Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123771 times)

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:15 am »

Quote from: Tarn Adams
04/25/2010: The forum has been moved and updated. Somehow during that time my non-spam email count got back up to 150, but I've got it down to 30 again. The SDL/OpenGL/40d# merge is underway. Here's an interview I did for Game Console.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:26:10 am by Richards »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:50 am »

I've contorted the 0.31 code to look more or less like the 40d# code, but I still need to rewrite the screens, which'll take a while (and be a source of all the merge bugs). Everything's working at a basic level though, so it looks like it'll at least go through, even if it takes a bit more time to clean it up. The rest of the game needs cleaning up anyway, so it'll fit right in. After I get the merge out, I imagine the priorities will be military/equipment bugs and merge bugs, unless something worse has crept onto the bug tracker in this time.

Looks like we're in for a wait, if rewriting the screens takes a while.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »

Hmm, so does the windows release still come out soon like next week (not sure when that quote was posted, said in about a week) or will it be a longer wait I wonder?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:22 am »

I am not sure what is possessing everyone around here. Are you all in fey moods or something? We are all perfectly capable of reading the devlog, so you do not need to post it here. If someone is following the forums, they should also be able to check the devlog on their own seeing as the devlog updates far less frequently than the forums.

The quote from Richards is, obviously, the 4/25/2010 devlog while the quote from Orkel is the 4/27/10 devlog for anyone who is confused.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:58 am »

I am not sure what is possessing everyone around here. Are you all in fey moods or something? We are all perfectly capable of reading the devlog, so you do not need to post it here. If someone is following the forums, they should also be able to check the devlog on their own seeing as the devlog updates far less frequently than the forums.

The quote from Richards is, obviously, the 4/25/2010 devlog while the quote from Orkel is the 4/27/10 devlog for anyone who is confused.

Strange people should use a discussion board to discuss things . . . .

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

I agree. Instead of reposting devlog posts, they should be commenting on them or something. Reposting them is just useless.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2010, 11:49:41 am »

It takes up hardly any space, it's basically a tradition here, and it's not outlandish to quote something that you're responding to.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2010, 11:54:58 am »

It's one thing to quote the devlog and then respond to it with some inane comment. That's fine, that's cool. That's even expected. Orkel? Yeah, that was topical. Made sense. However, just posting a devlog quote as the only thing in the post is pointless. There exists no purpose to it. Totaku already encapsulated the "Oh joy! Devlog post!" without requiring to post the thing. I just don't see why people feel the need to post a blank post with a devlog quote in it if the quote doesn't directly respond to a prior post. It's a pet peeve of mine, I suppose... Not the first time I've seen it happen and probably wont be the last time. :P

I'll just shut up.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:31 pm »

Well, it is right near a river delta, is rich in flux and bauxite, and also has a crazy amount of bituminous coal. I can also get just about any metal (in ore OR bar form) from the caravan. It's got a nice section of trees and stuff, too. I dug down to the cavern and it's pretty swanky there, too. It seems like it has an entire congruous section of land over all three Z levels, so it should make exploring pretty easy, too.

I was hoping to locate a magma pipe, but with the amount of bauxite I'm thinking I may just dig my way down to the Sea of Fun and carefully build a Crazy Bauxite Fun Slide.

I used to have a fort in one of the interim versions after 3d but before 40d that was lovingly called Bokstrasp. It was epic. It had a river, flux, and bauxite. Oh, and it also straddled a magma pipe. I think the only thing it lacked was sand. Wait, no... It had that too. I can never get Bokstrasp back... :( Sadness...

I like this map, though. The elves also seem to be frequently accosted by mountain goats. It's aggravating, though, because there's next to nothing to hunt. This may be something related to the fish bug, tho.

Very nice embark location.  If you didn't tweak a ton of parameters to get that location, would you mind sharing the random seeds?  Right now due to the magma pipe in Iceland, I'm stuck far from home on a loaner laptop.  World generation takes FOREVER, yet I want to try out the new version...

Sorry for the long response time. Took me a while to remember how to get the seeds! ;)

Code: [Select]
[TITLE:LARGE REGION]
[SEED:3635661512]
[HISTORY_SEED:494294214]
[NAME_SEED:4158420873]
[CREATURE_SEED:2942805484]

It's a standard Large Region, so if you haven't modified that worldgen type then it should generate just fine. If you want I can upload a clean copy of the world to DFFD along with a screenshot of where I like to start...

