Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seasonal freezing  (Read 2437 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal freezing
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »

Hi!

Since you seem to have been using designed world - have you changed anything about volcanism?
It is a far guess, but maybe you got central heating from below.

Deathworks

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »

That, and you can make things out of ice. Construct walls or floors out of chunks of ice, and so long as you finish your construction while its still frozen, the constructed walls/floors will never melt.

This is not always true.  My current fortress has a brook that freezes in winter.  In the second year, I decided to harvest the entire underside of the river and use it to construct a floor on the surface over my "surface" farm (i.e. a large area that I channeled so it treats it as light above ground and will grow surface plants).  Unfortunately, as my dwarves began to carry the ice back inside, I started getting spam of "Urist McHauler cancels dump item:  Item misplaced or destroyed".  Turns out my ice was melting as I hauled it back inside.  Had the same thing happen while trying to build with it closer to the source, although in some cases it melted while they were using it for construction.

On the Fun side:  Be careful digging into the source of a frozen river/brook in winter.  I happened to settle at the head of a brook, so I actually have several tiles labeled as "River Source" when they aren't frozen.  When they're frozen, I can't identify them.  When you mine them out while frozen, water returns *almost* instantly and refreezes when it does.

Unfortunately, it is only almost instantly.  If you have a miner who's a little too quick on his feet, he can actually enter the river source tile before the water refills and freezes.  I lost 2 legendary miners to being frozen in a block of ice, back to back, because they were mining side by side and happened to both clear river source tiles AND run into them.  Never seen freezing to death in a block of ice message before that  :-X

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »

Yup, if they're just carrying around the ice it can and will melt.

If you can get it to last long enough to finish constructing it into a wall/floor/stairs/ramp/fortification, any sort of [c]onstructed structure, it becomes immune to all attacks and temperature.

So if you're carrying the ice chunks from the cold outside to inside the fort it will melt pretty quickly. If you use the ice chunks to build some of the external structures, like an above ground ice castle that will last through summer, then you're good to go.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 01:55:12 pm »

Yup, if they're just carrying around the ice it can and will melt.

If you can get it to last long enough to finish constructing it into a wall/floor/stairs/ramp/fortification, any sort of [c]onstructed structure, it becomes immune to all attacks and temperature.

So if you're carrying the ice chunks from the cold outside to inside the fort it will melt pretty quickly. If you use the ice chunks to build some of the external structures, like an above ground ice castle that will last through summer, then you're good to go.

Yeah, I was considering digging to the surface and having my dwarves haul the ice to the entrance overland, but that exposes them.  I have no military, and would rather not have to march my guys around outside.  I might try it anyway though; the idea of my dwarves ice skating above my farms in summer amuses me.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:38 pm »

I do change worldgen temperature ranges from 25-75 to 0-100, to get both freezing and scorching biomes in the same small world. But I've encountered the problem long before I started doing that. Gonna try a "Create now" world today, just to be sure.

I think the labels (Freezing, Scorching, etc.) are relative to the temperature range: I set my range to 40-60 and still get all 5 labels.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:58 pm »

My latest fort seems to have its river flash freeze for all of a day, then flash unfreeze again.

It's pretty weird, considering the biome is either warm or hot, I get rain in the winter, early spring, and late autumn, but the rest of the time it's dry as a desert (other than the river).

I was stunned when I saw it freeze, but a few seconds later it unfroze again. Was kinda jarring.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:55 am »

I dropped the worldgen max temperature by about 5-10 degrees.  I embarked in a cold biome bordering another cold biome, and everything is frozen for all of winter, plus about half of autumn and a couple weeks into spring. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 02:19:32 am »

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to get exactly the climate you want.

On the other hand,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:33 pm »

Holy crap. What kind of bizarre meteorological disturbance did you embark into?
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

I maxxed out the number of subregions in world gen, and it threw that together. Disappointingly, nothing happens when the seasons changed. I'd hoped there'd be some sort of cataclysm storm event.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »

Hi!

I maxxed out the number of subregions in world gen, and it threw that together. Disappointingly, nothing happens when the seasons changed. I'd hoped there'd be some sort of cataclysm storm event.

Well, maxing out subregion number is usually a good idea (I also always do it to avoid unnecessary rejects).

Mmmmhhhh, actually, I would have thought that this was caused by magma given that people are speculating about the deadly rain being caused by magma heating up the surface too much creating boiling rain. If that had been the case, your location might have been useful for fixing that bug...

Ah, well.

Since I forgot earlier (not intentionally):

Max White: I wonder why you think I would be a lawyer in a court room (^_^;;
But yeah, you shouldn't mind my name too much, it is just my name (and stance on humanity, but that's really, really OT here)

Deathworks (whose greatest interest weatherwise at the moment is to max out raining in his embarks to get rid of all the blood)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:45 pm »

well with any version I get places that freeze so rarely it's not even funny.  I'd almost forgotten the game could track SNOW let alone brooks/lakes could freeze.  Course, any time I do a random gen map the only places that are below Temperate (which never freeze for me with temp enabled) are glaciers where there's just nothing to mine :p
Demon of Darkness

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »

It should be easy enough to make a custom world with temperature range -150 to 50, maximum subregions and temperature variance 2000. That should make it easy enough to find a map with at least one square between freezing biome and temperate biome, which should have a seasonal thaw.

Edit: hmmm, seems to have been changed a bit in the new versions. -50 to 50 and temperature variance 500 set me up with cold/freezing/temperate/warm in a regular+1 embark area, though.
Pages: 1 [2]