Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nice dorms vs. meager bedrooms  (Read 6646 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nice dorms vs. meager bedrooms
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:19:21 am »

It's all about ΘπÆ┼

That little 1x4 bedroom is all my non-noble dwarves get.  It works well because dwarves will get the "admired own <quality> <item>" happy thought. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:35 am »

I make a block of beds, right next to each other.  If dorfs get married, I give them a bedroom as a wedding present.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »

I always try to give my dwarven commoners their own bedroom, 3x1, smoothed floors and walls, bed and door. Maybe even a coffer and cabinet later on.

This has a low priority though. In the early game, I usually just have my dwarves sleep in corridors where I set up some random beds, or in the barracks or the hospital. The latter must be a delightful experience.

Nobles get fancy 2x3 bedrooms, of course.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »

I use 3x2 for middle class, because in fullscreen it looks nice and square. I also use 3x3 for upperclass and 1x3 for lower class. I haven't built a dorm yet though, My door production usually matches my bed production for some reason.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 02:11:45 pm »

After the initial phase, where my dwarves sleep on beds in one of my hallways I buikld a dormitory.
(aside  from my nobles (Leader/Manager/Broker, Chief Doctor, Recordkeeper) who get their offices  and next to it rooms early on).
Individual rooms (all with  a bin, bed and  container, but varying in size and quality) get built after maybe 2-3 years, they´re very low on my ToDo list, other stuff IMHO is more important
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:13:42 pm by Proteus »

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

I tend to make large complexes of 2x2s, with 3x3s for anyone that requires a desk for their job [Bookkeeper, Arsenaleer, and I like to think the Architect spends his free time drawing up building schematics], and 5x5 for any other appointed noble that requires a little more.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »

Early game my first 7 get beds in the entrance as there rooms (you know a 1x1 bedroom, aka just the bed) the migrants then get dorms that I name cause it seems fun to do.

I wish you could actually assign dwarves to specific dorms though, the closest I guess is lots of mini-burrows that inter-link somehow.

Though I don't get what other uses a dorm has, since dwarves will sleep in any free bed,  unless it is something with the new military/burrows at this point.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 02:30:40 pm »

Hm. Ok, I usually use graphics, so...
second symbol is chair, or?
and fourth?
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:53 pm »

Hm. Ok, I usually use graphics, so...
second symbol is chair, or?
and fourth?
It has nothing to do with the graphics, or I would have gotten it by now. No, this is the communquist way of warfare, but we are amuri-cans. we can fight.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »

I built a dormitory to house new arrivals until I can make bedrooms, but it doesn't matter because they never sleep there. They all sleep in the barracks or the hospital beds. Which leaves no room for the soldiers or wounded. Maybe I just have a fort full of jerks.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »

I refuse to build rooms smaller than 3x3, the little buggers deserve a little space damn it!

I'll have to try building a really expensive dormitory one of these days, though. And then make all the unmarried female dwarves to sleep there  ;D
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 04:30:18 pm »

I make a People's Housing Stockpile of the People.  One big room with all the beds and fill it with statues until the smooth/engrave starts to catch up.  Infinity royal bedrooms for the micromanagement of one. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

I refuse to build rooms smaller than 3x3, the little buggers deserve a little space damn it!

I'll have to try building a really expensive dormitory one of these days, though. And then make all the unmarried female dwarves to sleep there  ;D

Panty raid time.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 05:31:55 pm »

I find that engraved 5x10 rooms work pretty well in my current fortress, so if you have the worforce to spare, why not just go with that?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »

I'm actually thinking that they might not care about the quality of dorms, like they do with dining rooms.  I never saw any indication of the barracks residents enjoying their 'room' before and don't see any indication of it being different with dorms so far.

Anyway, I like to give my guys 2x2 rooms as a minimum.  Though I also like to give them the extra amenity of a window(fortification or green glass) if I have a cliff face handy.  As for the economy, there's lower class unsmoothed 2x2 rooms with crap quality furniture, mid quality smoothed 2x2 rooms furnished with whatever happened to be the first thing on the list, and then the high quality rooms. 3x3 or 4x4 rooms with the best stuff I have on-hand during construction. Those are usually manually assigned to legendaries, with leftovers available to the general public.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3