Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tobacco!  (Read 1810 times)

Sector 7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tobacco!
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »

It might be dangerous to your health and may be socially undesirable to some, but history has shown that tobacco is a valuable crop. It would be grown outside. A workshop would produce cigars from the tobacco, or it could be used from stone or metal pipes. It would give dwarves happy thoughts. It's main purpose, however, would be as a trade good - somewhat reminiscent of the American colonies' tobacco trade.

Good/bad idea?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Tobacco!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

It's in the dev notes, which I am certain you have read through as per Toady's suggestion  :D

And yeah, different locations should be prime for tobacco, and become well known for it.   Likewise, seeds from that region.   Tobacco is used culturally all over the world through various time periods.   Cigars and pipes and such would make excellent crafts.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

Stoned dwarves should stumble and be more prone to messing things up. Dwarves can take ale, but they can't take tobacco.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

Tobacco doesn't make you stoned.   Nicotine's a stimulant.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Squeegy:
<STRONG>Stoned</STRONG>

????

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

Interesting idea, certainly.  But why not take it a step further, and give the ability to manufacture opiates?  That could add a whole new and interesting level to the game - perhaps drugged up dwarves would do better craft works but run the risk of psychosis.  Some drugs could possibly be used to give stat boosts to your military dwarves.

The value of hard drugs as a trade commodity would be pretty high, most likely.  And would probably only increase as whichever civilization the drugs were supplied to simply became more and more hopelessly addicted.

There'd have to be major drawbacks to turning your fortress into the drugs capital of the world, of course.  Fights breaking out, society generally collapsing, that sort of thing.

I dunno.  Maybe the thought of a fortress filled with horrendously drugged-up dwarves just amuses me far, far too much.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 05:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dopefish:
<STRONG>Interesting idea, certainly.  But why not take it a step further, and give the ability to manufacture opiates?  That could add a whole new and interesting level to the game - perhaps drugged up dwarves would do better craft works but run the risk of psychosis.  Some drugs could possibly be used to give stat boosts to your military dwarves.

The value of hard drugs as a trade commodity would be pretty high, most likely.  And would probably only increase as whichever civilization the drugs were supplied to simply became more and more hopelessly addicted.

There'd have to be major drawbacks to turning your fortress into the drugs capital of the world, of course.  Fights breaking out, society generally collapsing, that sort of thing.

I dunno.  Maybe the thought of a fortress filled with horrendously drugged-up dwarves just amuses me far, far too much.</STRONG>

Drugs could be a nice addition to the game, especially if a noble decides to ban them and you have to deal with dozens of dwarves tantruming and vomiting all over the place as they are forced to go cold turkey, and dozens more thrown into jails of hammered for possession.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Tobacco doesn't make you stoned.   Nicotine's a stimulant.</STRONG>

Not true. Tobacco DOES make stoned: Marijuana is an 'upper', tobacco is a 'downer'. So if you smoke the herb pure, you get high, take off your clothes and start babbling incomprehensively. If you mix it with tobacco, you will get stoned and be to lazy to undress or babble. The tobacco actually undoes part of the uplifting effect of marijuana.
Trust me. Dutch specialty.

Confucius say: Man who stand on toilet is high on pot

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

Speaking of drugs, magic mushrooms would be a very dwarven thing. Maybe they'd raise the likelihood of fey moods or something.

Also, I'm 100% behind the hemp idea. You could weave clothes out of it, make oil out of seeds and have your dwarves smoke it to gain happy thoughts and lose productivity. It'd be a nice way to stop the downward spiral of contagious tantruming, as nobody tantrums while stoned.

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:00 am »

"Aw.. You know... Dude... I made... I had thiz... Thiz reaally fine masterpiece adamantium plate mail I made... And.. you know.. Dude.. This little green fellow... Gob.. (*starts laughing uncontrollably for 5 minutes*).. Aw! Where waz I?.. O yeah.. Green fellow! Green! Whahahahahahahahaha... A Goblin! Whahahahahahaha! He stole... No no.. He was green! Whahahahahaha... He stole my plate! No plate..No.. No mail.. Green! Whahahahahaha! Yes!"

I'd rather have them tantrum.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

Naturally the other races would use aswell. Armies of Berserker Goblins on PCP, stoned elves, pushers sneak into the fortress and get dwarves stoned, like the kidnappers and thieves. Finally a use for gnomeblight and golden salve

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

As Nagash, mason, cancels sleep: thizzing.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

It would be nice to have some opiates to give the injured so they can rest without being kept up by pain.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Sector 7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

Well, the main reason I want it is so I can have a thriving trade economy without having to put "make stone crafts" on repeat - making it possible to have an aboveground society if you're playing as humans, for instance.

...But I agree, having a variety of drugs would be a good addition to the game.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

I'm reminded of the plentiful array of *cough* enhancement chemicals available in Fallout and Fallout 2. Mentats for your clerk, Buffout for your mason, Psycho for your soldiers.

And Jet for the elves. To keep them coming back for more of our "trade goods."  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: [1] 2 3