Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Friendly yet creepy  (Read 13183 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly yet creepy
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2010, 05:19:50 pm »

Ok, just finished reading (or at least skimming) the whole forum, and I'm filled with rage and disappointment for humanity, and have a bunch of points to make.

First issue- full disclosure, I was that guy in high school, at least twice. Not quite *as* desperate, but close enough to have an idea what goes on in his head, and really, it's not that creepy. A *lot* of it is that underdogs want to justify their own self-worth, and the easiest way to do that is by feeling like they're the "good" guy. What you read as his creepy obsession, he probably reads as loyalty or being a romantic. Cause humans suck, nothing feels as "moral" to us as self-denial- pursuing something despite not expecting success, in this case.

You might ask why he doesn't consider the bother to you, but he doesn't understand that you're uncomfortable in this situation to- he thinks you could just flat-out tell him no, and he'd accept it. Sort of. More on that later.

Guys tend to be a lot more blunt about things- it's something I like about us, actually. When a girl says "I made it perfectly clear", she usually means something different than when I guy says it.

Also... this guy is clearly not socially adept. He probably doesn't like the position he's in, and doesn't feel a lot of hope- so he'll cling to any he has. If you leave any hole in your denial of him, hope will get through that like pressurized gas out of a not-quite-sealed container.

Rebuttals to a few bits of what I'd call truly awful advice.

Don't disappear for a while. He'll worry like hell that it's because of him, but he won't know, and as soon as you talk again he'll forget it, and maybe even think things have changed over the interim. He might be almost to the point of giving up and moving on out of self respect, then forget all that while you're gone.

Do *not* take any of the half-serious advice about claiming you aren't a sexual person. It'll feed *straight* into the whole good-guy thing. He'll be thinking "Most guys are obsessed with sex, and that's bad, right? So by still being attracted to her when there's no hope of that, I'm being good, and she'll see how genuine my affection is." This will be bullshit, but *he'll* believe it, or at least want to.

Don't be so hard on him. This guy isn't a sociopath, he's just confused- when guys get upset, we sort of break down- I think girls do, too. If we're jealous, we're more petty. If we're desperate, we're less aware, and we have less self respect. That's what's happening to him.

"He should take a hint, and if he doesn't, it's on him"- can't remember who said it, but yeah, BS. Sure, maybe it's his fault for not understanding what's going on; maybe if he were less self-centered, he wouldn't be in this confused place to begin with. But we should be aware of whether we're trying to find a good solution to a difficult situation, or whether we're trying to dole out Justice here- and unless you think his lack of maturity is such a crime on his part that it warrants the difficulty he's going through, just make it easier on him and close off all hope. Let him get on with his life.

So, that's that about that. As for the masturbation thing...

I got over the notion that things can be "wrong" for reasons other than having "wrong" consequences. No one is hurt by a guy fantasizing about a female friend- it doesn't make her life worse, it doesn't violate anything of hers, and, given guy's general lack of complexity or pretense about sex, it probably doesn't even change his view of the girl. Morality has no place in it- the only question is whether or not the guy is comfortable with such, and that doesn't really reflect on him as a person one way or another.

What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2010, 10:25:11 pm »

Pathos, I literally half-spat out/half choked on my tea when I read that. I really didn't see that coming and frankly preferred my life before I had. ;_;
I'm going to try and put the thought out of mind. Like, really really hard.

You play dwarf fortress... Where capturing mermaids and forcing them to breed only to have their babies taken away and butchered to make earrings from their bones is perfectly acceptable behavior and encouraged amongst the fanbase...

AND THAT BOTHERED YOU?  You're a dwarf, now start acting like one, laddeh!  So, use magma on Pathos, I guess...  Hmm... I think I got a bit muddled there.

More seriously, since this guy gave you trouble getting rid of him, you need to seriously consider your defenses against ending up in an abusive relationship/domestic violence.

What? This guy sounds like the opposite of the type of person who'd end up abusive.

What the hell? In person hurts *way* worse, pretty much always. Some things are serious enough they need to be handled face-to-face, but if you don't actually have a grudge against this guy, give him the privilege of hiding how hurt he is behind an IM.
Whatever floats your boat, but most people would be much more insulted to be told something major over the internet or phone. There's a reason why breaking up not in person is considered a dick move. Then again, in this case I don't think the girl really needs to feel any responsibility to be nice to the guy since he's creepy as shit and she'd be totally within her rights to avoid him at all costs
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »

What the hell? In person hurts *way* worse, pretty much always. Some things are serious enough they need to be handled face-to-face, but if you don't actually have a grudge against this guy, give him the privilege of hiding how hurt he is behind an IM.
Whatever floats your boat, but most people would be much more insulted to be told something major over the internet or phone. There's a reason why breaking up not in person is considered a dick move. Then again, in this case I don't think the girl really needs to feel any responsibility to be nice to the guy since he's creepy as shit and she'd be totally within her rights to avoid him at all costs

Yeah, if you're breaking off a major relationship, that's one thing. But she's not; in this case, shame and  humiliation are probably going to be his biggest things, cause they *aren't* together... and this way, whatever emotions he feels he can hide by being alone, or with people he trusts, which makes it *much* less painful than letting the person you're trying to impress see how hurt you are.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »

I've been told no through texting, and in person. The in person way, hurts much worse-I'll just throw this in there, pretty much what FreakyCheeseMan is saying.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2010, 11:16:03 pm »

More seriously, since this guy gave you trouble getting rid of him, you need to seriously consider your defenses against ending up in an abusive relationship/domestic violence.

