Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Friendly yet creepy  (Read 13266 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly yet creepy
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2010, 01:59:07 pm »

I think people will have a lot more success in getting people not to derail the topic with a certain discussion if they stop trying to get the last word on it.

Right now, it just looks like a bunch of people rushing in, sharing their opinion, and then trying to get people not to counter their points by cutting them off with a hypocritical "let's not derail thread, plz".
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2010, 02:16:04 pm »

This reminds me of something someone once said to me: "[Pathos], you wear chaos like a cape."

Saying a single line and seeing the discussion still going on in Warcraft trade chat two hours later. <3 Beautiful.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2010, 03:10:53 pm »

I think people will have a lot more success in getting people not to derail the topic with a certain discussion if they stop trying to get the last word on it.

Right now, it just looks like a bunch of people rushing in, sharing their opinion, and then trying to get people not to counter their points by cutting them off with a hypocritical "let's not derail thread, plz".
Hey, it's Bay12, discussion is meant to be Fun, right?

I'll leave a last anecdote, not meant to refute a viewpoint, but to provoke thought -- if you can call this topic thought provoking.

But men's sexual appetites are geared to be much more promiscuous and interested in having multiple partners then are women
Anecdote time: I know several studies have shown that. But I doubt their accuracy in predicting future trends. Half the women in my college were sluts who had sex with fifteen or more people. Monogamy seems to be a religious and parental instilled value, not gender.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »

Yeah, it's probably evening out, but on an instinctual level, a woman can only get pregnant once every nine months and a guy can go all Johnny Appleseed and spread his lineage all over the world (Just bring a bottle of water, you'll get dehydrated).  So it makes sense that men are geared instinctually towards making lots of babby.
Shoes...

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »

I think it probably depends on how sophisticated that person is, and his level of influence. Remember when Wilt Chamberlain bragged that he slept with 10,000 women? It isn't something a woman could or would do, so with certainty, there is an upper limit on the number of men a woman will sleep with. But that does not mean a woman is less intrigued with the notion... only less capable.

I feel a bit ill after imagining that...

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:06 pm »

I think it probably depends on how sophisticated that person is, and his level of influence. Remember when Wilt Chamberlain bragged that he slept with 10,000 women? It isn't something a woman could or would do, so with certainty, there is an upper limit on the number of men a woman will sleep with. But that does not mean a woman is less intrigued with the notion... only less capable.

I feel a bit ill after imagining that...
women are much more capable than men are, they have no refractory period. Mark Twain actually has an essay about that.
The great game of Warlocks!

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

In frequency. But that does not consider the social stigma with female whores, STDs, pregnancy, and 'damage.' Men only share one of these traits. Also, last I checked, there were not 10,000 men lining up to sleep with WNBA stars.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »

Straight from bash.org,
<Twig> I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy [does] a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl [does] just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a shitty lock. That shut her up.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010, 07:53:18 pm »

I'm sort of out of the conversation about locks and keys and what makes a slut and whether or not men are more, eh, ambitious, than women because frankly its nothing I have any knowledge about.
But hey, I made my try today. It went okay at first, then got really awkward. I was pretty forceful about it, for me at least, and he seemed to get it, but he sort of kept walking next to me in silence for a while, sort of staring ahead. It was several minutes and I didnt know what to say, so I just sort of...rolled with it. It was about as comfortable as you'd expect. Then he sort of nodded and grunted, and walked off.
I feel cautiously optimistic.
On the other hand, if my strangled corpse washes up in the bay anytime soon, I fully expect you punks to admit this was terrible advice. 

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »

He's guilting you, good resillience.

Cheers, hopefully that'll be that! Just remember if he keeps trying, you have plenty of foundation now!

Pathos

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »

He's guilting you, good resillience.

Cheers, hopefully that'll be that! Just remember if he keeps trying, you have plenty of foundation now!

This. He was probably expecting you to trip up and invite him out some time or something.

Also, if your body turns up in a morgue, I ADMIT TO NOTHING.

I'm sort of out of the conversation about locks and keys and what makes a slut and whether or not men are more, eh, ambitious, than women because frankly its nothing I have any knowledge about.

Basically, the dude wanted to unlock the gateway to Passion.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:49:26 pm by Pathos »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:56 pm »

Yeah, it's probably evening out, but on an instinctual level, a woman can only get pregnant once every nine months and a guy can go all Johnny Appleseed and spread his lineage all over the world (Just bring a bottle of water, you'll get dehydrated).  So it makes sense that men are geared instinctually towards making lots of babby.

Basically so - all the evidence is that natural selection has set men up to be far more interested in lots of sex with multiple partners than women, among other key differences.

To sort of relate it to the topic, one thing women look for in establishing a sexual relationship is commitment (after all, they know men have a proclivity to sleep around, so they want all the assurance they can get that the man really loves them enough to stick to them alone - that's probably why love evolved), but a lot of guys (consciously, or just as a result of instinct) seem to try and demonstrate this by coming on way too strong right off the bat. Obviously, this indicates to the woman (again, often unconsciously - it may just be that women instinctively find that unnattractive without there being any cognitive mechanism that goes through a reasoning process of why) that either the man is desperate or that he's prone to do the same thing to other women and forget her soon.

Tangentially, Juliet would have done well if she'd had more of that instinct about Romeo. Remember how at the beginning of the play, Romeo feels the exact same way about some other girl that he does about Juliet once he meets her? If she'd been a little more cautious, she could have saved having to kill herself!

In any case, I think that might offer a little insight into why the OP's creepy friend acts that way
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:18 pm »

Not everyone fantasizes about people they know or are attracted to.  I don't, it feels very violating.
+1
+1
+1

But anyway, men are simple and straightforward people. While we pursue careers and learn things, one thing is inescapable.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2010, 12:49:52 am »

Tangentially, Juliet would have done well if she'd had more of that instinct about Romeo. Remember how at the beginning of the play, Romeo feels the exact same way about some other girl that he does about Juliet once he meets her? If she'd been a little more cautious, she could have saved having to kill herself!

Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet!)

Other than this, I don't think you're qualified to make any of the wild assertions you've been positing across this forum. Are you a scientist of some sort? If we're using twists of logic here, women should technically be more willing to take many partners because they need to keep having sex to get pregnant. Also, there is no down-time for them, so they can be doing it all the time until it happens for them. Trying to theorize on this leads us in two directions.

Sexuality, at least modern sexuality, seems like something that should be studied using Sociology, and not Biology. At least, that's how it seems to me. Be honest, after all, how many Bay12ers here are actually actively on the prowl, picking up scores of chicks?

My own experience has been that my girlfriends have been more libidinous than me (though, that may be because I am such a studmuffin and I wield the rod of power that menaces with spikes of sexy). I somehow doubt that I just so happen to date every deviant in the world.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2010, 01:27:01 am »

11:19 PM. Calls my house to apologize for making me uncomfortable with and says he hopes we can stay friends. Says hes "really sorry" and "never meant to pressure me."
Then, when hanging up, added  "I really do care for you." Click.
So was that it, or is this just a new tactic?

Oh, and Im going to actually chime on the libido thing. The girls I'm friends with are for the most part just as lusty as the guys. That part is pretty true. They just seem less likely to act on that proclivity. I guess in this, like with most things, girls are just more subtle than guys. There are exceptions, though.
Not being a sociologist or biologist, though, I can only sort of shrug at those theories proposed here. They seem legit, but I doubt many people here have the training to verify them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15