Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tobacco!  (Read 1809 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

Well, we already have rat weed!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Not true. Tobacco DOES make stoned: Marijuana is an 'upper', tobacco is a 'downer'.</STRONG>

You really don't know what you're talking about.

joramun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

Tobacco is an addictive stress regulator.
It doesn't really stimulate or anything,
but it overrides other stress sources :
if you're stressed, smoking will get you calm.
Not getting your nicotine will cause an increasing stress.

Marijuana gets you stoned, and thus has many side effect,
like hilarity, absence of focus, loss of reflexes,
bad trips, but is NEVER a stimulant.

I agree dwarf should definetely be able to smoke, and absorb other products.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

"Nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report. First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, calmness, and alertness. It is even reported to produce a mildly euphoric state. By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence. It also allows the mouth to be stimulated without food, and the taste of tobacco smoke may curb the appetite."

Okay, so it releases adrenaline, increases the metabolism, makes you more alert, and is pretty blatantly a stimulant.

It's really bad I have to get sources to back up what should be common knowledge.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

This is a finely crafted Pack of Cigarettes. On the front is the image of a one-humped-camel. On the back is an image of a dwarf, the dwarf is dying of lung cancer.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

Urist cancels sleep: totally freaking out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 11:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>

You really don't know what you're talking about.</STRONG>

Matter of opinion.
I think that any drug that surpresses stress, like nicotine does, is a 'downer', definitly not a stimulant. Stress is a state of (over)stimulation.
You are right about the glucose and liver thing though. So for that part it is a stimulant. Like I say, matter of opinion / different approach, so no need to go all like "you don't know nothing".

And well, yeah, if you have (almost) never smoked weed, the weed will make you fall asleep or pass out and could be mistaken for a 'downer'. Same like getting very sick from your first inhaled cigarette. If you're used to smoking the herb, smoking pure will make you active (although there are people with a innate bad resistance to weed who will always fall asleep), raises your metabolism and your heartbeat (stimulate you) and thus, IMO, weed is an 'upper'. Unless you smoke too much.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

"Adith Kasathra, Farmer: Smoking"

"Adith Kasathra coughs."
"Adith Kasathra coughs."
"Adith Kasathra gasps."
"Adith Kasathra collapses."

"Adith Kasathra cancels Smoke: Interrupted by lung cancer."

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

nicotine is considered a mild stimulant, in particular it is one of the only substance known that increase short term memory and thus concentration.

On the same wikipedia article quoted above, you'll directly find : "By binding to ganglion type nicotinic receptors the adrenal medulla nicotine increases flow of adrenaline (epinephrine), a stimulating hormone. [...] The release of adrenaline causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and respiration, as well as higher blood glucose levels"

I believe heart rate and blood pressure are not a matter of opinion.

Athmos

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by joramun:
<STRONG>

Marijuana gets you stoned, and thus has many side effect,
like hilarity, absence of focus, loss of reflexes,
bad trips, but is NEVER a stimulant.

</STRONG>

Hilarity - true
absence of focus - true
loss of reflexes - slightly true, much more so with alcohol

Bad trips - Common misperception about the bad trips:
Weed is not a hallucinogenic substance. Weed will get you high or stoned, not make you trip. So it is not possible to have a bad trip through weed alone. Anyone who experienced a bad trip from smoking weed must sincerely doubt their dealer.
You should be careful, though, with using weed when you are depressed or have schizofrenia, bipolar disease or psychosis present in your family. It does NOT make you happier. It heightens the chance of developing a schizofrenic, psychotic or bipolar disorder when there is already genetic risk.
Also, don't smoke when you have to study. Weed temporarily disables most of your short-term memory, which is also an essential memory in the process of long-term learning.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Athmos:
<STRONG>nicotine is considered a mild stimulant, in particular it is one of the only substance known that increase short term memory and thus concentration.

On the same wikipedia article quoted above, you'll directly find : "By binding to ganglion type nicotinic receptors the adrenal medulla nicotine increases flow of adrenaline (epinephrine), a stimulating hormone. [...] The release of adrenaline causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and respiration, as well as higher blood glucose levels"

I believe heart rate and blood pressure are not a matter of opinion.

Athmos</STRONG>

Like I said, Captntastic was right about the glucose and liver thing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

'In very low concentrations, nicotine acts as a stimulant, and it is one of the main factors responsible for the dependence-forming properties of tobacco smoking.'

SOURCE:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppers#Nicotine

And if you scroll to the bottom of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downer

You'll find marijauna.

Likewise, my grandma, Aunt, and best friend's mom have all been in medical professions for over a combined total of 75 years.  They'd tell you the same things I am saying.  Anything stating the contrary is misinformed, misunderstood, or just plain silly.

Rocko Bonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

I get the impression martinuzz isn't an American, so it's very possible he has been taught a different definition for what a downer and an upper might be.  I think I understand what he means by the effect on mood being somewhat inverse to the chemical definition of what it does.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

When alchemy comes into play, you could give healing draughts and the like some of the disadvantages of drugs.

god, adventurers on heal pot withdrawal... hilarious

[ December 21, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dopefish:
<STRONG>Some drugs could possibly be used to give stat boosts to your military dwarves.</STRONG>

PCP   :D

One dwarf destroys 4 dragons, then goes on too kill a goblin horde, but dies just after.  Hah.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: 1 [2] 3