What? This guy sounds like the opposite of the type of person who'd end up abusive.

Depends on how much of it was purposeful or even just instinctual emotional manipulation of her perceived weakness.

Mostly it was more about what her weakness in dealing with him says about her ability to deal with ...worse...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:21 pm »

Depends on how much of it was purposeful or even just instinctual emotional manipulation of her perceived weakness.

Mostly it was more about what her weakness in dealing with him says about her ability to deal with ...worse...

Gotta say, I don't get the abusive vibe from this guy. I think he's less manipulative, more... unthinking.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »

Gotta say, I don't get the abusive vibe from this guy. I think he's less manipulative, more... unthinking.

Eh, just reminded me vaguely of the socially awkward ass my current girl used to see.

He probably is completely ignorant and blameless of being anything other than annoying and socially awkward.  Her ability to deal with him was mostly what piqued my concern.

Pathos

« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2010, 01:11:59 am »

<snip>

I think most of us were "that guy". But, here's the thing: Having to deal with horrible, horrible rejections is GENERALLY the thing that changes us. Giving him a comfort blanket of any kind makes him think he's doing it right, she's just not the one he can do it to. So, he'll carry on getting half-awkward rejections, convincing himself it's not HIS problem, it's their's.

Humans are animals, chap, we can't help our basic instincts that tell us a mate isn't fit because they're not confident. There's such a thing as killing someone with kindness, and I see girls do it far too much.

But Renault is clearly a heartless bitch, though. ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:36:13 am by Pathos »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:08 am »

<snip>

I think most of us were "that guy". But, here's the thing: Having to deal with horrible, horrible rejections is GENERALLY the thing that changes us. Giving him a comfort blanket of any kind makes him think he's doing it right, she's just not the one he can do it to. So, he'll carry on getting half-awkward rejections, convincing himself it's not HIS problem, it's their's.

Humans are animals, chap, we can't help our basic instincts that tell us a mate isn't fit because they're not confident. There's such a thing as killing someone with kindness, and I see girls do it far too much.

But Renault is clearly a heartless bitch, though. ;D

*blinks*
What part of the whole "Leave hole in your denial of him" sounded like I wanted her to be gentle about the rejection?

When I said don't be so hard on him, I just meant in her judgement... in her actions, she needs to be rough and firm.

Well.

Ok, actually I believe that "tough love" is almost always bullshit, and that there's some gentle honest out there that works a lot better. However, I'm not gifted enough to always find it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:16:17 am by FreakyCheeseMan »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:35 am »

That must be a young kid thing. Its pretty obvious what stance people have with you. If a girl is nervously talking and smiling, and obviously isn't having fun, she's waiting for the situation to go away. If men are giving one word responses and aren't looking at you, they don't care.

Maybe this sort of thing happens when people dwell on how they act with someone, instead of hanging out a lot.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2010, 04:28:12 pm »

Pathos, I literally half-spat out/half choked on my tea when I read that. I really didn't see that coming and frankly preferred my life before I had. ;_;

You play dwarf fortress... Where capturing mermaids and forcing them to breed only to have their babies taken away and butchered to make earrings from their bones is perfectly acceptable behavior and encouraged amongst the fanbase...

AND THAT BOTHERED YOU?  You're a dwarf, now start acting like one, laddeh!  So, use magma on Pathos, I guess...  Hmm... I think I got a bit muddled there.

I think what he meant, and tell me if I'm wrong Coidzure, is that if she had a hard time telling off a persistent yet gentle individual, don't you think it would be harder for her to say goodbye to someone abusive and manipulative?

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2010, 05:13:40 pm »

I think what he meant, and tell me if I'm wrong Coidzure, is that if she had a hard time telling off a persistent yet gentle individual, don't you think it would be harder for her to say goodbye to someone abusive and manipulative?

Yes, that definitely was part of my concern.  There was something else that I'm forgetting, but this was a big part.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »

I don't really think that's true. Women are inclined to be nice to someone who's harmless, but the situation could be very different if the person were harmFUL.

Assuming, of course, that for every woman who stays in an abusive relationship, there is one who gets out of it early. I have no idea what the proportions are of course.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »

So I'm pretty much assuming this thread is over, just wanted to give a quick update and general conclusion.
He seems to have understood this time. I suppose I wasn't getting the message across clear enough before. He's still friendly, but in a more reserved, gentler way which I find quite nice. Thanks to everyone for their input, I suppose I wasn't going about it all too well.
Oh, as for the abusive relationship thing, I think thats different. I'm not spineless; I just wanted to let this guy down without hurting his feelings, or at least as little as possible. Assuming I ever end up with some jackass who'd qualify for worse, I think I could handle it. But thanks for the concern.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15