Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123838 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2010, 07:04:09 am »

I think it's just blunt damage that's broke right now.  If you used spikes or axe traps, I think it still works.  (Disclaimer: I haven't tried)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2010, 09:12:07 am »

^^^ It's dependent on worldgen parameters in ways that aren't yet entirely clear.  Some worlds don't seem to get it at all.  There's a good chance your fort would be fine.

Thank you and the rest that responded concerning the melting bug.  I think I shall strike the earth indeed, then! 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2010, 09:33:52 am »

Hi!

I think it's just blunt damage that's broke right now.  If you used spikes or axe traps, I think it still works.  (Disclaimer: I haven't tried)

Personally, I stopped using stone traps back in the 2D days because if you have an individual within a group of hostiles triggering it, it would lure a random dwarf to their death as they went to refill the trap.

This being said, I have been a cheapskate using wooden spikes throughout the 3D versions, optimizing for injuries that did not kill instantly so the corpse wouldn't get stuck in my traps.

Experimentation in 31.01 against wildlife (mostly deers) have shown that you need on average about 2 or 3 fully stocked (10 spikes) weapon traps with menacing wooden spikes to kill a deer. Given the high number of spikes, I personally find the probability of serious injuries a little bit low, but not crippling so.

Using weapon traps with 10 giant axe blades or battles axes, I found that fatality occurred with one or two traps, usually with the first as legs or heads of animals got cut away.

In my personal opinion, it is good if the stone fall traps have been weakened. Unless you make it impossible for a creature to evade it, I would think that most animals would do fairly well to at least dodge most of it without getting insta-killed.

And given how much metal you find on your maps AND how quickly you can gain riches via the caravans, making traps using metal axes is not impossible.

Well, these are just my experiences and opinions.

Durin: Good luck! And I hope to hear the tales of your dwarves over in the Fortress mode section.

Deathworks

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2010, 10:49:07 pm »

Hey, Footkerchief- thanks. I didn't think it was virtual memory, because I'd basically just booted up my computer. But this evening, I tried again, and while using the site finder, Windows actually popped up a "virtual memory low" error. Who'd have thought a gig of ram isn't nearly enough anymore? At any rate, I not only increased the virtual memory, I cleared out a lot of junk from my hard drive (I think the older versions of DF took up a large part of the space) and now it's running fine again. Yay!

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2010, 01:17:48 am »

Slight FPS boost with said changes... just slight.  I just saved my fort in .02 and was getting 45-50fps.  This gets 65fps or so.

damn I'm lucky to break 15fps

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2010, 02:18:43 am »

Haha, great bug i've found.

Haulers successfully stealing tame vermins from caravan cages when you assign those vermin to the built cage.
Finis sanctificat media.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:20 am »

Old bug is old... :P
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2010, 03:54:56 am »

Slight FPS boost with said changes... just slight.  I just saved my fort in .02 and was getting 45-50fps.  This gets 65fps or so.

Have you tried data/init/init.txt [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0] or DF Accelerator?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2010, 06:50:21 am »

Hey, Footkerchief- thanks. I didn't think it was virtual memory, because I'd basically just booted up my computer. But this evening, I tried again, and while using the site finder, Windows actually popped up a "virtual memory low" error. Who'd have thought a gig of ram isn't nearly enough anymore? At any rate, I not only increased the virtual memory, I cleared out a lot of junk from my hard drive (I think the older versions of DF took up a large part of the space) and now it's running fine again. Yay!
Offtopic rant:  My work PC has 1GB of RAM, sharing that with an onboard ATI card... so effectively I have 896MB.  I'm getting a new PC this quarter FINALLY, but I use SQL Management Studio 2008 that sometimes decides it needs to ramp it's typical 150MB usage up to 850MB+ of memory when I edit a stored procedure.  Of course, it takes 10 minutes to ramp up to that so it's usually after I'm done editing said procedure and am back in Eclipse or Visual Studio doing something else before my computer finally grinds to a halt doing massive paging ops to the hard disk.  (It also doesn't help that Eclipse uses up 150MB+ and Firefox uses ~150MB as well.)  I actually just noticed the other day how lightweight Excel 2003 is (only 7MB!) but I imagine the newer office versions have been grossly inflated.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MUAHAA THE FRENCH

• Bay Watcher
  • you see my friend, we've both been boiled alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2010, 08:53:39 am »

4x4 map in the new version nets me 100fps even with lots and lots of dwarves!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:44 am »

4x4 map in the new version nets me 100fps even with lots and lots of dwarves!
Yeah its running quiet well for me too but I cap my fps at 50 to make it look more life like.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2010, 11:24:43 am »

Offtopic rant:  My work PC has 1GB of RAM, sharing that with an onboard ATI card... so effectively I have 896MB.  I'm getting a new PC this quarter FINALLY, but I use SQL Management Studio 2008 that sometimes decides it needs to ramp it's typical 150MB usage up to 850MB+ of memory when I edit a stored procedure.  Of course, it takes 10 minutes to ramp up to that so it's usually after I'm done editing said procedure and am back in Eclipse or Visual Studio doing something else before my computer finally grinds to a halt doing massive paging ops to the hard disk.  (It also doesn't help that Eclipse uses up 150MB+ and Firefox uses ~150MB as well.)  I actually just noticed the other day how lightweight Excel 2003 is (only 7MB!) but I imagine the newer office versions have been grossly inflated.

EsnRedshirt: DF can easily take close to 2 GB of active RAM during memory-intensive tasks like worldgen and site finding.  Given that the OS needs some, many people like to have the wiki and forums open in a browser, etc. you really want 3 GB of physical memory to smoothly run DF2010 without swapping.  If you've got less than that, you definitely need enough virtual memory to let it swap; I usually recommend a minimum virtual memory (swap space) of the greater of: (4 GB) or (1.5 * physical memory) or (1 * physical memory * processor cores); a better level would be the greater of (8 GB) or (2 * physical memory) or (1.5 * physical memory * processor cores). 

Andir: That's sad; memory is so cheap these days and on older machines makes a huge difference.  I've been trying to get even our less technical folks up to 2 GB of RAM, and at least 3 GB for anyone doing programming or engineering, and it's really improved things.  Current Firefox is a definite memory hog, I believe because they were pushing for speed; with only a few tabs mine's currently using ~100 MB active, ~200 MB peak working. The good news is that in modern terms, Excel is fairly lightweight.  Microsoft Office 2007 (Pro / Enterprise) is about 8 MB active, 20 MB peak working with basically nothing open; goes up to about 20 MB active, 50 MB peak working with ordinary spreadsheets (no VB, recursion, etc. just cells with data and ordinary math).   

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:13 pm »

memory is so cheap these days and on older machines makes a huge difference.  I've been trying to get even our less technical folks up to 2 GB of RAM, and at least 3 GB for anyone doing programming or engineering, and it's really improved things.
Just be glad you work in a place that this is easy to do... As it is now, just getting memory is harder to acquisition than a new PC.  Trust me, I tried!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »

Damn, there haven't been any new bugtracker changelog bugfixes in two days. I keep checking it almost hourly but no :<
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »

Damn, there haven't been any new bugtracker changelog bugfixes in two days. I keep checking it almost hourly but no :<
I keep hoping that he's fixed them but forgot to update the tracker.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23