamation plan... dozens of miners can rig up a hell of a cave-in in very little time.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:04 am »

The failsafe renders the number of demons finite (obsidian plugs their hole), then the adventurer renders the number of demons zero. Assuming this were an exceptionally tough adventurer, at any rate.

If the adventurer can't do it, I'm guessing I could kill at least *one* demon with a well-though-out reclamation plan... dozens of miners can rig up a hell of a cave-in in very little time.

Good luck.

You'll need it.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »

Well, I've got an idea, though it's untested; I'm working on it.
Theoretically, however, if you release the demons onto the world at large in such a way that they can't reach your fort, they should eventually fly off and leave you be.
My plan is to build an "escape tunnel" from the point of breakage to the outside world, seal it off from my fortress, and seal my fortress up, and sacrifice some useless dwarf to re-break Hell.  They won't be able to reach me or my heavily fortified dwarves, but they might get bored and fly off the map instead.  Worst case scenario, I've made the world a much more interesting place.

Huh, linked to this thread in another and forgot I'd posted this.  Guess what?  Didn't work.  My FPS went down even more.  I'm gonna build another fortress elsewhere and see what those released demons end up doing.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

I'm thinking of some kind of mod to make an eternal war feasible.

We could use castes along with a well thought out fortress design.

Mod dwarves so that a tiny proportion of dwarves born are a separate caste *daemon hunters*, with the strength and endurance to face even the beasts of hell.
Imagine it!
The shaft breaks through into hell, someone must defend the fortress.

From the moment of his birth they knew he was special, his skin the unnatural color of adamantine, around him a holy aura inimical to daemons(some work has been done with creatures which produce toxic gas?), holy symbols glowing faintly beneath his flesh.

When such a dwarf is born a crusade against the dark horrors beneath the surface of the world is planned.

A fortress could be built around rearing even 1 or 2 such dwarves and training/equipping them and finally sending them to fight an eternal battle with the darkness.

Alternatively we could have a competition to see who can build the trap that kills the most demons in vanilla DF.
I'm thinking something like a layer of water over a layer of magma with hatches in between, at one end a small room separated with a door (which the demons will destroy flooding the room with magma)with a sacrifice and all the hatches linked to one lever. Draw as many demons as you can into the room, pull the lever and encase them all in stone.

Of course this would have to be done in a part of the fortress which is sealed off and with a few different measures to steralise the area and reseal hell in case not all the demons are killed in the magma trap.

Person who gets the longest string of demon kills in a row wins.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12