Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?  (Read 6697 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:09 am »

Its an improper way to address it. I haven't read Eragon, so I can't address it issues.

Then dont. One of the major cities in the book is Gilead (First used by the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, it is also mensioned by the Bible) and that the elves sing the wood into things they can use (Another series whose name I dont remember first used this). Paolini also graduated high school before he wrote the book. Its not really like Star Wars because of the dragons, thats why the Eragon is special.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Your post implies that the Dark Tower series predates the Bible.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:01 am »

((ImplyingImplycationImply))

I was talking about in popular fiction.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:18 am »

Now you're implying that the Bible isn't popular.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:01:02 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:35 am »

Im not implying anything,I was putting the Bible in a Religious Text, this isnt 4chan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:22 pm »

Either way, with your logical path the Dark Tower series must have gotten from name for Gilead must be from an older source.

How do you know that Eragon author didn't get it Edgar Allen Poe Poem, the Raven? How do you know he didn't get it from The Handmaid's Tale by McClelland and Stewart? How do you know he didn't get it from the Jehovah's Witnesses hymsong? How do you know he didn't get it from the Bible?

By chance do you have a source stating where the author got the name from?

Also I have not spoken of the issues of Eargon. Not once. Not at all. Again, I am speaking to how it was being dismissed with a hand wave. 

'It stole from X harharhar!' Simply means it was used by something else first. The Dark Tower series is heavily inspired by 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came' and I believe also quite a few westerns. Shouldn't we also be getting 111!1!!!ANRGYFCAE!!!!111 At Dark Tower series for using elements, hell it name is from the poem title! How more blatant can you be?

Is your issue that it happen to have elements and names used by others first (something that impossible to help), or that it does so badly?

And it is "Just so happens", because unless you know exactly why the author used that name or that element, its speculation. Somethings can be very clear that its a parody or derived work or continuation or spiritual successor.
I can't possibly know what the author has read or hasn't read. I can't know what other media the author has been exposed to. How can you know?

If the issue is that it does so badly, then discuss how it does so badly.

From the Wiki, the author was 14 when he started writing the series (Though 16 when he really got it or so). Though not impossible he was out of high school at that age, it would be a notable accomplishment (for either age). I was out of high school at 16. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

I was out of high school at 16. 

Hey, me too! High five!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:19 pm »

I was out of high school at 16. 

Hey, me too! High five!

*highfives!*

Yea, when I was in High School Cali just started the exit exam that was a de facto high school diploma and I took that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »

good works take time and love
but how long will it take you to mangel a qiuck knock off out in days.

most of the time the knock off will say it has more of the good stuff(guns and girls)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

Im not implying anything,I was putting the Bible in a Religious Text, this isnt 4chan.

You are correct.  This is not 4chan.  How is that relevant to the discussion?

Also, the Bible is a religious text.  I'm not sure how you would put it "in" one.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:53 pm »

He meant that he was putting the Bible in a separate category from The Dark Tower, as one is an admitted work of fiction and the other is a religious text, which purports to contain the truth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2010, 08:30:43 pm »

Interesting. Still though you gotta appreciate that the author was able to draw an emotional responce from you about the character. That no easy feat.

yeah. I'm not saying it is a bad book, mind you. I am enjoying it. It's just that this guy has been straightfowardly dislikeable over two books, and apparently in the third one he is being a fast facewash, which is not enough for me to like him
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:18 am »

I'll be honest and say I didn't read through the whole topic, so I may be just regurgitating something someone else has already said.

I think the key issue here is not that so-called "poor" media is so popular.  After all, what makes it poor?  The shallowness, the easy reading, the lack of serious, deeper thought-invoking narrative?  The presence of cliche story elements?  It's safe to assume that this is really what we're discussing here.  Does that make it "poor", no, I wouldn't say so.  I'm sure we all enjoy from time to time the hollow husk of easy to consume media.  That begs the question, why is shallow, easy to consume media that lacks serious depth so popular amongst the majority of the population and often leads to the exclusion of their counterpart?  Unfortunately the answer is clear.  That's not what people want.  It's not what the average person seeks out or enjoys most.  People can argue about what makes a book good or bad but it doesn't change the reality of it.  I think we can all agree that the average consumer isn't looking for depth and carefully crafted and meticulously edited media for their consumption, they want to be spoon-fed a roller coaster ride of emotion, even it's cliche and narrow.  Think about how popular mindless action movies are, and how everyone in this topic has probably enjoyed one at some point.

