Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using 800 x 600 screen with Graphics mode? Can it be done?  (Read 1145 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Using 800 x 600 screen with Graphics mode? Can it be done?
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:04:53 am »

Seems most people have "widescreen" computers with 1280 x 800 resolution, leaving those of us with the older 800 x 600 monitors forced to modify.

The battle continues!

Anyway, last version I was pretty successful on converting 1280 x 800 to 800 x 600.  But it seems I'm only getting corrupted graphics with this version.  Anyone have some suggestions?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Using 800 x 600 screen with Graphics mode? Can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:38 am »

Check the genesis thread, I've answered you.

Just use GRAPHICS_BLACKSPACE:YES, because you cannot properly divide 600 by 16.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Using 800 x 600 screen with Graphics mode? Can it be done?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:13:26 am »

Thanks, I fixed the init so it now works properly.  Now to briefly explain the problem and solution, then lock this thread.

The problem is that the "init.txt" file included with the download explicitly states that the minimum "x" is 80.  THIS IS A LIE!

The solution is to use "50" for the x axis.  The "minimum" of 80 is just too big for the game to cope.

I used 37 for the y axis (or "y" for short"), but the difference isn't quite as extreme, and this exceeds the "minimum" of 25, so it probably will not be an issue.

I hope this helps anyone else with a fullscreen computer who forgets to ignore arbitrary notes in the "init" file, lol.