Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?  (Read 6703 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 05:52:23 am »

You'
Yes, that is my previous post.  Just quoting me isn't an answer to my question though.  Why do you think that that post implies that I think that a person's profession dictates their mental capacity?
You're right, you didn't said that.

Then again, I never said you did. What your statement implies (in particular this part: "You know, our society needs people who don't think very much in order to function.") is that some people shouldn't try to develop intellectually. Which in my opinion is actually worse  than saying that a person's profession dictates his intellectual capacity
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 06:02:32 am »

That was meant as a statement of fact, not a judgment of what people should or shouldn't do.  Our society needs people who don't question authority, who just mindlessly follow, or do things without thinking about them, in order to function.  To put it another way, people who think there isn't anything wrong (or don't think there is anything wrong) with not "developing intellectually" are essential for our modern industrialized society to function.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:05:53 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:51 am »

I call into question the factuality of that statement, and I call into question to what extent it's not "judging what they should do" while at the same time preaching about the social need for lumpen. Why do you think that manual labor is antagonized to intellectual development? Why can't a firefighter both perform his job well and be cultured?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:03 am »

I call into question the factuality of that statement, and I call into question to what extent it's not "judging what they should do" while at the same time preaching about the social need for lumpen. Why do you think that manual labor is antagonized to intellectual development? Why can't a firefighter both perform his job well and be cultured?

I'm assuming he's not talking about firefighters so much as he's talking about people who spend the majority of their waking adult lives performing a single mind numbing task over and over. Fire fighting, while probobly not a terrible fun job, is at least challenging. You ever worked in a factory? 8 hours a day of closing boxes? Its soul crushing if you have any concept of what your time is worth to you.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 08:36:49 am »

The time of the Renaissance man ended a while ago. Although, Firefighters probably have a lot of free time (if they don't, your neighborhood probably has a serial arsonist), meaning they could certainly spend that time "improving themselves".

I think what Ioric is referring to (and what fenrif developed) is that the world needs "ants", near-faceless functionaries, to survive.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 08:42:40 am »

I'm assuming he's not talking about firefighters so much as he's talking about people who spend the majority of their waking adult lives performing a single mind numbing task over and over. Fire fighting, while probobly not a terrible fun job, is at least challenging. You ever worked in a factory? 8 hours a day of closing boxes? Its soul crushing if you have any concept of what your time is worth to you.
You miss the point. I am not saying that labor is always by default "enhacing" (for lack of a better word). I am very aware that there are menial labors that not only don't contribute to the personal growth of the performer, and indeed, may hinder it. What I am saying is that performing that labor does not mean that the person who does it cannot have intellectual pursuits and interests outside it.  You might be doing a menial job, but it's not necessarily the only thing you can do

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:24 am »

What was this thread about again because I forgot.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:20 am »

George R.R. Martin

My lord there are ban-HHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I thought Eragon was great until I started reading other literature and realizing that none of his shit was original (Gilead, bitches dont know shit bout Dark Tower) I read some of the works he took ideas from and saw that those were the cool books.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:53 pm »

Took ideas from?

If he took them then there would would been law suits about it. Its against the law and called plagiarism and a few others things.

You can go back ad infintium to the start of story telling and seeing the same same stories and plots and mechanics and macguffins.
 ::)

How do you know what the author read or liked to read? How do you what his influences were? Just because something is older doesn't mean the author has read and got his idea from the older work. Its possible but not forbadem.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »

Took ideas from?

If he took them then there would would been law suits about it. Its against the law and called plagiarism and a few others things.

You can go back ad infintium to the start of story telling and seeing the same same stories and plots and mechanics and macguffins.
 ::)

How do you know what the author read or liked to read? How do you what his influences were? Just because something is older doesn't mean the author has read and got his idea from the older work. Its possible but not forbadem.

He made it Star Wars sans the Force and added Mary Sue princesses. HE BURNS MAH SOUL
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »

Took ideas from?

Or not. Because taking ideas from elsewhere does not qualify as plagiarism, but as... "inspiration", if you may. If you went along killing every story that copied elements from another story, you'd kill most of the literature in the world. A good deal of it would be crap, granted, but you would also kill good works in the process

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:10 pm »

I like how those who speak Welsh* control time and space.

*Albeit mangled Welsh.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

I like how those who speak Welsh* control time and space.

*Albeit mangled Welsh.

whut?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:12 pm »

All of the "Magic" words in Eragon are either Welsh or based off of Welsh wordparts.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:47 pm »

oh.

I wonder why they bother with actually typing the "magic words" and don't simply describe it as "you hear arcane mumbling", or whatever
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7