Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fortress  (Read 2702 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fortress
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:02 am »

Currently in progress; will be working more on the first version sometime tonight after classes, hopefully release within 24 hours.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a hell of a game.  Back in the day, I used to mod it a fair bit.  Well, recently, my friend (Who I met while modding it, no less) has gotten me back into it, and to show my appreciation, I figure I'll try my hand at making a full conversion of Dwarf Fortress.

For those who don't know, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. takes place in the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Exclusion Zone, after a second disaster happens, warping reality.  The place is full of mutants and various factions constantly fighting for the rich artifacts, items that are created from the bent reality of the anomalies.

This mod seeks to take as many of those ideas as possible and run with them.  If I can get it that far, I'll have something similar to anomalies as well.

Planned Features:
Advanced ammo creation (80% - I need to find a good balance for damage, and make sure everything produces, but so far it does generally work)
   -Make gunpowder, bullet casings, bullet slugs, and then the actual bullets

Advanced weapon creation (40% - all the weapons are in, but I need to test to make sure all use their appropriate ammo, and that all produce properly)
   -Make the frame, slide, barrel, magazine, and hammer of that pistol, or the body, stock, two barrels and two hammers for that double-barreled shotgun

Advanced armor creation (40% as well - same status as the guns; need to further test that armor can be produced and especially improved properly)
   -Produce kevlar and other parts to make armor, use metal plates to improve pre-existing armors

Custom workshops for gun, ammo, and armor production (50% - I need to test everything, but so far, most bullets and bullet parts produce properly, as does gunpowder, which will still appear as a boulder for the moment)
   -Each of the items has their own workshop.

Authentic items (See above.  As well, any additional items will be something you could expect to find in such a place - for instance, warhammers turned into civilian clawhammers, maces into wrecking bars, so forth)
   -Nearly every item taken directly from the games

Authentic mutants (20% - I've got blanks inserted, need to refine them, test them, add custom effects to things like Controllers and Burers)
   -Beware the deep, for there are vile mutants down there.  Be careful on the surface as well, for you never know what will come for you.

Authentic factions (30% - I've got the blanks in, need to distribute items, attempt to make sure that Duty and Freedom tend to end up at war, balance out the three enemy factions, so forth)
   -Meet The Ecologists, Duty, and Freedom.  Stave off the Military, Bandits, and Monolith.

Overall, this is a bit of an ambitious project, but it's coming together.  At the moment, the absolute hardest problems are balancing the bullets - mostly due to the wonky combat system, they don't pierce armor often, but they do cause massive bleeding when they hit skin, almost always resulting in death; and getting the advanced production working 100% properly.  Most of my testing will be on those two things.

Due to the large number of guns and armor in the series, I may consolidate somewhat, although I generally don't like to.  As well, at the moment, gunpowder production uses coal or other fuels, and production parts, such as casings, bullet slugs, and gun parts all use any metal which will transmute into the desired metal (Brass, lead, and steel, in that order).  This is because brass still has relatively rare materials for the amount of ammo that will likely be flying.  If I can get penetration fixed, or if Toady does that for one of the upcoming patches, then I will input authentic material requirements.  Just the same, I'll also put in Normal, Hollowpoint, and FMJ/AP ammos if I can get them different enough.  Shotguns will already accept either buckshot (For a wider hole but less penetration), or slugs (For a smaller hole with much more power).

I'll keep the thread apprised of progress that I make on the development.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:47:13 am by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:08 am »

This seems like your tests will make my Fallout total conversion for 0.31.* easier, great :). I will need gun creation and I am a bit worried about bullet properties vs velocity and shooting force balance, probably bullets would require a specific material for armor piercing capabilities; and your tests will be very interesting to me.

Anyway, because you've already made a thread, it would be a cool idea to upload the dev. version for others to test, find bugs and give suggestions. I will try to help as much as I can.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:06:53 pm »

I would, but I'd like to clear some of the Vanilla stuff first, but I don't have time for that since I gotta leave in a few minutes.

And before you have to ask, of course you can use anything from this for Fallout mod, you know I love it :P

Oh Armok, the spice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:08:18 pm »

I can't use someone's work directly because I always want to add something, but it may end as a great collaborative project :). And I like the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too, and I've read the book and watched the movie.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:32 pm »

The only thing I didn't like about the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R was that they didn't dub all the voices over into English.

So if I was just passing by and happened to hear someone talking, I couldn't understand them!
I did not, however, know there was a book.  I shall go look for an English translation!

