Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 35094 times)

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:01 am »

They are randomized, so they don't appear in the RAWs. Nice try though. It might be possible to build a trap that automatically drops obsidian blocks on their heads, into the bottomless pits. That might allow you to eventually kill every demon after a few years in real time. But eventually some will probably get through.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 11:29:53 am »

If only attributes hadn't been capped. We could've trained up dwarves to insane degrees and then just have them fighting demons for the rest of their lives. :D
Oh, they'll be fighting demons for the rest of their lives alright. All three seconds of it. ;)

On a brighter note, I think the following is appropriate inspiration:

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy — the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial — carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

I'm imagining tiers of siege weapons and crossbow emplacements around a central point manned by 160-odd dwarves, and a single lever to smash open a portal to hell.

Once I figure out how to work the military screen I'm going to try building a fortress dedicated entirely to defeating the underworld. All of it.

80% of the population would be military, supported by the finest armor and weapon smiths in the realm. Station them next to an adamantine tube, construct elaborate fortifications.

And then breach the tube.

All migrants instantly go to the military to bolster the front lines.

Legendary surgeons and doctors tending to the wounded, turning them around and sending them back to the front lines.

Huge catacombs with legendary engravings of dwarves fighting demons with masterwork coffins for the glorious dead.

:D

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:09 am »

You could probably cut down the amount you fight at once by making the breach a fortification. I know in my world some of them could pass through fortifications and some couldn't.

The downside is the ones that could pass through the fortification were invincible beings made of mist and fire. But if you could figure a way to kill those that come through that, the rest would probably be manageable.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 11:54:23 am »

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Oops.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:43 pm »

Is it beyond belief that the number of demons is truly infinite?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »

I'm starting to wonder this. If all the demon species are "numberless", it's plausible that Toady just made them entirely infinite.

Of course, the difference between "28 billion" and "infinite" is a pretty fine line when killing ~10 of them is a challenge.  ;D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:50 pm »

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Oops.  ;D
*slaps Grax in the back of the head*. ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »

Oops.  ;D
*slaps Grax in the back of the head*. ::)
You know, this don't make me less sad of these demons...  :D
Finis sanctificat media.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 01:53:06 pm »

Actually I don't think ALL the demons you generate end up in the list.

SkyShadowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 03:04:04 pm »

Sky Shadowing, Internet Browser cancels Browse Forums: Head Imploding
Sky Shadowing, Internet Browser has been struck down!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 08:16:56 pm »

I'm starting to wonder this. If all the demon species are "numberless", it's plausible that Toady just made them entirely infinite.

Of course, the difference between "28 billion" and "infinite" is a pretty fine line when killing ~10 of them is a challenge.  ;D

It's possible that 'numberless' does actually mean 'infinite', but as you said, 'infinite' and '28 million' are fundamentally exactly the same in gameplay. Hell they're fundamentally the same when applied to Vermin (you're never going to kill all the flies in the world, even with a cat army).

Zengrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 09:26:48 pm »

I think you guys also forgetting something.... what about breeding?? all other animals/sentinal beings breed. So even say there is billions of them, and you try to kill them all, wouldn't they breed faster then you could ever kill them?? Or do demons not have babies?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:06:27 pm by Vertigon »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

I'm sure water and fire demons breed to make steam demons all the time :D
Tarran cancels read forum; too insane.
Tarran has gone stark raving mad!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:14 pm »

Wait, if demons would be created from people dieing, then the HFS would grow by thousands a second. Holy sh*t.
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12