Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse  (Read 30609 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:44 am »

Last time we did that, we got free forgiveness for all our wrongdoings. This time, perhaps free cake.

I am now in support of this.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2010, 07:44:11 am »

Another top member of the Vatican links homosexuality to paedophilia!  Yay!

...Do you ever think they've considered that if they stopped being complete bastards it'd do far more good for their reputation than covering up sex scandals?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2010, 07:46:37 am »

Wasn't there a study that many pedophiles are, in fact, straight? Linking homosexuality to pedophilia is about the same thing as linking the crime rate to a person's height.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:05 am »

Well, you see, if they can convince everyone that the problem is not that priests are molesting children, but that The Gay is spreading out of control, then in the confines of their flock, they've got nothing to lose.

Of course, maybe it's because they don't see a problem with a priest molesting a 12 year old girl at all. The Age of Consent in Vatican city is 12. But of course, the Gay is an entirely separate issue.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:41:03 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:05 am »

Yeah, but this is the kind of thing that puts off progressive members of the Catholic Church.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:36 am »

Actually if you think about it within the catholic church homosexuality could lead to paedophilia. Think about it as a homosexual priest you have access to a large number of straight men whom you know, who would likely get you kicked out of the church if you ever tried anything, a large number of unknown gay men you could meet by various means who if you were ever caught with would be as bad as option 1 or a large number of underage males who you can easily dominate force to be silent whose word is considered worth far less than yours by the church and often the rest of society. Now add years of sexual frustration and the young boys really do seem the logical way to go.

And as a disclaimer no I don't think that all gay men are paedophiles or that being gay always leads to paedophilia just that in certain circumstances such as those present in the catholic church this may be the case.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12:10 pm »

I would argue that sexuality is an important part of being human, and suppressing it in any manner would lead to neurosis. I'm not sure if sublimation is a substitute for it. Also, apparently there's a minority of people with relatively apathetic sexuality, so I may be completely wrong. I wonder if there's been a study on if people with low libido have more of a chance of acquiring neurosis.

--Implying by suppressing your sexuality, priests would have odd sexual tics almost by definition.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »

again, I feel compelled to point out that those lines of reasoning are speculation, not fact.

Besides, IMHO it's a lame attempt at an excuse, just like the regular rape version :"Oh, rapists rape because they don't get enough regular sex".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2010, 01:17:13 pm »

They're required never to touch men or small children, too.

They are attracted to it because they are deeply moved by their faith and have decided to dedicate their life to what they see as their Deity.
First off I mentioned earlier the poll that found large numbers of priests have illicit relationships with women too; I'm assuming the pedophile scandal is the result of that same inability to resist one's own sexual urges manifesting in the priests who happen to be pedophiles

In fact, your post is incredibly offensive to both Catholics and Homosexuals. You're making an implication that homosexuality and pedophilia are somehow correlated.

No I'm not because I don't know of any evidence that that's true

Some other guy actually said it better even before my post. A disproportionate number of pedophiles are probably attracted to the priesthood (another possible reason: they're ashamed of that urge and so they try to put themself in a place where they think it will be easier to repress...who knows) but that doesn't mean the majority of priests aren't pedophiles or good guys in general
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:49 pm »

Not knowing for certain that something is true before you say it doesn't make it less offensive, actually.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »

Not knowing for certain that something is true before you say it doesn't make it less offensive, actually.
So its always better to make sure that the 'facts' are true before you go and say it.  Well, not really, they'll still be offended by the 'fact', true or not.

*LawGuy attacks Pedo-Priest with Anti-Pedo Law Book Smash!
*Pedo-Priest Casts Holy Protection!
*Anti-Pedo Law Book Smash has been reflected back to LawGuy by Holy Protection!
*LawGuy has been defeated!
*Media casts Sensational News Investigation on Pedo-Priest!
*Pedo-Priest is immobilized!
*JudgeGuy attacks Pedo-Priest with Artifact Gavel, Hammer of Justice!
*Pope has joined the battle!
*Pope intercepts JudgeGuy's attack with Divine Intervention!
*JudgeGuy's Artifact Gavel, Hammer of Justice has broken!
*JudgeGuy has retreated!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:21 pm »

Ah, sorry I meant that as a question, not a fact. Anyone have a study on sex-depraved individuals?

(yourself doesn't count)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2010, 06:19:22 pm »

you're right, I forgot about our space marine anti-pedophile squad
That would be a hilarious use of your tax dollars.
Not to interrupt this thread, but I found a new sig.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:12 pm »

I didn't say it you just misinterpreted something I said and started calling me a bigot
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »

you're right, I forgot about our space marine anti-pedophile squad
That would be a hilarious use of your tax dollars.
Not to interrupt this thread, but I found a new sig.
Can't see it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15