It's not the idea that people enjoy poor quality media that I find repulsive, it's the fact many people exclude the more refined books or movies that require some effort and thought from their lives completely.  Hell, it even applies to videogames.  I can only dream of a world where people prefer turn-based strategy to killing zombies.  I tried to get a friend into one and after about five minutes he said "this is boring" and never tried it again.  Likewise, I doubt a Twilight reader would sit through Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Atlas Shrugged without yawning and wishing it was over.

Then you have the types that are repulsed by this cliche, shallow experience.  Is a book bad if it accomplishes what it set out to do?  I wouldn't say so.  But let's not obfuscate the point or get all high-brow about media like Twilight.  It is what it is. Don't try to put it on an equal artistic or literary level as actual great works.  And it's unfortunate this type of book is the only thing many people will read or care to read on their own time.  We don't need to take some relativistic view and pretend all works have equal merit, or that my scribble on a piece of paper is on par with Van Gogh, because that's really where that line of thinking leads.  I enjoy a nice cliche fantasy or sci-fi novel now and then, but I also agree something with more meat and substance to it is preferable.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:58 am »

I'll be honest and say I didn't read through the whole topic, so I may be just regurgitating something someone else has already said.

I think the key issue here is not that so-called "poor" media is so popular.  After all, what makes it poor?  The shallowness, the easy reading, the lack of serious, deeper thought-invoking narrative?  The presence of cliche story elements?  It's safe to assume that this is really what we're discussing here.  Does that make it "poor", no, I wouldn't say so.  I'm sure we all enjoy from time to time the hollow husk of easy to consume media.  That begs the question, why is shallow, easy to consume media that lacks serious depth so popular amongst the majority of the population and often leads to the exclusion of their counterpart?  Unfortunately the answer is clear.  That's not what people want.  It's not what the average person seeks out or enjoys most.  People can argue about what makes a book good or bad but it doesn't change the reality of it.  I think we can all agree that the average consumer isn't looking for depth and carefully crafted and meticulously edited media for their consumption, they want to be spoon-fed a roller coaster ride of emotion, even it's cliche and narrow.  Think about how popular mindless action movies are, and how everyone in this topic has probably enjoyed one at some point.

It's not the idea that people enjoy poor quality media that I find repulsive, it's the fact many people exclude the more refined books or movies that require some effort and thought from their lives completely.  Hell, it even applies to videogames.  I can only dream of a world where people prefer turn-based strategy to killing zombies.  I tried to get a friend into one and after about five minutes he said "this is boring" and never tried it again.  Likewise, I doubt a Twilight reader would sit through Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Atlas Shrugged without yawning and wishing it was over.

Then you have the types that are repulsed by this cliche, shallow experience.  Is a book bad if it accomplishes what it set out to do?  I wouldn't say so.  But let's not obfuscate the point or get all high-brow about media like Twilight.  It is what it is. Don't try to put it on an equal artistic or literary level as actual great works.  And it's unfortunate this type of book is the only thing many people will read or care to read on their own time.  We don't need to take some relativistic view and pretend all works have equal merit, or that my scribble on a piece of paper is on par with Van Gogh, because that's really where that line of thinking leads.  I enjoy a nice cliche fantasy or sci-fi novel now and then, but I also agree something with more meat and substance to it is preferable.

QFT

I think you said it best of all in this thread.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Pathos

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:48 am »

On the note of Eragon: In the latest book, he ripped a scene ( the whipping scene ) straight from the Starship Troopers movie. I was just like, "WTF THIS IS WAY TOO BLATANT". It even has the older father figure ( who hadn't given any hint at this point of being anyone who'd do such a thing ) give the guy something to chew down on.

Of course, being Paolini, he has to one-up ( or forty-five up ) Starship Troopers and have the guy get given FIFTY LASHINGS. Or something ridiculous like that.

Needless to say, Paolini is an idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7