Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mantlets?  (Read 631 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Mantlets?
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

Mantlets

These would be a great way to keep my soldiers from getting pincushioned as they approach a besieging army. Perhaps now that the army arc is coming up, these could be used by the AI armies as well?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Re: Mantlets?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

Good God, the first thing I thought when I read the topic was "Mentats?". I thought of Maud and forgot all else...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

I thought "man-lets? like...a manwich, only an omlet?"

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>I thought "man-lets? like...a manwich, only an omlet?"</STRONG>

I... I'm disgusted... but I can't stop thinking about it...

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Actually, mantlets are a type of portable shield that is rolled across the battlefield to protect the troops behind it from enemy fire.

Like this:

But with wheels.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

Unfortunaly for siegers it just gives a bigger target for the defending dwarven catapults.  ;)
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

True, but it would likely deal most of the damage to the mantlet, and less would get through to the soldiers on the other side.

Edit: another interesting aspect. Soldiers would often rool their mantlets up to an obstacle (i.e. moat, spike pit, etc.) and kick it over and use it as a bridge. could this be possible?

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Basically, a moving wooden fortification. I doubt this would be hard to implement, but it would probably be hell to actually get them to use it.
No! Don't eat! DON'T TURN IT THAT WAY! WHY ARE YOU KICKING IT DOWN OVER THAT TINY DITCH! GO AROUND IT!
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Impending Doom:
<STRONG>True, but it would likely deal most of the damage to the mantlet, and less would get through to the soldiers on the other side.

Edit: another interesting aspect. Soldiers would often rool their mantlets up to an obstacle (i.e. moat, spike pit, etc.) and kick it over and use it as a bridge. could this be possible?
</STRONG>

True, and yes.

Thing is though, if the mantlet takes a big enough stone its going to shatter into pieces. If the supports give out or the mantlet is cracked in half by a balista bolt its going to fall on YOU.

Granted though its infinitly better than no cover at all, i guess they are just vulnerable to small siege weapons such as our dwarf minicatapults as opposed to say... a trebuchet.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?