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:30 pm »

While your at telling people how to post when it doesn't do harm. Would you also like to use the edit button unless it has disappeared since I've last looked...It takes up needless space and is only for people who want their post count to go high - or to bump etc.

Edit: The edit button is actually modify at the top right. It is there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:11:03 pm by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2010, 02:22:06 pm »

It's one thing to quote the devlog and then respond to it with some inane comment. That's fine, that's cool. That's even expected. Orkel? Yeah, that was topical. Made sense. However, just posting a devlog quote as the only thing in the post is pointless. There exists no purpose to it. Totaku already encapsulated the "Oh joy! Devlog post!" without requiring to post the thing. I just don't see why people feel the need to post a blank post with a devlog quote in it if the quote doesn't directly respond to a prior post. It's a pet peeve of mine, I suppose... Not the first time I've seen it happen and probably wont be the last time. :P

I'll just shut up.

I prefer to quote the devlog if I'm responding/commenting to it.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2010, 03:11:27 pm »

While your at telling people how to post when it doesn't do harm. Would you also like to use the edit button unless it has disappeared since I've last looked...It takes up needless space and is only for people who want their post count to go high - or to bump etc.

Edit: The edit button is actually modify at the top right. It is there.

I disagree, the edit button does not take up "needless space" and is used to modify a post to include pertinent information to that post's content. The edit button doesn't "bump" a topic or increase your post count.

If you meant I should have used the edit button, then yes. I'm preoccupied with homework and remembered I meant to post those seeds. Instead of hitting edit to add it as an addendum, I accidentally posted it as a whole new post. I enjoy this pointless discourse with you, however, as it's interesting that you surmise that I care about post counts or that they are, somehow, meaningful in any extent.

Back on more of a topic, I would also prefer to quote the devlog if I'm responding or commenting to it as I think that just quoting it as a response has very limited applications that I have not currently seen it used as.

On topic now, I guess I misinterpreted when the merge would happen, although I am excited to see if it results in a faster game with a larger embark for me. While I would like military fixes soon, the merge really should take precedence as it requires, as Toady stated in the devlog, contorting of the code. :) If he changed other stuff too much then it might have been even harder for the merge, especially with those menu crashes that have been cropping up.

Here's hoping *0.31.04* is the pinnacle of craftsdwarfship! Less bugs mean more features! Drown them in magma!

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »

I too find myself in wait for the 31.04 release, especially since I'm stuck at a melting point crash zone after a reclaim from a dragon rampage at year 5  :P After learning that throwing 80 poorly armed and ill trained dwarves at a dragon, you end up with a dead dragon and 12 dwarves left, none of which have enough limbs left to handle a shovel to bury the dead or stitch each other up before bleeding to death  :o But now that I can't really progress on this game attempt without being to recycle my junk gear into fresh attempts at surviveable gear, I lurk here in wait for the announcement for  31.04's release and that yes, the melt item bug has been tracked down and squished like a spider in the bed of an obese man who rolls over in his sleep a lot.  ;D

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletons
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2010, 08:36:56 pm »

I don't know if it will help, but in a simulation I made a while ago, I explained animated skeletons by a mechanism where they have muscles and tendons made of pure *magic*. You might be able to make yours less of a special case with something similar... all you'd need is a new material for their "flesh" that can hold them together but is otherwise invisible and doesn't insulate the bones from damage.

Something like this might also make a nice distinction between skeletons and zombies, where the latter will have bits fall off as tendons rot while the former will not.

Just a thought.

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2010, 01:37:57 pm »

I'm playing in Linux with WINE. It works 'perfectly'. Perfect in this case meaning identical to how it works in Windows, which is admittedly less than perfect.

I've tried running the new DF via WINE on my new iMac; load times, world gen, and general frame rate are all abysmally slow.  Am I doing something wrong, or was this an issue with DF itself?  It seems like some people were also having similar problems, and that the most recent update resolved them.

Either way, I'm guessing it's going to be a while before a mac-compatable version of the new-and-improved DF is released...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23