Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2010: Stopping Catsplosion  (Read 1620 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2010: Stopping Catsplosion
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

Welp, in 40d, I never had a problem with catsplosion, either because of quick butchering or atomsmashing. However, I let an immigrant wave with two female cats sneak in undetected who immediately friendlied up to my furnace operator, who already had one female cat. It was a ticking time bomb. Somehow, the bastard ended up with a male cat as well; so, there's 3 breeding cats that are gonna start shooting babies out soon.

How do I fix this? I tried setting [HOMEOTHERM] in the cat's raws to like 100000, but they didn't catch fire and go away.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: DF2010: Stopping Catsplosion
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »

Did you edit the global raws or the local raws that are in your save folder?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »

Local raws.
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »

You might try setting the melting point of its materials really low, so that they just melt.

-edit- I just checked. Add this to the end of their creature entry:

[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
    [HEATDAM_POINT:9900]

That should immediately make them burn to death without the messy melted puddle that would be created if they melted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:16:29 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15:33 pm »

Where would I do that, exactly?

Edit: Attempted to set skin melting point in material_template_default to 0, before reading the above edit. EVERYTHING'S SKIN JUST MELTED AWAY AND THEY BLED TO DEATH.

Also, it worked! :D
Praise you for fixing my little cat problem. I imagine it would have been a lot more Fun to fix it without modding, but I like my fort so far, so.. ^^
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:27:33 pm by Danjen »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »

Hehe, glad to help.

If you want another method of killing pets you can set up a burrow with a hallway, lever, and a spike right by the lever attached to it. Assign that specific dwarf to the burrow and order the lever to be pulled on repeat. The owner will go in and start pulling, and the cat will run up and be skewered. It also skewers anything else that happens to follow the dwarf - like children, which is good or bad depending on how crazy you are :)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »

That's probably a better method than the atomsmasher room I cobbled together.

I play this game and you still think I'm sane. That's cute. :P

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:23:24 pm »

remove the [child:1] tag from the cats?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »

My steel clad dwarf-cat-men will be over to 'speak' to your people soon OP.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 02:29:39 pm »

dwarf-cat-men

human-animal hybrid
dwarf-animal hybrid

what have you done!?!?!?!?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:46:42 pm »

dwarf-cat-men

human-animal hybrid
dwarf-animal hybrid

what have you done!?!?!?!?

The normal crazy experiments??  :-\
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:27 pm »

The breeding power of cats, with the killing power of doorfs.  It's a win win.  Except for they need to eat more normal cats of course..

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »

In d40 I dealt with catspolsions by butchering kittens as soon as they were produced, which gave me a steady supply of bones, skulls and leather (oh and meat too). Alternatively I stuck them all in a cage so they wouldn't breed.

I think I read that DF2010 made kittens only produce 1 skull and not much else because they're so tiny. But you still get rid of the kitten anyway which is the main point. Yes it's a little micromanagement so maybe extravagant cat killing methods are more suitable if you don't want the boring cage option.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:16 pm »

The breeding power of cats, with the killing power of doorfs.  It's a win win.  Except for they need to eat more normal cats of course..
Cats don't eat. The kill relatively harmless little critters for fun, drop them off by the dwarf they adopt, and apparently they have devoloped some kind of venom in their fangs that prevents their little victims from decomposing properly, leaving their trophies to stand for all time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.