Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specify "work-until-you-drop" tasks  (Read 605 times)

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specify "work-until-you-drop" tasks
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:20 am »

The way it's currently implemented, dwarves will work at tasks until they're starving, dehydrated and practically falling asleep on the job. While that's awesome for getting those floodgates build to stop the oncoming magma rush, I'd prefer that my stonecrafter wasn't killing himself at work (from exhaustion) making those cyanide mugs to trade to the elves.

I'd propose that under the p:Prf menu of every dwarf there would be a true/false toggle for whether or not Urist should attempt to resist his urges to tend to his bodily needs in order to get the job done.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specify "work-until-you-drop" tasks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:23 am »

An on/off toggle would just switch between two broken options.

If work is critical, such as building walls around your hovel to protect from invaders, haulers should bring food and drink to the workers who then eat on-site. Having to eat hastily might cause an unhappy thought in addition to the one missed by not using the dining room.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »

I'd like the current system, with addition that when the dwarf doing the work gets hungry/thirsty/sleepy, the system will start to look for another dwarf to do that job. If one is found, this dwarf will head over to the location of the task (likely workshop, but maybe even mining) while the first dwarf is still working. When he gets there, they swap, either in mid task, or after that single task is done. The thirsty/hungry/sleepy dwarf can go, and the newcomer will keep working. There won't be breaks, and the single worker won't stress himself to death before leaving. This way you could have workshops work better around the clock.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:01 pm »

I'd like the current system, with addition that when the dwarf doing the work gets hungry/thirsty/sleepy, the system will start to look for another dwarf to do that job. If one is found, this dwarf will head over to the location of the task (likely workshop, but maybe even mining) while the first dwarf is still working. When he gets there, they swap, either in mid task, or after that single task is done. The thirsty/hungry/sleepy dwarf can go, and the newcomer will keep working. There won't be breaks, and the single worker won't stress himself to death before leaving. This way you could have workshops work better around the clock.

Wow... what a good idea... Logical.. Sensible.. Sane..

Hmm... Doesn't fit with how the dwarves act at all though....
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:45:48 am »

Downside is, given my limited knowledge of the way tasks are handled, it is hard to say how difficult this would be to code.
But I think it would be handy.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:36 am »

I've made a suggestion that tries to address the same issue, it can be found here.

Basically, i think there should be a setting that would allow the player to choose if the dwarfs will work until they're thirsty/exhausted/hungry (or worse) or feel free to go for a drink as soon as they'd like. Of course, dwarf personality and similar factors may affect their behavior concerning this, as it already does.