Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mac User Support Group Thread  (Read 911 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mac User Support Group Thread
« on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:32 am »

You know you're out there. The people for whom, like me, the wait isn't over yet. When will it be? We don't know. But while out friends- once our equals- go onto play in the new underground and fight unkillable undead with untrainable dwarves, we stay behind. Behind, with our invincible champions, our magic healing beds, and our dragons that lose to goblins in fisticuffs.

Sure, we can read the bug reports and laugh, and post suggestions for how to improve features we know nothing about, and yes, maybe we can steal a few frenzied moments of playing on a school computer- damn year, cave beasts, for interrupting my vertical shaft to Clownland- but, in our hearts we know we've missed the boat. When our version comes out, the party will be over, the bugs will have been fixed, the wiki articles will have been written, dwarves will have stopped melting like the wicked witch of the west after every light shower, and surgeons will probably not be using your fortress's scant supply of adamantine to suture wounds on patients that will just die of infection anyway... um...

I forgot what I was complaining about.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mac User Support Group Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:33:39 am »

Hello fellow Mac user!  I've been playing the new version for over a week now, and so can you!  Simply harness the power of Unix hidden under OSX's shiny interface.
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
Or if you prefer a more polished, commercial version with a free trial, you can use CrossOver Games.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/
It's a little more work than having a native Mac version, and probably adds extra instability, but now you, too can watch your dwarves melt in the rain, wrestle immortal zombies, and be slaughtered by elk birds.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:29 am »

Hello fellow Mac user!  I've been playing the new version for over a week now, and so can you!  Simply harness the power of Unix hidden under OSX's shiny interface.
Or if you prefer a more polished, commercial version with a free trial, you can use CrossOver Games.
It's a little more work than having a native Mac version, and probably adds extra instability, but now you, too can watch your dwarves melt in the rain, wrestle immortal zombies, and be slaughtered by elk birds.

I love you, and want to have your... wait, elk birds?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:57:39 am »

I love you, and want to have your... wait, elk birds?
In my last fortress, I lost more of my military chasing elk birds than I did fighting a forgotten beast with poisonous blood.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:05:20 am »

Um... what's an elk bird?

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:35 am »

Oh right, you haven't played the new version yet.  Elk birds are a new animal related to one of the new 0.31.x features.  I figure they aren't really much of a spoiler, but:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »

In addition to WineBottler, use Baughn's accelerator to get better performance. It's worked perfectly for me so far.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51957.0
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »

Really?  I had just assumed that wouldn't work with Wine.  Trying now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:45:55 pm »

Although I am a windows user I find it odd watching people rediscover stuff like Wine over again, when in the past before Toady ever released a Mac compile it was a common thing, that even I as a windows user knew of.

Its like the fall of the roman empire and rediscovery of technology.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »

Many people (such as myself) began playing DF after the Mac version was released.  Until now, I had no reason to use Wine for DF, or even see if it worked.  Wine (or at least the Mac version) has improved significantly.  The last time I tried to use Wine for something I gave up because of the constant crashes, but it seems much more reliable now.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:41 pm »

Okay I tried Wine and it didn't seem to work. I right clicked on the file and clicked on open with Wine. It had a couple of pages then all I got was a little wine glass at the top right of my screen.

How the heck does it work?
Or a I being stupid and doing something wrong?

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:12:01 pm »

The little wine glass is the Wine menu, so Wine at least starts.  I don't think it would start if you didn't have X11 installed, so that isn't the problem.  It sounds like Wine is set up.  Have you tried launching DF again?  Is Wine updated to the latest version?  I did most of my messing around with Wine preferences a while ago, so I don't remember if I did anything special to make it work.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »

Hide all your other windows too. Sometimes the box asking to run in fullscreen appears behind your other windows, so it looks it's not open when it really is.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »

Ouch- finally got around to trying, learned that (as I somewhat suspected), all of these are for intel-only macs. I got mine just before the conversion.

Konpeito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:52 am »

I was about to post and ask for help, because I couldn't make DF work with Wine, and decided to give it one more go before I posted.

And lo, it worked.

Thank you, computer. :|