Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse  (Read 30606 times)

Pathos

Re: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

I don't think 100,000 people out of 6,500,000,000 is widespread, sorry.

Also, Dawkins is the poster child of "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole."

According to the word definition, it can be.

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
  • huzzah for home automation
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »

Yeah, this is where I had to stop.

You've taken the Catholic Church and turned it into the Fourth Reich. Seriously, you've blown this far out of proportion.

Also, the Vatican City, while small, is that the very least a Principality, and its ruler (the Pope) can make up whatever rules he wants, although if he is doing what is accused (which I'm pretty sure he isn't; Richard Dawkins is as reliable as Sun) it is pretty reprehensible.

And for that matter, I'd like to bring up another crime against humanity. I know many people in schools who are mentally abused by their own teachers because they do not agree with the theory of evolution. They are told they are wrong, that they are stupid, that their own opinion means nothing.

Richard Dawkins should be sent to jail for mentally scarring actions!

First off, you're an idiot. I'm sorry, but you are. I can't really address anything in your post, because it's all been addressed before and I'm lazy.

Before you rant off on how Richard Dawkins is a terrible person etc etc, try and remember some of us have been taught by Creationist teachers and so, despite a personal dislike towards Richard Dawkins, we can respect that he is entirely correct on this.

I'll address the evolution thing mostly because I feel that it isn't repeated enough.

Evolution is taught in schools because there is evidence behind evolution.  A whole lot of it.  Fossil records, intermediate species, vestigial organs in our own bodies, and so on.  Creationism, I'm afraid, has no such evidence behind it.  It has a book written more than two thousand years ago by unknown authors who make numerous outlandish claims.  Thus, many teachers have no real choice in what they have to teach in public schools.  You can't teach what there is no evidence for. I suppose if you repeat a lie enough times, it eventually does become a truth, doesn't it?

Arguments like 'irreducible complexity' are pointless, as well.  The flagella that many creationists like to point out as being irreducible may have served a different purpose before it became a mode of locomotion for bacteria.  In fact, there are many similar structures, minus the tail, in many single-celled organisms, such as the Type III secretion system and cytoskeleton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_III_secretion_system, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytoskeleton).  Another common example is the eye, which you can find simpler versions in, say, an insect or crab, which shows that it can be reduced in complexity.

I am all for the Pope being held accountable for his crimes.  And these are crimes.  Not only are these pedophile priests getting away with it, they're given the opportunity to be exposed to, and rape, more children.  He may not be raping children himself, but he is aiding those who are, which makes him, in many ways, more guilty than the original perpetrator.

Although, it is the nature of religion to dismiss that which does not agree with your beliefs, so I have no illusion that you'll even remotely start to see the reality of how the world works.
Nothing to see here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure CJ was saying that, sure, the YEC kids might be wrong, but they shouldn't be insulted and browbeaten. That's not the modern way.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pathos

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure CJ was saying that, sure, the YEC kids might be wrong, but they shouldn't be insulted and browbeaten. That's not the modern way.

Nah, I think he was just having a flip out because he's a Creationist, and people don't "respect his beliefs" enough for him.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2010, 08:41:05 pm »

Well, this has spiraled out of control.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee*BSSSKT*eeeeeeee

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:38 pm »

We were doing so well, too. We didn't spin out of control with false Godwin accusations when Nazis were brought up in a relevant context, even!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ1_aQz6IuU

Was this video brought up yet?

Pathos

« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:02 pm »

Dear fucking god.

30,000 reported cases of abuse.

In regular sexual assault cases, between 6/10 and 9/10 go unreported ( impossible to be sure on the figure, but the most reliable sources INCLUDING THE PENTAGON suggest 9/10 ).

In family units with children, unreported cases are MUCH higher, due to the various factors that I really don't feel like going into detail about. ( Parental power, ease of threats on children etc etc. )

Now, apply that to a child who has, from birth, been indoctrinated into a faith. A child who has been, for all intents and purposes, told that the priest can't be a bad man, because he's a servant of god. A child who could easily be coerced by a priest in the same way as his parents, but MUCH MORE POWERFULLY. The number of unreported cases would be disgustingly high. Try and remember the parents themselves may not want to mention the abuse if they find out about it.

So, basically, the number of cases being reported would be tiny, at the least.

I think, people, this constitutes a crime against humanity.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:21:10 am by Pathos »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2010, 12:19:26 am »

We were doing so well, too. We didn't spin out of control with false Godwin accusations when Nazis were brought up in a relevant context, even!

The Catholic Church is bad because it has a formal organizational structure and so did the Nazis!

Dear fucking god.

30,000 reported cases of abuse.

In regular sexual assault cases, between 6/10 and 9/10 go unreported ( impossible to be sure on the figure, but the most reliable sources INCLUDING THE PENTAGON suggest 9/10 ).

In family units with children, unreported cases are MUCH higher, due to the various factors that I really don't feel like going into detail about. ( Parental power, ease of threats on children etc etc. )

Now, apply that to a child who has, from birth, been indoctrinated into a faith. A child who has been, for all intents and purposes, told that the priest can't be a bad man, because he's a servant of god. A child who could easily be coerced by a priest in the same way as his parents, but MUCH MORE POWERFULLY. The number of unreported cases would be disgustingly high. Try and remember the parents themselves may not want to mention the abuse if they find out about it.

So, basically, the number of cases being reported would be tiny, at the least.

I think, people, this constitutes a war crime.

No, see, a war crime requires war. This is just a "regular" (but for the scale and nastiness) crime.

Also, you're acting like the Pope hosts weekly seminars telling seminarians how to get children alone.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pathos

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2010, 12:21:15 am »

No, see, a war crime requires war. This is just a "regular" (but for the scale and nastiness) crime.

Also, you're acting like the Pope hosts weekly seminars telling seminarians how to get children alone.

It's a war against non-paedo...

Ah forget it. It's about six in the morning and I'm too tired to pretend that wasn't just a mistake on my sleepy part. Editting it to read "crime against humanity."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:06 am »

But you can't say GRR WHOLE CHURCH IS EVUL.

That's as wrong as saying GRR ALL DWARVES ARE STUPID
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Pathos

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2010, 12:58:30 am »

But you can't say GRR WHOLE CHURCH IS EVUL.

That's as wrong as saying GRR ALL DWARVES ARE STUPID

ie. completely correct? o.O

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2010, 01:03:27 am »

Yeah, I shouldn't have used that to compare.

Something like GRR ALL OF BAY12 ARE BOOZEDRINKING SMELLY MEN WHO LIVE WITH THEIR MOTHERS IN THEIR BASEMENTS would be better.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Pathos

« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2010, 01:07:58 am »

Yeah, I shouldn't have used that to compare.

Something like GRR ALL OF BAY12 ARE BOOZEDRINKING SMELLY MEN WHO LIVE WITH THEIR MOTHERS IN THEIR BASEMENTS would be better.

That's pretty specific. I think 3/5 of those would qualify 99% of B12G.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15