Hm~
I'mma have to try both of these mods.
You guys have talked me into it.  ;D

-scurries off-
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:24 pm »

Wow it just had a great idea... Add anomalies to DF mmmm.... That would be so awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:46 pm »

The book is quite different from the game. But it's made by Brothers Strugatsky, and they are one of the best russian Sci-Fi writers :). You should enjoy it. The book is called Roadside Picnic and it's about weird "zones" with stuff, it has a lot of philosophy and interesting thoughts, and in fact it looks like
so it has nothing to do with Chernobyl.

P.S. I've found the wiki article about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

Wow, 1972... Some stuff never gets old.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:25:14 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »

But it was so short... Shame that nothing similar is being made anywhere that setting could be used very nicely in DF (due to insane deaths, mutilations, etc... ) but to do properly it would need the same amount of time Toady gives and a different engine. Or DF ver 1. :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »

Do you remember how you made those resurrecting/magma spewing/healing runes? Now tell me, could you try to give similar effects to creatures? So we could have VERMIN anomalies teleporting around? And cats.... Anti-anomaly critters, the only ones being able to save dwarves' day... Or pretending to be like that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

Yeah... Possible, even without my haxing craxing (e.g. using DFhack) only problem than algorithm complexity is O(number of items) (best case O(number of vermits)) + MapReading/Editing(for magma)+ creature vector (for healing ressurection) +...etc and in the end it works veryyy slowly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for this mod: I am going to play this. (Especially with new DF raws system :) ) This has a lot of potential and STALKER was really great game.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:26 pm »

Alright, I'm home.  I'm beginning that finalization that I said earlier, and I also want to get Entities ready for the different Factions first, then do a couple quick tests to make sure it all works.  I'd say a few hours max, since I also need to eat and such.

For the time being, I'd recommend mostly Arena or Adventure mode.  Loner will be the faction that we play during Dwarf mode, but because of how I'm setting up equipment (Making it from components), Loners will be disallowed for Adventure mode, at least as playable.  Play Now! will probably be Loner, then the rest let you pick from the real factions.

EDIT: Might be a little bit longer, I want some R&R after class.  I've got all of tonight and all of tomorrow off, so a test release will be out sometime in that timeframe.  About every hour I spend a bit testing and retesting stuff.  Right now, I've got bullets sliding off of leather armor, so, we're getting somewhere with understanding it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:08:44 pm by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »

Update, I've been working more on testing the armor and ammo.  Right now, lead ammo bounces off of silk copies of the armor, while iron pierces right through like nothing.  I'll be messing with that a bit more.

EDIT: Alright, the ammo now almost always pierces quite nicely through silk.  Testing on metal now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:49:30 pm by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:22:20 pm »

This has to be the best mod idea ive heard in a long time. Hopefully you are able to figure out a way to have these work properly, and i advise you use some ideas from the story. The artifacts were way cooler in there.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »

If only you could make the worldgen generate multi-floored building rubble. Adventure Mode would be so tits. Or better yet, colonizing a city's ruins and re-building it.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:08:42 pm »

Well, there are ruins in the normal game when a Human city is razed, and since every civ will be human (A couple might use Mountainhomes, but I don't believe any will have Forest Retreats nor Dark Fortresses, or at most one Dark Fortress user), they should fairly often have ruins you can use.  It won't be much, but it's something at least.

Progress report: I'm trying to figure out how best to make Kevlar.  I want to get armor in between Silk (Bullets always punch through), and Iron mail (Bullets only bruise, sometimes as deep as the guts but never more than cause sickness).  I'll have to run more tests with more varied kinds of metal, and might end up stealing the stats for that for a [DEEP] tagged metal Kevlar, produced in armorsmiths (This is what I did with bullets - lead bullets will literally bounce off of silk armor, so I made a [DEEP] lead metal that directly takes it's stats from iron.)  At least, a skilled gunner can still kill, because it seems the higher their skill is in shooting, the more and more likely they are to aim for any exposed skin in DF2010.  I get alot of headshots, hand, foot, etc when testing it.  Which is great, because it let's me see how high the penetration really is.  I've got 9x18 bullets able to shatter the skull without necessarily killing immediately, for instance - although they can and do still go past the skull at times.  Every other bullet is built up from there.

Another problem that presents itself, however, is that non-Loners will have strange equipment.  Bronze AK-74s, bronze 5.45x39mm rifle rounds, rope reed PSZ-9d Duty suit.... I suppose the best way to fix that, technically, would be to mess around with MATERIAL_PLACEHOLDER more.  I've got almost every armor using it, I imagine I could do the same with the weapons, components, ammo, etc.  But then we have the problem of supposedly advanced armors being ripped to shreds by 9x18 rounds... hmmm.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:17:07 pm by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: [1] 2